PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on NMP

nomorepanic
01-02-17, 17:05
Please note that you may now see adverts appearing at the top of the forum page and also at the bottom.

We are trialing advertising so this is intentional and we have not been hacked or anything. :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
20-02-17, 07:34
https://www.nutreance.com/articles/redicalm?utm_medium=google_display&utm_campaign=redicalm_gb_discovery&utm_source=www.nomorepanic.co.uk&utm_term=social%20anxiety&gclid=CICinP-LntICFcwy0wodiGYK4Q

A new clinical study by Princeton Consumer Research says that you don't have to change your body's chemistry and open yourself up to harmful side effects or even addiction to break free from the cycle of negative behavior. You can treat this problem in an easy and inexpensive way that does not involve uncomfortable doctor visits or awkward therapy sessions.

Hmm...the study only gives the outcomes, the company themselves have concluded that this means no therapy. PCR seem to be a testing company or at least in this instance they were paid to conduct a test by the producer of this product.

And over time, RediCalm helps to calm your body's natural response to anxiety so you can break free from the cycle of negative behavior and feel like yourself again.

When you suffer from anxiety, you need something that helps provide immediate relief, and works in the long run to prevent feelings of anxiety in the first place. That is why Princeton Consumer Research performed a clinical trial to test RediCalm’s effectiveness within 30 minutes and over the course of 30 days.

The questions don't concern themselves with any long term gains and besides, 30 days can't be seen as long term in mental health.

There is no study of the ingredients in this. I wonder whether one or more could achieve the same, for much less cost? There are studies out there for some herbals so it might be worth looking.

I think people will have to approach some of the ads with caution if they are like this one. It grabbed my attention and whilst I know about some of the ingredients, it seems the seller talks the usual BS sales patter by twisting things.

Bigboyuk
20-02-17, 09:52
A question for NMP Admin. I some times get 3 ads on a page Top,Middle,Bottom I know they create much needed revenue for NMP was just wondering if there was supposed to be 3 on a page? TIA :)

venusbluejeans
20-02-17, 11:40
yeah they are all meant to be there :) just looks a lot different at the minute as we are all used to NMP without any ads at all.

They are still being moved around though to work out which positions will produce the more revenue :)

Bigboyuk
20-02-17, 12:04
yeah they are all meant to be there :) just looks a lot different at the minute as we are all used to NMP without any ads at all.

They are still being moved around though to work out which positions will produce the more revenue :) Ahh ok :) Been on sites where they are actually invading posts etc and yes you can click the 'X' to get rid of them, but hope they wont be doing that on here lol :) Cheers

pulisa
20-02-17, 12:45
I find them a pain but I know you need the revenue so it's whatever is best for NMP.

Catherine S
20-02-17, 13:33
Quick question for Venusbluejeans. ..are you living with Santa Claus :D

ISB

nomorepanic
20-02-17, 13:57
I know the adverts can be a little annoying but we are still trialing different ad positions and types to see what generates the best income.

We are certainly not getting rich from it but every little helps at the moment. :yesyes:

xBettyBoopx
20-02-17, 14:27
Wow lots of adverts but I don't blame you, you need the revenue :yesyes:

Bigboyuk
20-02-17, 15:35

ISB Don't get me started on Christmas at work they have a notice board and they are counting down how days left and it's not even spring :huh: Not good!!! Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Wow lots of adverts but I don't blame you, you need the revenue :yesyes: So true :) I just wonder how the revenue is made is when you click on them? I was thinking how about just hovering over them with the mouse pointer to generate revenue I think more ppl would be ok with that not sure if its technically possible to do this though? Cheers

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

A little problem which I hope the tech dept can look at and it's only happened since extra ads have been added no problems to report to prior this. when trying to scroll down or back up a forum page where there are 3 ads I noticed it's no longer smooth it's sort of juddery checked other sites and my email page and it scrolls up and down smoothly and no it's not my mind making it up lol, just wondered if some one can feed this back to the tech dept please? Many thanks :) Cheers

SLA
20-02-17, 16:07
Fairplay on the adverts, I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

This site gets a great deal of traffic, and it does need supporting financially.

Maybe you could do something like a Patreon page too.

Carnation
20-02-17, 17:21
BigBoy, I find the same thing with the juddery scrolling and sometimes I have problems signing in as they hover over that bit when using my mobile.

