PDA

View Full Version : Would advanced cancer show up on routine blood work?

GymMom30
03-02-17, 15:16
Happy Friday everyone! In the past month I have been on 2 different antibiotics for a uti. I'm still having symptoms and convinced I have ovarian cancer. I had a normal Pap smear 6 months ago and all my blood work was perfect. Is it possible I've grown advanced cancer in that time? I had my blood work done last week. I'm so nervous all I do is google symptoms and they come up the worst. I'm thinking that if I did have an advanced tumor something would be off with my blood work? Ugh I hate health anxiety.....it's the worst. Thank you for reading!

Sphincterclench
03-02-17, 17:16
have you voiced any of these concerns to your physician? I dont know if it would show in blood work but if you tell your Dr they can probably order some tests that would be more definitive.

Be well..

Beckie4567
03-02-17, 20:27
I was the same I had symptom's for week after a uti it takes weeks for my bladder to settle down

PASchoolSyndrome
03-02-17, 21:51
Happy Friday everyone! In the past month I have been on 2 different antibiotics for a uti. I'm still having symptoms and convinced I have ovarian cancer. I had a normal Pap smear 6 months ago and all my blood work was perfect. Is it possible I've grown advanced cancer in that time? I had my blood work done last week. I'm so nervous all I do is google symptoms and they come up the worst. I'm thinking that if I did have an advanced tumor something would be off with my blood work? Ugh I hate health anxiety.....it's the worst. Thank you for reading!

So just an anatomy lesson.

Your ovaries are not connected to your bladder. Nor any of the urinary tract. Not even close. Increase in urination or a recurrent UTI would have nothing to do with your ovaries. Absolutely nothing.

Second - a pap smear is to test for cervical cancer, not ovarian cancer. Which means yay! No cervical cancer! :yesyes:

Always press your concerns to your doctor. I can almost 100% guarantee she will say something similar - but being a doctor she'll be able to order any tests needed if she truly thought there was evidence behind your fears.

Stay strong and be well <3

swajj
04-02-17, 00:41
A routine blood test won't necessarily detect cancer. It may show certain markers and it may not.

TimeSoup
04-02-17, 08:31
Well to answer your question, it would depend on the kind of 'advanced cancer' you would refer to.
But yes, often times, in advanced metastasized malignancies your PCR (dunno the term in English) would be high with possibly the features of a high inflammatory response shown in blood work. Of course every liquid cancer (leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma) would show rocketting in the test (except for MALT lymphoma that can occur without showing up that much on blood tests).
That's as far as i can answer but i'm not a physician, and you should ask the question to your GP if you want a proper answer.

Doug90
04-02-17, 11:27
Im sure there would be indicators in the results which would lead to further testing and a diagnosis.