PDA

View Full Version : Occupational Health Assessment

mingsy
17-04-07, 17:29
Hi
Don't know if I'm posting in the right spot? but could do with some advice.
Yesterday I had to attend for an assessment from and Occupational Health Doctor, which had been oganised by work, I've heard through the grapevine they are looking at a way to get rid of me ( I manage a dental surgery) I have been of sick with anxiety, panic attacks and depression for 7 months and I am alot better than I was but still suffer regulary from extreme anxiety. I am under the care of a psychiatrist, taking seroxat and having weekly therapy, cbt with a CPN. They have both advised me to take things slowly and not to push my self too hard.
Well I saw this doctor yesterday who just about told me to pull myself together and get back to work. He said the NHS psychiatry and cbt were doing me no good and "I was just ruminating", he said the dose of seroxat 20mg was only a maintenance level and would no be making any difference to my condition, and I should have had "dynamic CBT" (privately) which would of cured me and had me back to work in 3 - 6 weeks, and the cbt I'm having is a waste of time, and is making me worse probably.
Please help what do I do? I feel so down now, how do I get better, do I listen to him and go back to work before I think I'm ready, maybe he's right if I just get on with it maybe I'll be ok.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Coni
17-04-07, 19:45
Hi Jane,

I was so mad for you when i read this...i thought occ health were supposed to be about supporting you and making sure you return to work when you are truly ready.

Dont let them put doubts in your mind...if you go back too soon you may only end up off sick again. What entitlement to sick leave do you have?

You are already acting on the advice of your own doctor, psychiatrist and CPN all of whom I would assume have seen you on more than one occasion and so will be in a better position to make an assessment of your needs. I wonder just what qualifications and expertise this occ health doctor has to criticise other professionals practice in this way. I think it shows a complete lack of understanding (or intelligence) to have treated you in this way.

I can understand why you feel down, but try not to let it pull you down too far. Could you discuss this with your own doctor and get his opinion...after all he probably knows you fairly well.

Only you know when the time is right for your return...maybe you should imagine how you would feel about returning had this doctor not made these comments or judgements.

sorry if I've ranted...it just made me so mad...I've experienced a similar attitude myself from an occ health nurse at my first appointment (I self referred)....she told me to try lavender and deep breathing for my anxiety and depression....I was so low I could hardly string a sentence together without bawling my eyes out.

hugs to you :hugs:

luv Coni X

happyone
17-04-07, 19:53
x

clickaway
17-04-07, 21:34
Hi Jane,

Can understand how you may be feeling as I have encountered different various health professionals disagreeing over the best method too. And there's you, the one who is suffering, feeling rather non-plussed about it all.

Bear in mind that the occupational health doctor has been organised by the employer, and probably paid by them too, so he will be aiming to get you back to work asap. The CPN and your therapist have a different agenda where your personal interests are paramount.

In 2004 I was off work for several months and work paid for an occupational doctor that I saw. He eventually suggested a very graduated return to work, initially 2 hours a day with very simple tasks. However, I could not sustain this and eventually took advantage of early retirement.

I know giving up work is very difficult but you have to put your health first should that happen. Believe in the treatment you are receiving and be patient and you will get back to work one way or another!

Hugs

Dying_Swan
17-04-07, 21:46
I am shocked. Truly.

The purpose of Occupational Health Services, as Coni so rightly said, is to look at ways of making work acceptable for you and your health. It is NOT to look for ways to get rid of you. Occ Health should be supporting you in finding the most suitable way to get you back into work.

I was sick in January....nothing to do with anxiety, but I needed a month off. I'd only been in my job 4 weeks when it happened, and Occ Health were brilliant. They set me up with a 'phased return', gradually increasing my hours each week. That is what Occupational Health Services should be doing (amongst other things). They said to me that it is better to have me in work, albeit on reduced hours/duties, than not to have me in work at all.

I think you should look into this further. Take some advice from another Occ Health Service, which I would think your GP could put you in touch with. Definitely talk about it with your Doctor and therapist.

Hope you get this one sorted. Don't be giving in to it! Xxx

mingsy
18-04-07, 17:21
Thanks for your replies guys, I feel alot better with getting your support, I saw my CPN also today and her reaction was the same as yours, he is a just a jumped up little gnome who is being paid privately by my work so he is bound on be on their side, but still had no right to speak to me like he did and be so inconsiderate.
I asked for a copy of the report and will wait till that comes through, but if it is saying I have to return before I'm ready and my employers request a return, I might resign because I now realise that my health is much more important than anything else, and for the last few months I've managed without the money, as i only got statutory sick pay, another grievence with my employers (tightwads ). I am sure I could get another job which would be alot less stressful.
Thanks again for your support.

ksmith
18-04-07, 18:27
Hi jane

Have you thought about perhaps contesting the report (if necessary) under the Disability Discrimination Act?

Kay x