Nicola would also benefit from members donating a little from time to time.
As they say, every little bit helps. :)
We know it is free, but it won't be for Nicola.
She does what she has to do. x

Bigboyuk
20-02-17, 18:01
BigBoy, I find the same thing with the juddery scrolling and sometimes I have problems signing in as they hover over that bit when using my mobile.

Nicola would also benefit from members donating a little from time to time.
As they say, every little bit helps. :)
We know it is free, but it won't be for Nicola.
She does what she has to do. xSeems to be a slight problem then perhaps a bit of tweaking is required as the ads are served from a different sever (well on other forums they are) but this is on my computer and not a phone Cheers

nomorepanic
20-02-17, 18:20
Just to explain things ...

We are using some ads from Criteo and last night Alex implemented Google AdSense. We are trialing both in various places on the forum at the moment.

So you may get some ads based on your own personal browsing history and then the Google ads will be more related to the text on the page.

I am not sure about the juddery scrolling as I haven't seen it yet but it could be because of the ads. I have asked Alex but he may have no idea if we can do anything about that or not.

Catherine S
20-02-17, 18:31
Ah, that'd explain why I'm seeing all my ads in German then e.g... 'endlich stressless, buy this armchair'! I'd also just like to add that i'm not juddering :yesyes:

ISB ☺

Bigboyuk
20-02-17, 19:05
Just to explain things ...

We are using some ads from Criteo and last night Alex implemented Google AdSense. We are trialing both in various places on the forum at the moment.

So you may get some ads based on your own personal browsing history and then the Google ads will be more related to the text on the page.

I am not sure about the juddery scrolling as I haven't seen it yet but it could be because of the ads. I have asked Alex but he may have no idea if we can do anything about that or not. At least you have asked Alex it may be the syncing of the ads to NMP Just a thought at first it may be my batteries in my keyboard but it's not fingers crossed Alex may be able to work his magic :) Thank you Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
20-02-17, 23:28
Does that mean we be seeing the first "as of NMP made me anxious" on the HA board?

I'm slightly concerned it's telling me to get a pension and sign up to wrestling divas! :D

venusbluejeans
20-02-17, 23:36

ISB

Haha ISB I need to change my picture.

Catherine S
20-02-17, 23:50
Lol! :D

ISB

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 11:07
Do all the Ads move as in flick through to the next part I have noticed some do, some don't like the Virgin Media one that doesn't move think it should though! scrolling problems still persist and Iam being patient but it's slow Cheers

pulisa
21-02-17, 19:31
I'm getting ads for CT and MRI scans. Not great for anyone in an HA spiral.

nomorepanic
21-02-17, 20:16
I am getting ads for Hot Russian Women :roflmao:

Catherine S
21-02-17, 20:20
My stressless armchair ads are 'armless' then :D

ISB

Carnation
21-02-17, 21:52
Juddering seems to be getting worse and forum searching and games very slow to load. :( Is it just me?
I'm also getting ADs at the sides squashing up the threads. Is this just me as well?

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 22:01
Juddering seems to be getting worse and forum searching and games very slow to load. :( Is it just me?
I'm also getting ADs at the sides squashing up the threads. Is this just me as well?Yes (file://\\yes) the juddering is worse now, not sure about the games but will have a look. Could the ads be out of sync with the forum? Prehaps some could ask V-Bulletin Whats causing these problems. Thank you

nomorepanic
21-02-17, 22:02
There shouldn't be threads at the sides - just the top and bottom and in the middle of posts.

Are you on a phone or laptop?

nomorepanic
21-02-17, 22:03
bigboy - I don't think it is anything to do with VBulletin.

Carnation
21-02-17, 22:26
Laptop Nicola. ADs are appearing on the left-hand side, top, bottom and between threads and there is a lot of freezing when trying to write posts.
The ADs at the sides and middle seem to be advertising clothes.
One was Hackett and that is definitely something I have not searched for in my history??

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 22:29
bigboy - I don't think it is anything to do with VBulletin.No I know that, just wondered if they would have any ideas why since ads have been put on the forum why its causing this scrolling problem and if there is patch/code that could be used to sort the problem out I am windows 8.1 thanks

nomorepanic
21-02-17, 22:30
We don't have any ads on the side in the forum so not sure what is going on there with your laptop.

That will be an AdSense ad then being displayed.

