PDA

View Full Version : So today i scraped a car up my street and a terrible day idk what to do

Lockey1995
03-02-17, 20:15
So, The last few days have been pretty shitty come down with an annoying cold and now this :( feel like I've lost my confidence for doing something so god damn stupid and thought i was a good driver a goal in life is to become great at driving and I'm striving for advanced driving, track driving perfection.

However the day starts terrible as I only had probably 2 hours sleep last night the last 3 nights I've probably only managed a couple of hours as Im up all night with a blocked nose or coughing.

So i get in the car and break the god damn winder for the windows great start, de misted the windows went to the top of the street to turn left all fine, half way down the road i got completely blinded by the sun now common sense dictates you stop but with being so god damn tired and having hardly any sleep and feeling terrible i didn't, and next minute bang :(. scraped down the side and knocked the mirror a bit my car came out worse with the scrapes than his.

I know who's car it is i haven't spoke to him in a while it's his brothers and in all fairness it was parked near enough in the road and off the curb on a bend might i add my dad who came around later on back from my nans nearly had someone go head on into him because of how it was parked.

And I don't know what to do I haven't said anything as of yet, my dad, and pretty much my whole family is telling me to leave it but i do feel guilty if i do about there's 2 issues number

1: Insurance £750 excess before they'll even pay out money I do not have, and I'll lose all my no claims and the car will be ridiculously expensive to insure on renewal in November.

I don't know how much was on his as I couldn't see very well I didn't see as much but on mine there was way more it's scraped the entire length of the car on mine and my confidence has been knocked and I'm absolutely angry and livid at my self for managing it and making such a mistake when blinding the scene.

But I'm pretty sure scratches aren't cheap to fix :S, I'm pretty sure he'd get a payout but i just don't know.

It's been a shite month never mind a week.

Mojo61
03-02-17, 20:24
Personally I would 'fess up. You may well have been caught on cctv and would have some explaining to do if you get a knock on the door from plod whilst your damaged car is sitting outside (probably with paint from the other vehicle on it)

Morally you need to own up too. Imagine if the boot was on the other foot and someone hit your car and just drove off leaving you with an expensive repair bill....

Lockey1995
03-02-17, 20:24
There's no cctv but yeah i guess even though I really can't afford it I am really pissed with my self now I've f****! everything up

Mojo61
03-02-17, 20:29
You haven't, you can redeem yourself by admitting the accident asap. Everyone makes mistakes, and by taking responsibility for the mistake you are showing that you are a honest and decent human being :D

Lockey1995
03-02-17, 20:36
I am an honest person, but i literally have no money :( I won't even be able to afford my own excess to get it paid for and premium will more than likely rocket in november and I won't get insured as I doubt I'll afford it.

pulisa
03-02-17, 21:11
It's really expensive to insure and run a car. I would advise you to do the decent thing and 'fess up too. If you haven't got any money how could you afford to run your car anyway?

Lockey1995
03-02-17, 21:24
I borrowed money and still paying it back I don't have 750, my life is Shite right now so depressed, don't do anything in the day, stuck in a job I don't like yet I have no motivation to do look. And now this due to sheer stupidity when I couldn't see.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Running it doesn't cost that much.

BikerMatt
03-02-17, 21:40
Well your whole family are in the wrong for telling you to leave it. How would they feel if someone hit their car and didn't admit it? How would you feel if someone hit your car and didn't admit it? Admit it and offer to pay without it going through the insurance as car body repairs are pretty cheap these days.

Lockey1995
03-02-17, 22:25
my dads has been hit several times, i don't why but he doesn't really care. I guess i would I'm not sure on repair costs I doubt it's cheap even to do mine which came out worse pretty sure scratches going along from rear to front would be at least a grand.

I'll get a good night sleep tonight and more than likely ring them tommorow.

Bigboyuk
03-02-17, 22:57
Mate I know what you are going through you have to own up Doesn't matter what your family is saying The person who's car it is will be glad in some respects that you owned up and besides your car is scratched so they will put 2 and 2 together and it will add up right. And heck your excess is sky high I take it you are quite young or is it the type of car you are driving! For now sleep on it and try not to worry :) Cheers

Lockey1995
03-02-17, 23:17
only thing now is regret and the intrusive thoughts of i should have done, this, should've done that :(

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

I'm 21 and mazda mx5

MyNameIsTerry
03-02-17, 23:35
Well your whole family are in the wrong for telling you to leave it. How would they feel if someone hit their car and didn't admit it? How would you feel if someone hit your car and didn't admit it? Admit it and offer to pay without it going through the insurance as car body repairs are pretty cheap these days.

Absolutely, Lockey's dad might let things go but it's different to being the one causing it. Surely Lockey's dad would prefer a knock on the door and his wallet being saved? :shrug:

Lockey, it makes no difference his car was a bit far out. I see what you are saying but you know what a judge would tell you if you failed to stop for a pedestrian in the road.

You made a mistake, that's life. It's natural to feel bad about it, isn't worse if you didn't care about the other person?

Is there the possibility of violence from those brothers?

Don't bother with insurance if it's cheaper without. It's just happened to my dad and £250 covered his car whereas the person who caused it can choose to wait.

Lockey1995
03-02-17, 23:50
Na, not at all the one i used to talk to is at university Not talked to him since college.

