PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here with anxiety work in an emotionally challenging field?

Citydeer
03-02-17, 21:15
I was wondering if anyone could share any experience or advice about being someone with anxiety or depression who works in an emotionally challenging field, such as social work or nurses etc I'm sure there's a lot of other fields i can't think of right now...

I have always worked in low stress mundane paper pushing jobs but I just finished a course in a humanitarian field because I wanted to do something more meanginful - I'm a very emotionally driven person so I guess it's important to me to feel passionate and inspired by what I do. However the stress of study and the confronting nature of some of the stuff i studied was part of the reason I think I developed panic disorder in my final semester last year. I'm on the road to recovery now (I'm currently travelling which has brought its own triggers) but I have now gone a month without a panic attack. in another month after spending some relaxing time visiting my parents back in Australia I will be back in the Uk looking for a job...

However last night after I had been very anxious all afternoon for no reason, my partner said he thinks I should avoid any front line social work jobs (like say being a case worker to homeless people) when I get back to the UK - because this could make my anxiety worse. I feel conflicted, on one hand I can see that being a possibility but on the other hand I wonder if it could be a good channel for me to throw my ever complex emotions into? Like I will be so busy worrying about my clients I will have no capacity to be anxious about myself. I feel like that's highly possible because at the moment on my travels I think most of my anxiety is coming from having too much spare time and no purpose, nothing to occupy my emotions.

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

PunkyFish
04-02-17, 23:15
I was wondering if anyone could share any experience or advice about being someone with anxiety or depression who works in an emotionally challenging field, such as social work or nurses etc I'm sure there's a lot of other fields i can't think of right now...

I have always worked in low stress mundane paper pushing jobs but I just finished a course in a humanitarian field because I wanted to do something more meanginful - I'm a very emotionally driven person so I guess it's important to me to feel passionate and inspired by what I do. However the stress of study and the confronting nature of some of the stuff i studied was part of the reason I think I developed panic disorder in my final semester last year. I'm on the road to recovery now (I'm currently travelling which has brought its own triggers) but I have now gone a month without a panic attack. in another month after spending some relaxing time visiting my parents back in Australia I will be back in the Uk looking for a job...

However last night after I had been very anxious all afternoon for no reason, my partner said he thinks I should avoid any front line social work jobs (like say being a case worker to homeless people) when I get back to the UK - because this could make my anxiety worse. I feel conflicted, on one hand I can see that being a possibility but on the other hand I wonder if it could be a good channel for me to throw my ever complex emotions into? Like I will be so busy worrying about my clients I will have no capacity to be anxious about myself. I feel like that's highly possible because at the moment on my travels I think most of my anxiety is coming from having too much spare time and no purpose, nothing to occupy my emotions.

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

I'm like you. I want to do a job eventually that is meaningful but sometimes anxiety can get in the way. I've had a few decent job offers in the past which I've turned down because of my anxiety which led me to regretting my decision and resulted me spending three years in a job that I hated but I stayed in it because I was comfortable in it but this lead me to becoming unhappy and felt that my job had no purpose. Since leaving that job my attitude now has changed before I would shy away from opportunities that I have wanted because of my anxiety but I've realised that this has got me nowhere so I now throw myself into opportunities.

I think if you are currently in the right place and have a good support network then anything is possible. If you are concerned about how you feel about dealing with front line work then maybe look for say an administrative or a support role job in say social services or charities and organisations that support vulnerable people as it may not be so hands on which will allow you to build yourself up slowly and then once you have got a bit of experience then go for a job which has more responsibility say a caseworker if this if the area that you want to have a career in.

Another good way to see how you would deal with these sorts of issues is whilst you are job hunting then why not volunteer for say a charity or organisation that helps vulnerable people. Not only would this look great on your CV when applying for jobs but it will give you experience of working in this sort of area of work. I would also recommend talking to people who work in this area of work about their experiences and how they deal with any emotional issues within the job. In every job you will always have good days and bad days.

Only you know how you really feel and what you want to do so I would say take time and have a think about what you want to do.

Good luck

:)

swgrl09
05-02-17, 00:19
I was a social worker and I am now a licensed marriage and family therapist. I even recently got promoted to coordinate the department. I have had anxiety and depression for many years now.

Yes, it is sometimes hard to be in this field, but a good training program will teach you how to work on your own "stuff" and still be effective at what you do. I actually think it helps me be more authentic with clients. It helps to have been on the "other side of the office" too. I have been in therapy myself a lot and have learned a lot about myself. Having a good supervisor is also key.

So it is hard, but honestly I couldn't see myself doing anything else. There are a lot of people with mental health issues who go into the field. Self-care is crucial though.

Clydesdale Epona
05-02-17, 00:54
My current job is part time/temporary, which involves working with both Horses and children with disabilities/poor mental health. it can be rather emotionally challenging especially as you have two things that rely on you a lot.
many people with mental health issues go into some form of social care, my CBT therapist used to have GAD really badly, it's not uncommon especially as because you've been through it you understand them, it can be hard but ultimately it is very rewarding, i'd take the time and have a rational think, if you really want to do it don't let fear take over, but make sure it isn't too much for you, your self care matters x

Catherine S
05-02-17, 01:19
Before I moved to Germany I worked with the NHS children's mental health service (CAMHS which is now run by Virgin Care) with children of all ages and backgrounds. We dealt with abused children, those who self harmed, and those battling through anorexia.

I think my own anxiety took second place when dealing with those children, my mental energy was used up in their very real problems, and certainly helped to put mine into perspective. I have wonderful thank you cards from some of the older children in our care...15, 16 & 17yr olds when I left in 2013. I treasure them, and i'm happy to have helped to make a difference in their lives. Sometimes if my own anxiety rears up, I read those cards and remember how strong they were and how much courage they had.

ISB x

Citydeer
06-02-17, 05:48
Thanks everyone for your replies, the accounts of your personal experiences are very inspiring to me! I've noted the advice and tips about self care and support networks, I do agree that type of thing must be crucial - to take care of others we must first take care of ourselves. I love the idea that our own challenges with mental illness can help us to empathise with and relate to others... Its nice to see having anxiety in a kinda positive light for once! And it's lovely to think that some of the people that we may help in our line of work can in turn help inspire us with their strength.

Thanks again for your thoughtful and helpful replies :hugs: