PDA

View Full Version : Smear test anxiety

Button1
02-02-17, 22:28
Hi everyone- my HA is almost exclusively about nowel cancwr byt since having my kids I've been SO much better (having previously been on two sets on anti depressants and through two rounds of CBT). I still get anxious and there have been flare ups but in general I'm managing by keeping busy and forcing myself to focus on other things.

I don't like tests, I'm not someone who seeks reassurance through them and I find things like smears very difficult. Today I finally went for a smear (a few months late) and felt extremely anxious. My last smear was fine so I thought I'd be ok but I was quite tearful. I managed to relax during the procedure though it was uncomfortable. It was all fine but the nurse said there was a little blood which almost brought me to my knees panic wise. I've had no irregular bleeding, no weird discharge or pain during sex and she said it does happen but it's thrown me as it didn't happen last time. It's ages until the results come through and I was hoping some other ladies could share their experience, I can't fall apart again.

Thanks xxx

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

I should say I've had no bleeding since, just the most minuscule spotting initiallyZ

Rhiannon.
02-02-17, 22:29
Hi! :3

I'm 27 and every single time I've had a smear blood has been on the smear stick. The first time it happened I bled afterwards like a light period.

Nurse told me that some of my womb lining was growing on the outside of the cervix. Not much, but enough to cause a little bleeding during the test.

She told me it was totally normal and very common. Both of my smears came back a-ok :)

Button1
02-02-17, 22:33
Thanks Rhiannon! The nurse didn't say much about it and I didn't want to start on her as people with HA must be a bit of a nightmare to manage if you're not expecting them!! I just wish she could have said something reassuring or at least explanatory

Rhiannon.
02-02-17, 22:37
I was very frightened when I saw the blood so I can imagine how it must have been for you without having the nurse reassure you.

Glad I could be a bit of help ^^

KeeKee
02-02-17, 22:43
I've had 2 smear tests as I'm now 28. The first was absolutely painless and no bleeding, so when I had my most recent one I wasn't anxious in the slightest. Yet it was absolutely agony and I bled a bit too. Was shocked as didn't bleed the first time but she said it was normal.

Button1
02-02-17, 22:53
Thanks KeeKee, this was more uncomfortable than I remember my first being so maybe that was it. I went and did a massive workout afterwards which maybe didn't help the discomfort 😐

Beckie4567
02-02-17, 23:24
I've had blood on all my sticks and had all normal smears

Button1
02-02-17, 23:46
Phew. Thanks everyone. Why is this not talked about? It's helped me so much.

GlassPinata
03-02-17, 01:05
I've had many smears in my life (I'm in my mid-40s) and I ALWAYS have a little spotting afterward. But they are always negative.
Spotting after a smear doesn't indicate anything about cancer. I think it simply depends upon how hard the doctor does the smear.
The one time I DIDN'T spot afterward, the test came back inconclusive- not enough cells to analyze. I had to have it redone. I spotted. It was negative.
Just be glad your doctor did a good job and got an adequate sample, so you won't have to get it redone and go through the waiting game all over again.
Best wishes!

Button1
16-02-17, 11:37
Just a quick question on how long it takes to get smear test results- I know these generally come by letter but I've had nothing yet and it's been over 2 weeks. Is that normal? My friend who is a private gp says it is and no news is good news. I'm just hoping it doesn't indicate a problem?

Clydesdale Epona
16-02-17, 12:32
Can you phone them to see if they're in? x

Button1
16-02-17, 13:15
I guess so, I'm just a bit scared to confront it! I'd kind of hoped if there was anything that they would have called or written by now?

KeeKee
16-02-17, 15:02
I've heard that if it was a bad result they'd send you a letter quicker as you'd need to be retested.
They're in no hurry to put our minds at ease as no doubt to them a normal result isn't a priority and they'll send when they can. I had my results quite quickly, but it could all depend on how many smears were done that day or week. I remember being worried sick in case I got my results too quickly haha, it's funny how our minds work

PASchoolSyndrome
16-02-17, 18:02
While practicing smears we're told "You will maker her bleed, its okay."

No news is good news!

Rhiannon.
16-02-17, 20:32
Yeah, as others have said, no news is good news. If there was even a whisper of a problem they'd have been in touch within days :)

An example, though not a smear, is a test I had for rheumatoid arthritis a couple of weeks ago. I'm used to having bloods done and not hearing for at least a week.
Instead doctor told me it was positive within 4 days.

If they suspect a problem you will know quickly :)