PDA

View Full Version : SAD

cry
02-02-17, 13:12
Hi everyone,

I first started suffering from anxiety (including health anxiety) last January. I had one session of CBT but because the waiting list was so long by the time I was seen (was spring time) I felt better so found it pointless. I felt fine in general until around two weeks ago where I just had a wave of depression hit me. Since then I've been feeling down and had anxious thoughts again. So I'm definitely thinking this is seasonal, I went away for a month over Christmas and was in the sun and a week or so after I've come back I feel like this.

I was just wondering if anyone else notices they feel worse in the winter? Has anyone got any tips? I've contacted a local counselling service and I'll be going private to avoid the waiting time again, hopefully I'll be being seen next week.

Sphincterclench
02-02-17, 14:23
Mine is very much cyclical but more than seasonal I think its situational, and environmental.

Im no doctor, but for ME it seems to be the more time I spend in the house.

I work from home so I am tied to the house for at LEAST those times, toss in crap work hours in general, weather from Winter or Rain etc and my anxiety levels skyrocket.

When I can get out and go somewhere, if only the store or to drop a kid off at work, every little distraction and break from the house is critical for me. Several times a day I will log out of work and just pace out front of the house for a few minutes if the weather permits.

Maybe that can help you as well?

KeeKee
02-02-17, 14:29
I'm like this but the opposite. Light night and sunny days make me feel utterly horrendous. The Spring and Summer are very testing times for me.

I know for winter SAD there's a light thing that is supposed to help (can't remember the name), I've also read that there's a theory that winter depression could also be due to vitamin D deficiency so a supplement may help.

PASchoolSyndrome
02-02-17, 14:48
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is totally a real thing and it does affect many people. I never realize I'm suffering from it until we get a particularly nice or sunny day and my mood instantly lifts. In the winter, particularly January through March (the "bleh" months I call them) all I want to do is lay in bed and watch TV. I'm grumpy and all around unhappy - with no real reason to be!

KeeKee is right! Vitamin D supplements (or eating more foods with more vitamin D) and artificial lighting can really help some people.

purpletoenails
02-02-17, 16:35
For me this is a proper thing.

I love the sun and light evenings and I really hate the cold, rain and bad weather. My mood reflects this and in the winter I find myself just energyless and spending a lot of time sitting indoors with no motivation to do anything. In the summer I'm the opposite, I always want to be out doing stuff and I am definitely a lot happier.

SLA
02-02-17, 16:51
Mine is very much cyclical but more than seasonal I think its situational, and environmental.

I think this is more likely true.

We have more control over things than we realise.

If you label January a "bleh" month in your mind, then it will most likely be a "bleh" month. January is my favourite month!

In the past, I would have called myself a SAD sufferer.

Then I realised it was mostly ********, and it went away.

How about that?

Sphincterclench
02-02-17, 17:40
Guess I never really gave much thought to the season. my worst ever period was spring 2 years ago, but I love the spring time and the weather and getting out, cleaning the pool, cutting the grass etc.

Im not saying its not real but I guess that means SAD isnt a thing for me.

Petesy
02-02-17, 21:22
Hi everyone,

I first started suffering from anxiety (including health anxiety) last January. I had one session of CBT but because the waiting list was so long by the time I was seen (was spring time) I felt better so found it pointless. I felt fine in general until around two weeks ago where I just had a wave of depression hit me. Since then I've been feeling down and had anxious thoughts again. So I'm definitely thinking this is seasonal, I went away for a month over Christmas and was in the sun and a week or so after I've come back I feel like this.

I was just wondering if anyone else notices they feel worse in the winter? Has anyone got any tips? I've contacted a local counselling service and I'll be going private to avoid the waiting time again, hopefully I'll be being seen next week.

Hi cry

I can definitely relate I've been going through a depression and anxiety is out of control atm, and i noticed it hitting me on this season with the long nights and rotten weather.. Nevertheless I've been wrapped up and out cycling miles battling this i find it cleansing the mind plus exercise aswell win win so too speak...

You're definitely not alone I've been prescribed citalopram 20mg and i ain't touched them i have a way about me now that if something is depressing me and putting the hurt on me i just pinpoint it and either eradicate it from my life or battle it with exercise even if i have to force myself.

:bighug1:

Take care Cry and you're not alone on this ;-)

Petesy.

SLA
02-02-17, 21:52
I can definitely relate I've been going through a depression and anxiety is out of control atm, and i noticed it hitting me on this season with the long nights and rotten weather.. Nevertheless I've been wrapped up and out cycling miles battling this i find it cleansing the mind plus exercise aswell win win so too speak...

Best thing I have read on here in months.

Amazing, and true.

So much to be learned from this.

cry
03-02-17, 07:16
Thanks everyone for your comments, it helps I'm not alone.

I think exercise definitely helps it's just hard to get back into it when you're feeling low but I'm going to try.