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 22:34
We don't have any ads on the side in the forum so not sure what is going on there with your laptop.

That will be an AdSense ad then being displayed. On the games part of the forum you do down the left side of the forum quite big too, just wondering if the size of the ads could be made a bit smaller? TIA :) Cheers

nomorepanic
21-02-17, 22:40
Oh yeah Alex got that working then - didn't notice that but Carnation says they are appearing on the forum page

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 22:43
Oh yeah Alex got that working then - didn't notice that but Carnation says they are appearing on the forum pageAs in the forum page where all the forums are listed etc? Only top and bottom Nic Cheers

nomorepanic
21-02-17, 22:47
Yeah they shouldn't be at the sides on the forum page.

Carnation
21-02-17, 22:56
Sorry Nic, it is the games page that the Ads appear on the left-hand side.

BikerMatt
21-02-17, 23:39
So far I've bought a car, a flight and I've got a date with a lady from Malaysia :shades::shades::shades:

Seriously though, Good on you NMP. I hope it brings you some decent revenue!

nomorepanic
21-02-17, 23:49
If necessary Alex and I can have a conference call with someone from Google to see if they have any suggestions about the juddering but it won't be until next week as Alex is away with work the rest of this week.

nomorepanic
21-02-17, 23:49
So far I've bought a car, a flight and I've got a date with a lady from Malaysia :shades::shades::shades::roflmao::yahoo:

MyNameIsTerry
22-02-17, 00:02
On my 3.5 inch screen I'm finding I can click on one thread and it gives a different one. It's probably a resizing delay, the same happens on Digital Spy for that reason but I can see the screen move downwards on there, I can't on here.

---------- Post added at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

I am getting ads for Hot Russian Women :roflmao:

Well if it's based on browsing history, that should be mine! :blush:

Bigboyuk
22-02-17, 00:14
Yeah they shouldn't be at the sides on the forum page.[/QUOTE There not on the sides, just at the top and bottom
of the forum page :)

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

[QUOTE=nomorepanic;1650774]If necessary Alex and I can have a conference call with someone from Google to see if they have any suggestions about the juddering but it won't be until next week as Alex is away with work the rest of this week. Ok Cool Nic wasn't there some other ads served by another company too as I believed. Thank you again :)

Carnation
22-02-17, 00:26
Thanks Nic x

BikerMatt
22-02-17, 00:27
On my 3.5 inch screen I'm finding I can click on one thread and it gives a different one. It's probably a resizing delay, the same happens on Digital Spy for that reason but I can see the screen move downwards on there, I can't on here.

---------- Post added at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

Well if it's based on browsing history, that should be mine! :blush:

It sez women not ladyboys:shades:

MyNameIsTerry
22-02-17, 00:40

Yeah, I know but those are coming through fine so we're good there. :yesyes:

Alex
22-02-17, 08:55
I am away until Saturday but when I am back I will have a look at doing some optimisation to see if I can improve things.

The ads are loaded asynchronously, i.e. after the main page has loaded and I may be able to improve some of the code.

Thanks

Alex

Bigboyuk
22-02-17, 10:35
I am away until Saturday but when I am back I will have a look at doing some optimisation to see if I can improve things.

The ads are loaded asynchronously, i.e. after the main page has loaded and I may be able to improve some of the code.

Thanks

Alex Ok Thanks Alex, it's appreciated :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
22-02-17, 16:38
Thanks Alex.

It doesn't happen every time. In the last hour it's only happened 3 times.

I wonder how different screen sized are affected by this? I'm on a smallish mobile a lot rather than a tablet or laptop (laptop seems fine) and it's something I get elsewhere anyway. It's really bad on Digital Spy, it happens pretty much without fail on every page.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

I've just had one for Chinese women! :yahoo:

BikerMatt
22-02-17, 22:26
Thanks Alex.

It doesn't happen every time. In the last hour it's only happened 3 times.

I wonder how different screen sized are affected by this? I'm on a smallish mobile a lot rather than a tablet or laptop (laptop seems fine) and it's something I get elsewhere anyway. It's really bad on Digital Spy, it happens pretty much without fail on every page.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

I've just had one for Chinese women! :yahoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x70bndpc70

Carnation
23-02-17, 00:46
I've had one too for 'Single Women over 40' ???? :D

MyNameIsTerry
23-02-17, 06:33
I've had one too for 'Single Women over 40' ???? :D

I think it's catching up with me. Tonight I've has Muslim women, Russian women, Japanese women, Tuff Mudder Challenge, astro readings for my past life, outlawed martial skills and knitting wool. :yesyes:

That's probably enough for any FBI psychological profiler! :wacko:

---------- Post added at 05:25 ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x70bndpc70

:roflmao:

"I'm not a fascist. Fascists go around wearing black and telling people what to do whereas priests...more drink!!!"
"Hooray"

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/religion/t0829.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-religion.php)

---------- Post added at 06:33 ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 ----------

One has just popped up at the top - "the truth about statins, what doctors won't tell you". That should go down well on the HA board when everyone is telling OP's to trust their doctors. :winks:

I've just had a 70% plastic surgery discount pop up. If I'm not around on Monday, it's because of my breast enlargement...:D

Bigboyuk
23-02-17, 09:23
Well You come on here to get some help and surrounded by all this Gee, It's fun being on here reading all these posts:yesyes: Cheers

Carnation
23-02-17, 09:56
Terry, it's the 'knitting wool' that worries me. :unsure:

Bigboyuk
23-02-17, 20:28
I have noticed there is no ads relating to NMP like there used to be, think it's important to have some ads that relate to this site! What do others think?Cheers

Carnation
23-02-17, 23:00
Me too Bigboyuk.

All my ADs have been either retail, dateline, No win/No fee solicitors and so on.
None of them relating to any of my personal searches either. :shrug:

An idea would be to have some advertising for APPs for relaxation, meditation, yoga, relaxation tracks and stuff like that. I am sure they would get hit on massively. :)

MyNameIsTerry
23-02-17, 23:17
I've had the odd one for yoga retreats, psychotherapy in London (:shrug:), hypnotherapy, holiday cottages and things like that.

But it's mostly dating stuff. Which is nothing to do with my browsing history! Well I can't see any of it is,

I guess they need to see what makes them money. It's surely all going to be off the watchers though?

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Terry, it's the 'knitting wool' that worries me. :unsure:

Yeah, I think that's the one that adds "possible serial killer" for me.

I've got Euro women and phillipino women too. I just need blokes and shemales now!

BikerMatt
24-02-17, 00:14
"I'm not a fascist. Fascists go around wearing black and telling people what to do whereas priests...more drink!!!"
"Hooray"

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

"That would be an ecumenical matter"

MyNameIsTerry
24-02-17, 00:18
"Hooray"

"That would be an ecumenical matter"

Arse biscuits!!! :noangel:

Bigboyuk
24-02-17, 09:44
Me too Bigboyuk.

All my ADs have been either retail, dateline, No win/No fee solicitors and so on.
None of them relating to any of my personal searches either. :shrug:

An idea would be to have some advertising for APPs for relaxation, meditation, yoga, relaxation tracks and stuff like that. I am sure they would get hit on massively. :) Ahh I know the same old bull!, And nothing atall relating to this site?

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Arse biscuits!!! :noangel: Eww ,Terry a bit too chocolatey for me LOL, :roflmao:Cheers

nomorepanic
24-02-17, 23:28
At the moment we have ALL ads turned on and it is not optimised yet.

We have to allow AdSense to "learn" I think and we can then tweak it.

It hasn't been a week yet so still early days with it all and me and Alex configuring it differently. It is all very new to us as well.

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 00:09
At the moment we have ALL ads turned on and it is not optimised yet.

We have to allow AdSense to "learn" I think and we can then tweak it.

It hasn't been a week yet so still early days with it all and me and Alex configuring it differently. It is all very new to us as well. Thanks for the heads up appreciate it Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 05:00

I was just in a cancer thread and this cancer negligence one popped up!

https://www.mistreatment.com/medical-negligence/medical-negligence-claims/cancer-misdiagnosis-delay-in-treatment-claims/?gclid=CKecxYO7qtICFQQz0woduI8JUw

pulisa
25-02-17, 12:00
I've had a few Macmillan cancer ads..

