PDA

View Full Version : Favour please

Leah88
02-02-17, 01:32
Can you guys press hard-ish on your fontanelle...( part of skull directly on top of head) and see if it's tender ... I know it's a weird question just seeking reassurance while I'm stuck on my telemerase disease obsession.

Fishmanpa
02-02-17, 01:54
Leah... I can honestly say this is the most unique Dr. Google diagnosis I've ever seen :huh:

Positive thoughts

Catherine S
02-02-17, 01:58
Adults don't have a fontanelle, it's the name given to the membrane that connects a baby's skull, and this disappears when the skull closes usually around 18 months old. So are you saying the top of you skull feels tender when you press on it? Then why not stop pressing on it :shrug:

ISB ☺

xBettyBoopx
02-02-17, 02:03
Mine is always tender and it feels like a big lump but as I don't have a worry about that I'm not panicking coz I think it's always been that way.:wacko:

Leah88
02-02-17, 07:14
Adults don't have a fontanelle, it's the name given to the membrane that connects a baby's skull, and this disappears when the skull closes usually around 18 months old. So are you saying the top of you skull feels tender when you press on it? Then why not stop pressing on it :shrug:

ISB ☺

I meant the place where the fontanelle was supposed to close as a child

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Leah... I can honestly say this is the most unique Dr. Google diagnosis I've ever seen :huh:

Positive thoughts

I know, but I am weird and dig into the weirdest realms of research. Abnormal fontanelle closure is apparently a common sign of telemerase malfunction which is a fear that came back yesterday. I know I shouldn't seek reassurance and project my weirdness onto others but I find this forum really helpful as no one gets frustrated at me like my husband and family do.

MyNameIsTerry
02-02-17, 07:27
Yes, mine is. I've pressed on it before across the years and found it tender. Nothing ever happened and it's normal to me.

Don't you work in a hospital, Leah? Are you picking up on things to worry about from there because you hear about them and rather than just be interested your subconscious is triggering a "aha, that may be a new risk to worry about, let's ask conscious mind what she thinks"?

Leah88
02-02-17, 09:36
Yes, mine is. I've pressed on it before across the years and found it tender. Nothing ever happened and it's normal to me.

Don't you work in a hospital, Leah? Are you picking up on things to worry about from there because you hear about them and rather than just be interested your subconscious is triggering a "aha, that may be a new risk to worry about, let's ask conscious mind what she thinks"?

Yes, this is true. Most days I think what the hell am I doing working here with health anxiety. My sister pointed out to me that yes there are several triggers in a hospital but there will also be triggers elsewhere so it's best to keep trying to change my thought patterns instead. This is taking a really long time though. Reassurance is like a drug and it's the only thing that seems to help me get better.

Carnation
02-02-17, 10:00
Mine's tender too Leah and it also freaks me out.
Obviously the more we press, the more tender it becomes and then it sets off the anxiety. Vicious circle.
Hey, I used to bash my head against my cot when I was a baby, and I've been fine up to now. It might explain my craziness though. :D

owenjames
02-02-17, 10:16
I would rather not press mine hard as I am guessing that even though it is not tender now hard pressure on it might make it tender ;)

Gary A
02-02-17, 10:16
Yes, this is true. Most days I think what the hell am I doing working here with health anxiety. My sister pointed out to me that yes there are several triggers in a hospital but there will also be triggers elsewhere so it's best to keep trying to change my thought patterns instead. This is taking a really long time though. Reassurance is like a drug and it's the only thing that seems to help me get better.

Googling weird and wonderful diseases and conditions and calling it "research", insisting that reassurance "helps you get better" when the fact you constantly seek reassurance tells you that, actually, it's having the opposite effect. :lac:

Your anxiety is looking for something to feed off, and you're giving in to it. Googling illnesses is not "research", it's just you throwing petrol on an already raging fire. You then seek reassurance, feel momentarily relieved, then go right back to Google and the cycle repeats.

Stop Googling. Like, seriously, stop. This is not healthy, and you can help it. You have to try and break this cycle, you can't keep feeding it and justifying it by calling it research. Give your mind a rest from being engrossed in a world of death and disease and maybe, just maybe, you can start to enjoy life again.

Kanji
02-02-17, 10:28
Your anxiety is looking for something to feed off, and you're giving in to it. Googling illnesses is not "research", it's just you throwing petrol on an already raging fire. You then seek reassurance, feel momentarily relieved, then go right back to Google and the cycle repeats.

I agree. The best course of action to take when it comes to health anxiety is to get to the root of the issue. Reassurance is okay every once in a while when you're really going through it, but ultimately, you need to treat what's causing you to continue to constantly seek reassurance. I suggest either therapy (CBT, etc) or medication. Ideally both, but understandably people have their personal qualms about medication. You can fight and overcome this! Just take that first step in the the right direction.

Have a good one :byebye:

Ethansmom
02-02-17, 14:56
Leah, your anxiety is similar to mine. I am always asking others if they feel the same way I do-- asking them if they get heart palpitations, shortness of breath, etc.. it's a vicious cycle and it's no way to live. I have finally decided to try medication and therapy in the hopes of trying to calm down my brain. Are you taking any medication yet? Maybe that will help try to calm the mind? It's worth a shot. I feel your pain and can totally relate. I hope we can get better.

Leah88
02-02-17, 21:18
Googling weird and wonderful diseases and conditions and calling it "research", insisting that reassurance "helps you get better" when the fact you constantly seek reassurance tells you that, actually, it's having the opposite effect. :lac:

Stop Googling. Like, seriously, stop. This is not healthy, and you can help it. You have to try and break this cycle, you can't keep feeding it and justifying it by calling it research. Give your mind a rest from being engrossed in a world of death and disease and maybe, just maybe, you can start to enjoy life again.

I haven't actually googled in Ages. If you re- read my post you'll see my latest trigger is from my place of work. The fact that I knew about the symptoms of the disease was from googling it a year ago. Plus everyone else seeks reassurance on here that's why it's an anxiety forum.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Leah, your anxiety is similar to mine. I am always asking others if they feel the same way I do-- asking them if they get heart palpitations, shortness of breath, etc.. it's a vicious cycle and it's no way to live. I have finally decided to try medication and therapy in the hopes of trying to calm down my brain. Are you taking any medication yet? Maybe that will help try to calm the mind? It's worth a shot. I feel your pain and can totally relate. I hope we can get better.

Thanks, yes I'm on lexapro and I also see a phychiatrist and psychologist. I get better for short periods and can deal with the thoughts but then I still have a hard time dealing with really strong triggers. I guess it's the age old Anxiety battle .[COLOR="blue"]

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Thanks, yes I'm

Catherine S
02-02-17, 21:45
Abnormal fontenelle closure would have been noticed when you were a baby Leah, your mum would've known. It can happen with babies who have pressure on the brain for example. Did this happen to you?Are you saying yours didn't close properly? Otherwise it's just referred to as the top of your head/skull.

There are nerves there though that can give out pain when pressed. And now I've given myself a flippin headache testing it out!

ISB ☺

Leah88
03-02-17, 00:30
Abnormal fontenelle closure would have been noticed when you were a baby Leah, your mum would've known. It can happen with babies who have pressure on the brain for example. Did this happen to you?Are you saying yours didn't close properly? Otherwise it's just referred to as the top of your head/skull.

There are nerves there though that can give out pain when pressed. And now I've given myself a flippin headache testing it out!

ISB ☺

Lol sorry! This is a good point thankyou

MyNameIsTerry
03-02-17, 05:47

I agree with your sister. HA is also pretty common in those working around health which you would expect given the stress you are put under.