PDA

View Full Version : What to do with self-shaming thoughts

mismashful2
03-02-17, 12:48
So, I just can't get it. Am I depressed or is this OCD?
First I thought 'youre worth less than everybody else' and then that fases away, then it was 'you have nothing to live for' and then I thought okay, you have your boyfriend, you want to see the World with your boyfriend!
And now it's a new one: you're boyfriend is too good for you, you're too bad dor him, what's the whole point of living'

And these thoughts are followed by this extreme anxious feeling.. I just don't know what to do anymore

MyNameIsTerry
08-02-17, 04:32
If these thoughts just popped into your head, they are intrusive thoughts.

If you were consciously thinking about them, then it's worrying.

Neither are enough to consider them as depression although both can be found in depression. The question is more about the overall symptoms.

Do you fear getting depression? Some people do because they are thinking about the worst cases where people end their lives. But far more don't, so be wary of such skewed negative thinking.

Negative thinking patterns are explained in Cognitive Distortions. Several of the above statements would fit into examples of it if they were not intrusive thoughts. We all suffer with problems in this area and they are very useful to understand as they keep us trapped in our cycles therefore understanding them is the first step towards a strategy to combat them.

Even if they were intrusive thoughts, it's likely you are applying Cognitive Distortions to them and worrying further due to the skewed thinking.