Carnation
25-02-17, 14:02
Nicola & Alex,

I don't want you to think I am complaining, I just thought it would be informative to you both to know what is appearing on the site in AD form and how it is affecting the Site; including the juddering, which seems to have calmed down a bit now. :hugs:

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 14:32
Nicola & Alex,

I don't want you to think I am complaining, I just thought it would be informative to you both to know what is appearing on the site in AD form and how it is affecting the Site; including the juddering, which seems to have calmed down a bit now. :hugs: Well I don't think you are complaining :) Just letting them know whats happening :) Still some juddering to sort out so tweaks are necessary :) and have seen some therapy ads but not many don't think though some ads are appropriate for this site so my advice is if you don't like a ad click the X and select the option that best describes your view Like Eg: Don't Show this Ad again:)

Carnation
25-02-17, 16:14
Thanks for the tip Bigboy, I didn't know you could do that.
It always worries me if you click on the ADs that they have found they way in permanently! :unsure:

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 16:30
Thanks for the tip Bigboy, I didn't know you could do that.
It always worries me if you click on the ADs that they have found they way in permanently! :unsure: You are welcome forgot to add when you have clicked on the X there will be a Blue Button click on that then select a option that best suits you :) Don't click on the arrow, always the X :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 16:52
I've just had gay men's cruises. I did watch Cruising With Jane McDonald but surely your tracking isn't that advanced?!!! :blush:

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 16:59
I've just had gay men's cruises. I did watch Cruising With Jane McDonald but surely your tracking isn't that advanced?!!! :blush: LOL Terry technology is so advanced these days, don't think NMP has any control over ad content but may be wrong :) Cheers

Carnation
25-02-17, 18:54
Oh yes Terry. I am picking up things that Mr C has been browsing and he is a bit red-faced! :blush:
He's just said, "How do you know that?" "Ahh, I said. You'll have to be a bit more careful". :winks:

Noivous
25-02-17, 19:57
I have a 78 AMC Pacer I'd like to move. Any chance I could post it at the top of the misc forum? Preferably on the Top Trump thread. Lot of suckers...erm um I mean prospects on that one.:D

$50 or B.O. takes it!

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Hi Carnation!:hugs:

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

I also have a toilet plunger I'd let go for $3, an old set of dentures for $5, and a kitty litter box with 2 lbs. of kitty litter (used) for $3.99. Or you can have the whole lot for $12.50. As is.

It won't last long!

Thanks,

N

Carnation
25-02-17, 20:13
Hi to you too Noivous :wink:

I might be interested in the 'Litter package, if it's a girl user?'.
My Tom is very lively at the mo and it might calm him down. :D

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-17, 04:59
I've had a few Macmillan cancer ads..

One for The Daily Fail has just popped up. That's going to be hilariously ironic if it happens in next complaint thread about them! :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 04:59 ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 ----------

Oh yes Terry. I am picking up things that Mr C has been browsing and he is a bit red-faced! :blush:
He's just said, "How do you know that?" "Ahh, I said. You'll have to be a bit more careful". :winks:

Tell him he will go blind :whistles:

Alex
26-02-17, 20:41
Hi all

I have done some optimisation on the ads so please post some feedback. if you do find any issues it would be helpful if you could let me know

1) What device you are using i.e. iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 etc
2) Which browser i.e. Safari, Chrome - Don't worry if you don't know
3) What type of internet connection you are using i.e. Broadband or Mobile data (3G etc)

Thanks

Alex

Bigboyuk
26-02-17, 20:49
Hi Alex thanks for all the work you have done and will let you know of any problems! Thanks again :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-17, 13:52
Just had an ad for breast cancer testing. Some of the content is inappropriate, I was on the HA board when that popped up. That can't be my search history.

I'm also wondering about the therapy ads. I keep getting individual practices and I'm hoping these are not the unqualified types? One was hypnotherapy for smoking with a guarantee.

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Just had an ad for breast cancer testing. Some of the content is inappropriate, I was on the HA board when that popped up. That can't be my search history.

Ok, just had one about "my pregnancy symptoms". I know I've put some gut on but...:D

My self esteem just went downhill :D

nomorepanic
27-02-17, 13:59
Terry - we can't control the content of ads that easily. We can block individual sites - so I have blocked a certain man we are not allowed to mention on here :whistles:

I am just ignoring the ads and not even looking at them now to be honest.

If NMP generated a regular income to support its running costs then we wouldn't be in this position but it doesn't and hasn't done so for the 15 years it has been running. I can't expect Alex to pay for its ongoing running costs and upkeep when we are not even together any more and he has been more than generous helping me out as I have no income at all at the moment.

