PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia

Hanbr
31-01-17, 21:56
Hi, I am a 22 year old searching for a way to vent about my relentless battle with anxiety and also possible reassurance from others that the symptoms I am experiencing have been experienced by fellow sufferers?

I began suffering from anxiety when I was 13, but it did not affect my life so I presumed my symptoms were due to hormones. I then suffered from severe agoraphobia in 2013 and could not leave the house for 6 months - but I managed to overcome this and began to lead a relatively normal life attending university, moving out from home and enjoying holidays.
However, in August last year my anxiety began to spiral downhill and I am now again nearly housebound - although this time nothing seems to help.
My main symptoms are; dizziness and depersonalisation and breathless / feeling the need to constantly yawn (these are the main ones which restrict me) - this leads to me fearing I am about to die, unfortunately the symptoms are around nearly 24/7 now and I am convinced something is seriously wrong - even though I have had all the medical tests.
I have tried private counselling, NHS counselling, mindfulness, medication (paroxtine) yoga, exercise, all the self-help books imaginable and nothing seems to help.

So I guess I am just asking if there is any other suggestions people have? I have been suggested dulextine but am reluctant to try another drug - has anyone else tried this particular one?

I would be really grateful for any support!

Serphenia
01-02-17, 03:04
How did you manage to overcome the fear the first time ?

Have you tried CBT?

Which things are you having a hard time dealing with?

Hanbr
01-02-17, 10:29
Hi!

Everything sort of just clicked for me last time, but I was on medication (same as now) and have very supportive family and friends so was doing exposure therapy and seeing a private counsellor - she really helped (but I saw her again and this time)

I have tried CBT before and have been re-referred and to an NHS psychiatrist

I just find it hard leaving the house really - the physical symptoms really scare me and I am just convinced I am going to collapse and something awful is going to happen - my symptoms feel like they are there 24/7 :weep::weep:

ana
01-02-17, 10:33
As I was reading your post, I kept saying 'that's me/just like me!' My anxiety started when I was 13, too, and at the time, I thought it was something hormonal that would soon go away. As it turned out, it didn't. I'm also agoraphobic and struggle to go out and walk places. I am sorry to hear you're homebound again. I find that very few things work for me, when it comes to decreasing my anxiety and managing it to a reasonable degree. So far, I've been on 9 types of medication, and am currently taking Venlafaxine and Escitalopram (both of which appear to be working to a degree, but not perfectly..) I'm also seeing a therapist once a week.

As for what works, it beats me! :shrug: However, if I'm generally happy and experiencing positive emotions as well as when I'm busy working and keeping my mind focused on something I enjoy (like exercise or seeing friends), the anxiety improves.

Perhaps you could try exposure therapy? You could start by walking to the front door and opening it (looking out), and move on from there.

Hanbr
01-02-17, 10:50
Sorry you have to go through this awful illness too!
Don't suppose you have tried Duloxetine ha?
Yes those things work for me when I am busy too! But it is building my confidence up - I am still at university (in my 3rd year) but have been struggling to go in, this had started to get better just before Christmas then bam they gave us 2 months off and I have gone back to square one again

I have tried exposure therapy & a little bit of floo

ana
01-02-17, 12:36
I haven't been on Duloxetine, no. I have, however felt my best when on Clonazepam (though that's not a permanent solution...at all!). I know what you mean about confidence as it's what it all comes down to, really.
I also struggle going back to work after time off, and the only way out, I'm afraid, is through it. :weep: