PDA

View Full Version : Horrified by hearing loss

QMiller
31-01-17, 19:50
I came down with a nasty virus just over a week ago that I'm still fighting. I actually posted about it recently, as my last fear, which was super irrational, related to this idea in my head that my body wasn't fighting the virus properly due to some reaction to eating gluten. Well, I'm off that and onto another worry, but this one is definitely more rational and substantial...

About 4-5 days ago, 1 day after a having horrible pain in my right ear during the night, I experienced a sudden loss of hearing in my right ear. My left ear seems to be at about 100%, and my right ear 20%-30%. I'm absolutely horrified. Have not had med anxiety this bad since 2015. There are tons of stories online of people experiencing sensorineural hearing loss (which is way, way, way more common a condition than you'd ever expect) after a mysterious virus. There's even a professional online who runs a hearing loss website and responds to people with concerns/questions, who said “Any time you get a sinus or middle ear infection, the virus can “jump” to your inner ear and cause hearing loss (with tinnitus) and balance problems. Sometimes your body fights this off and your hearing returns, and sometimes it doesn’t and you end up with permanent hearing loss.”

I've been struggling with a sinus infection for a week now, and I'm almost positive something bad is happening with my ear. Music is beyond important in my life, and I literally cannot afford to have permanent hearing loss. Please someone console me or make sense of this... I am an otherwise healthy young adult.

.Poppy.
31-01-17, 20:48
I'm not a professional, but I did study (and graduate) with a degree in speech pathology, were I took many audiology courses taught by an experienced audiologist.

What you're talking about can happen and it might be more common than you expect, but if I recall correctly it's still not all that common. More common would be hearing loss/tinnitus caused by taking certain medications (and before you freak out, I'm talking about powerful medications, like chemo, nothing over the counter or a standard antibiotic).

Based on your description, it is very, very likely this is just an ear infection, plain and simple. Have you seen a doctor?

QMiller
01-02-17, 02:50
I'm not a professional, but I did study (and graduate) with a degree in speech pathology, were I took many audiology courses taught by an experienced audiologist.

What you're talking about can happen and it might be more common than you expect, but if I recall correctly it's still not all that common. More common would be hearing loss/tinnitus caused by taking certain medications (and before you freak out, I'm talking about powerful medications, like chemo, nothing over the counter or a standard antibiotic).

Based on your description, it is very, very likely this is just an ear infection, plain and simple. Have you seen a doctor?

Yes. He diagnosed me with a sinus infection (which I was already certain I had). He also checked out my ear and said there was "definitely pressure" but no sign of infection I guess? He prescribed me antibiotics-- sort of a potentially controversial choice for a sinus infection this early on, but one I'm happy with nonetheless as I'm so worried about what's going on that I'd be happy to take them anyways precautionarily

.Poppy.
01-02-17, 15:04
Okay. Did he do anything specific with your ear, or just look inside?

My unmedical over-the-internet guess is that the pressure could potentially be the early stages of an infection and that it is what is causing your hearing loss. The antibiotics should take care of it quickly and you'll be back to normal.

If you still have issues after finishing your antibiotics, by all means go back. I'm not sure if a regular GP would have the equipment to do so, but certainly an ENT or audiologist can tell very easily if your hearing loss is sensorineural or conductive and there are absolutely ways to go about correcting both IF there is a problem.

Do you have any vertigo by any chance?

QMiller
02-02-17, 13:20
Okay. Did he do anything specific with your ear, or just look inside?

My unmedical over-the-internet guess is that the pressure could potentially be the early stages of an infection and that it is what is causing your hearing loss. The antibiotics should take care of it quickly and you'll be back to normal.

If you still have issues after finishing your antibiotics, by all means go back. I'm not sure if a regular GP would have the equipment to do so, but certainly an ENT or audiologist can tell very easily if your hearing loss is sensorineural or conductive and there are absolutely ways to go about correcting both IF there is a problem.

Do you have any vertigo by any chance?

He just looked inside.

No, luckily I don't have any vertigo or balance issues. Just very muffled hearing in my right ear. It's essentially useless. And my left ear is starting to go now as well. I really can't have this right now... why on earth does all this shit have to happen to me? :mad::weep:

.Poppy.
03-02-17, 14:58
He just looked inside.

No, luckily I don't have any vertigo or balance issues. Just very muffled hearing in my right ear. It's essentially useless. And my left ear is starting to go now as well. I really can't have this right now... why on earth does all this shit have to happen to me? :mad::weep:

Try to breathe and relax. I've been there and know it's sooo much easier said than done, but do your best. Take a nap or watch a funny movie if it helps.

Based on what you're saying it sounds very much like you just have a bad cold. It WILL get better.