I don't know if you use Facebook or not but after every 2 or 3 posts from friends I get adverts and I find them more intrusive and annoying than the ones on here.

Maybe if you start blocking the ads that appear, it will learn which ones you don't want to see. Not sure as I have not really played with it that much.

Bigboyuk
27-02-17, 14:13
Terry - we can't control the content of ads that easily. We can block individual sites - so I have blocked a certain man we are not allowed to mention on here :whistles:

If NMP generated a regular income to support its running costs then we wouldn't be in this position but it doesn't and hasn't done so for the 15 years it has been running. I can't expect Alex to pay for its ongoing running costs and upkeep when we are not even together any more and he has been more than generous helping me out as I have no income at all at the moment.

I don't know if you use Facebook or not but after every 2 or 3 posts from friends I get adverts and I find them more intrusive and annoying than the ones on here.

Maybe if you start blocking the ads that appear, it will learn which ones you don't want to see. Not sure as I have not really played with it that much. Nic I take it that NMP hosts to another company to run it's servers etc and this cost is obviously getting higher each year :eek: Oh sorry to hear this didn't realise about you and Alex but glad you are still friends :) I mean I for one don't mind paying for a ad free NMP, but would other members? So sort of 2 ways of accessing NMP one you pay a membership for 12 months say £5 each and the other no fee but you get the ads? Not sure if it's possible to set this up and would help get some extra funds to keep NMP going. Again Thank Alex for his continued support for NMP Please. And yes you can control what ads you want or don't want simply by clicking on the X followed by Stop Seeing this Ad then you choose the option that best suits you! :) Thank you Cheers

nomorepanic
27-02-17, 15:04
Bigboy - we have a dedicated Linux server that runs NMP and we have full control over it but we effectively "rent" it from Rapid Switch for a monthly fee.

I am not sure you can control the ads in that way so some get them and some don't.

Once we work out which ads are doing well then we may remove some/change them around etc.

Bigboyuk
27-02-17, 15:23
Bigboy - we have a dedicated Linux server that runs NMP and we have full control over it but we effectively "rent" it from Rapid Switch for a monthly fee.

I am not sure you can control the ads in that way so some get them and some don't.

Once we work out which ads are doing well then we may remove some/change them around etc. Yes got that so in a way its like a host server even though you have full control over it! Yes of course if I want to stop seeing a certain ad then it wont prevent others from seeing it! But every one can control what ads they want to see and not to see simply by following my simple steps :)_If the monthly fee keeps going up would NMP look for another provider? Or eventually own your own server or do you get some support from Rapid Switch? Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-17, 16:08

Maybe if you start blocking the ads that appear, it will learn which ones you don't want to see. Not sure as I have not really played with it that much.

I'm not against the need for the ads, Nic, I'm just feeding back what I think could be potential problems. (And having a joke about some) I ignore them, some I like the look of anyway.

Yes, thank god Lord Voldemort has been blocked :yesyes:

Clicking on them and filling in things is a pain on my small phone. But I've found a way around it for now. I can disable Javascript in Android which removes all the ads. My device is running much quicker for it and the key press delays and incorrect selections are gone. It just means it causes problems on tons of sites I might go on but changing the setting is about 4 clicks & 10 seconds away so it's fine. I tend to be posting in blocks of time anyway, so I can easily change the settings each time.

In full Chrome you can disable Javascript for a single site. It's not going to be an issue on a full screen though. It's a pity Android only give an exception list to allow it on, full Chrome allows it the other way.

There is supposed to be a function in ad blocker software. That might benefit anyone getting any triggering ones?

Nope, I go nowhere near Facebook, Twitter, etc. I got turned off all that watching work colleagues liking what pasty someone was eating and endless posting. My anxiety struggles with overload like that, I'd be a basket case trying to keep up with it all! :biggrin:

Bigboyuk
27-02-17, 16:41
I'm not against the need for the ads, Nic, I'm just feeding back what I think could be potential problems. (And having a joke about some) I ignore them, some I like the look of anyway.

Yes, thank god Lord Voldemort has been blocked :yesyes:

Clicking on them and filling in things is a pain on my small phone. But I've found a way around it for now. I can disable Javascript in Android which removes all the ads. My device is running much quicker for it and the key press delays and incorrect selections are gone. It just means it causes problems on tons of sites I might go on but changing the setting is about 4 clicks & 10 seconds away so it's fine. I tend to be posting in blocks of time anyway, so I can easily change the settings each time.