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

Absolutely, Lockey's dad might let things go but it's different to being the one causing it. Surely Lockey's dad would prefer a knock on the door and his wallet being saved? :shrug:

Lockey, it makes no difference his car was a bit far out. I see what you are saying but you know what a judge would tell you if you failed to stop for a pedestrian in the road.

You made a mistake, that's life. It's natural to feel bad about it, isn't worse if you didn't care about the other person?

Is there the possibility of violence from those brothers?

Don't bother with insurance if it's cheaper without. It's just happened to my dad and £250 covered his car whereas the person who caused it can choose to wait.

Pretty sure to fix his or mine you're looking at 500-1k there's scratches on both all the way from the rear to the front not like long lines but bits all the way across. And i'm pretty sure you'd need respray although I'm not a body shop expert.

Katy_o
04-02-17, 00:08
I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what it will cost to fix. I scratched my car up pretty badly, even dented it (thankfully just on a metal gate). I shopped around for a quote to fix it, one place said £750 another said £800 and the last quote I got and went for was £450. It looks perfect, couldn't fault it. Like you, I didn't have the money and had to save up for quite a while before I could get it fixed. My suggestion would be that you don't go through your insurance company. Get a few quotes for the damage to the other car and pay to get it fixed. It might mean that you can't fix your own car for a while, but it's only fair that you do the right thing and fix the car that you hit.

Lockey1995
04-02-17, 00:26
Not bothered about mine as daft as it sounds aha, gonna get abused in track events anyway later this year, bodywork doesn't bother me katy

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-17, 05:57
So, if you aren't doing yours because you will do the sameon the track, it makes even more sense to check out getting it done away from insurance.

My dad also had most of the front damaged by a truck rolling into it and that was a few hundred. Both jobs needed some panel beating and genuine parts from a separate authorised dealer. You never know.

I'm glad there won't be any bother. When you mentioned the brothers it made me wonder if it was going to kick off.

The choice is yours on this issue. If you don't own up, you will still get past the current anxiety spike.

Phuzella
04-02-17, 06:32
Something smashed my wing mirror last week. I'm pretty sure it was a bin lorry. Came out of work and it was lying in the road. Luckily my brilliant garage managed to piece it back together apart from the glass and it only cost £66 to fix it. If I'd have been at fault, I would have had to own up or the guilt would have sent me into OCD hell :wacko: .
So if it was me, I'd go and tell them :)

pulisa
04-02-17, 08:51
I'd be in OCD hell too..

Lockey1995
04-02-17, 18:45
So 24 hours has gone by, looked at mine again to do i over exaggerated it scratches on front arch, could rub mine out near the door there's a few and a little back on the back, if that's a 20 year old paint surely his can't be as bad as mine anyway.

This is the first time in my life I haven't been honest and left it i do feel like a big of a terrible person at the moment and feel like something bad will probably happen to me for not being honest :(. But now it's been 24 hours i think the time for that has gone.

Bigboyuk
04-02-17, 19:52
So 24 hours has gone by, looked at mine again to do i over exaggerated it scratches on front arch, could rub mine out near the door there's a few and a little back on the back, if that's a 20 year old paint surely his can't be as bad as mine anyway.

This is the first time in my life I haven't been honest and left it i do feel like a big of a terrible person at the moment and feel like something bad will probably happen to me for not being honest :(. But now it's been 24 hours i think the time for that has gone. Hmm do you know if this other car has been out since the crash? 24 hrs isn't really long enough to fully escape but that's now down to your conscience and what you plan to do next? I wish you well :)

Lockey1995
04-02-17, 20:15
If I i could visibly see a car and hit it due to my own stupidity, hit a car in the car park lets hope this never happens again but i would leave a note with my address, name number etc.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Hmm do you know if this other car has been out since the crash? 24 hrs isn't really long enough to fully escape but that's now down to your conscience and what you plan to do next? I wish you well :)

yeah the car hasn't been there all day idk where it's gone

Bigboyuk
04-02-17, 20:18
If I i could visibly see a car and hit it due to my own stupidity, hit a car in the car park lets hope this never happens again but i would leave a note with my address, name number etc.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

yeah the car hasn't been there all day idk where it's gone Ahh ok and you aren't too bothered where the car has gone by the sounds of it? this has been a learning curve for you :) Cheers

Lockey1995
04-02-17, 20:38
i am i just don't know where it has gone i walked near there with my dog earlier on and it wasn't there, there was no one in the house all day.

Bigboyuk
04-02-17, 20:56
i am i just don't know where it has gone i walked near there with my dog earlier on and it wasn't there, there was no one in the house all day.Ouch that's the trouble with idk it could mean do or don't my apoligies so slightly OT what dog you got? Cheers

Lockey1995
04-02-17, 21:15
idk, means i don't know, idc is I don't care.

And a stafforshire bull terrier cross with jack Russel :)

Or should i say a staffie on stilts.

Bigboyuk
04-02-17, 21:25
idk, means i don't know, idc is I don't care.

And a stafforshire bull terrier cross with jack Russel :)

Or should i say a staffie on stilts. Ace so as small a JRT and a staffy head lol I have a full blown staff they are mint dogs but need a strong leader boy can they push the limits but I love the challenges she throws at me great with other dogs and walks off leash she is now 10 :) Cheers