In full Chrome you can disable Javascript for a single site. It's not going to be an issue on a full screen though. It's a pity Android only give an exception list to allow it on, full Chrome allows it the other way.

There is supposed to be a function in ad blocker software. That might benefit anyone getting any triggering ones?

Nope, I go nowhere near Facebook, Twitter, etc. I got turned off all that watching work colleagues liking what pasty someone was eating and endless posting. My anxiety struggles with overload like that, I'd be a basket case trying to keep up with it all! :biggrin: Ahh didn't know that! So effectively turning off JS actually disables the ads? Wont it mess up other things in a site that uses JS code in other parts of the site? I will have to look at Full Chrome for my Pc! Actually a simpler way is just to close the ad down if you don't like, that's what I am doing and so far it's working :) Oh same here what a load of drivel do they seriously have NO life?? Plus there's many reasons I don't FB or Tweet got better things to do with my life thank you :) Cheers

Carnation
27-02-17, 16:49
This is probably a note for Alex if he is tweaking.
I just had a strange AD, which wasn't really an AD at all. :shrug:
It filled the whole page when clicking on a thread. It was BettyBoops Hug thread.

There were 2 small boxes, one in blue which read 'Regarder en', the other was a green box saying; 'Telecharger. Hope this helps you.

Nicola, I only wished more would support you with funds and asking out right is just not your style. You do what you have to do to keep this Site going. x

nomorepanic
27-02-17, 17:07
Ok thanks Terry - fair enough.

Well we have the NMP facebook group as well so we need to keep an eye on things on there as well but it pretty much runs itself.

Carnation - not sure Alex will know what caused that but I will ask him for you.

Bigboyuk
27-02-17, 17:29
It filled the whole page when clicking on a thread. It was BettyBoops Hug thread.

There were 2 small boxes, one in blue which read 'Regarder en', the other was a green box saying; 'Telecharger. Hope this helps you.

Nicola, I only wished more would support you with funds and asking out right is just not your style. You do what you have to do to keep this Site going. x I had the same thing don't think it was ad as such, plus it appeared when quoting a post, so you are not alone on this Carnation :) Cheers

Carnation
27-02-17, 17:34
I clicked on the thread again and it is gone now. :shrug:

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

It's probably the French trying to get through before the finalisation of Brexit!

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-17, 18:29
I clicked on the thread again and it is gone now. :shrug:

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

It's probably the French trying to get through before the finalisation of Brexit!

Merde! Non, monsieur.

It's happened to me a few times this afternoon. I was in PM, arcade.

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

Ahh didn't know that! So effectively turning off JS actually disables the ads? Wont it mess up other things in a site that uses JS code in other parts of the site? I will have to look at Full Chrome for my Pc! Actually a simpler way is just to close the ad down if you don't like, that's what I am doing and so far it's working :) Oh same here what a load of drivel do they seriously have NO life?? Plus there's many reasons I don't FB or Tweet got better things to do with my life thank you :) Cheers

Yep, it reverts it back to NMP pre ads. I don't know what runs on that on here but the threads & posting was fine. It won't affect the games since they are Flash. It might affect the shopping carts & things on the main site. One for Nic & Alex to answer if anyone needs to know.

It only takes seconds to do. It helps me on a small smartphone because my clicks are opening up the wrong threads (ones higher up off screen) and ads when I've clicked reply or quote, etc. I'm used to that off Digital Spy but it adds a few seconds to opening any new screen so it's just annoying. You probably won't notice that on larger devices.

It will likely cause problems on many other sites though. It's not just things like the carts, many will be optimised using it. But with me coming on here in block the, I just re enable it when I'm surfing elsewhere. Looked it all up earlier and it's easy to do.

You only need do It once on full Chrome. You can type individual website addresses in the disable feature. Dead simple.

Alex
28-02-17, 09:06

Nicola, I only wished more would support you with funds and asking out right is just not your style. You do what you have to do to keep this Site going. x

I suspect there was something that didn't load correctly causing the page to get all messed up. This can happen from time to time and is nothing really to worry about.

Let me know if it happens again

Thanks

Alex

Carnation
28-02-17, 10:12
Thanks Alex.
I forgot to mention it was on my laptop with a broadband connection.
It hasn't happened since.

beatroon
14-03-17, 10:30
Lol, I just had one advertising Thai brides. I mean, I know I post about Relationship OCD, but surely it can't think mail-order is the answer??!

I'm not having a dig, I fully support whatever needs to be done to keep this site running, just think it's hilarious. Thanks again to the admins for all their hard work!

Bigboyuk
14-03-17, 14:56
Oh one better than that! Has one seen Fed Up With Fake Dating? Seen it twice today Iam fed up with dating full stop LOL So will close the ad down next time I see it Ha ha :) Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Oh for you Brexit lovers out there Europe Is Doomed Ha ha so funny that one just seen it LOL

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-17, 15:14
Oh one better than that! Has one seen Fed Up With Fake Dating? Seen it twice today Iam fed up with dating full stop LOL So will close the ad down next time I see it Ha ha :) Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Oh for you Brexit lovers out there Europe Is Doomed Ha ha so funny that one just seen it LOL

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAVpjY5Ymm3uNWWdAchCDd6uNi-nyFcGgdVjgMUpnKDDC1dzTi
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHfJRBbj_hOYzW5YPM4dFuJI-iWeEatTItNrnOeSzn2yPjBqsgrw

Bigboyuk
14-03-17, 15:49
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAVpjY5Ymm3uNWWdAchCDd6uNi-nyFcGgdVjgMUpnKDDC1dzTi
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHfJRBbj_hOYzW5YPM4dFuJI-iWeEatTItNrnOeSzn2yPjBqsgrw

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Aye :yesyes: That's made my day :) Cheers

Bigboyuk
21-03-17, 18:21
Has any one seen the ad for coach travel around 90 uk destinations? low fares etc thought I would have look 2 things don't seem right with it, you cant choose a date other than July 2017 it might even be June. The other thing I noticed while you can choose from a drop down list your departure town/city you cant choose your destination from the second drop down list you have to go to Silverstone?? I know it's not NMP's problem but has any one else noticed these 2 problems or is it just me? Take a look for your selves Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
29-04-17, 10:49
Quick update from me:

My laptop has gone kapputski so I'm on an old one from about 8 years ago. It's dead slow with IE so added Firefox. It was still slow but when I installed AdBlocker off their extensions site it has speeded up, and obviously the ads are gone so the forum looks like before.

The real pain is with my Android phone (3.5 inch screen). Due to the page resizes it means I have wait until all the ads appear or I can click on one thread and end up in another. It also slows my phone down loads. But in Settings>Site Settings>JavaScript, you can disable JavaScript. Doing this reverted the forum back to how it was before, the click errors were gone and the speed returned back to before.

The only trouble with Android is that disables JavaScript on the device, rather than the site. This is a problem as most sites use it thesedays, especially for menus or options or shopping carts, etc. But there is an exceptions list you can buid up so that it doesn't disable JavaScipt on those.

I work around it by turning it off only when I'm on the forum.

Turning off JavaScript does mean the forum changes slightly. The buttons, like when posting an image, will no longer pop up. Also, tabs won't be tabbed anymore so the page may be a bit deeper to fit them on. It's quite easy this way, it's only ever a problem if you need to use the text formatting or inserting options as you have to add the [] bits yourself but I just turn it back on for those jobs.

Remember, you have to refesh your browser in between making these changes or the current page won't update. The next page you go on will. If you click back onto a board, the ads will still be gone though as it refreshes that bit on a back click.

Bigboyuk
02-05-17, 13:20
I have noticed the ads are now some what smaller which is great and not in ya face and scrolling is easier now, it doesn't drag any more :) Cheers

WiredIncorrectly
05-06-17, 09:33
The problem with these types of advertisements is they are not controlled, or monitored, by No More Panic. They are served by "AdChoices". A large percentage of the adverts are targeted spam selling junk products that do not work. Nobody vets these products at AdChoices.

I don't mind them personally. I use "AdChoices" on my own websites. People should remain cautious when clicking them though.

Bigboyuk
05-06-17, 10:52
You sort of get used to them after a while LOL and it generates much need money to help NMP keep going. One would think there is a regulatory body to check the authenticity on them though:) What I want to know is why do some of them have a blue x on them and some don't ( I do know what the x's are for though :) ) Cheers