PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol anxiety AGAIN!

mufc1982
04-02-17, 00:50
So we are going to the dog races tommorow night for my girlfriends grandads birthday and everyone will be drinking so no point saying ill stay sober or take it easy because once ive started thats it.im sat here now worried and anxious about how shitty sunday is going to be and the bed ridden anxiety will be back in full force.ive not fully recovered from sunday the last binge i know how awful my day is going to be and ill be back in that dark place again.my anxiety is high anyway so i will drink before we even go to settle me down and then everything gets forgotten about and thrown out the window.my girlfriend understands what im going through and says she can make an excuse to everyone why i cant go but then im anxious about what her family will think of me as they only get together 1nce every few years.before anyone chirps up with'just dont drink'thats never going to happen.why can i not even make an effort to try and control the drinking even by slightly limiting it!after a few pints the anxiety is forgotten along with any fears what the next day will bring.it sounds soft and if you havent gone through this it is absoloute hell.once i woke from a coma unable to walk or talk after a huge brain injury but this alcohol anxiety is much scarier and unrelenting sat there unable to stop my head racing and panicing about absoloutely nothing.i know what is coming and i am still stupid enough to do it what will it take to get through to my thick head!

Catherine S
04-02-17, 01:13
You were once in a coma because of excessive drinking, and you're posting here asking people not to bother telling you not to drink too much? So what is it you're actually asking us to do? Are you asking us to advise the best hangover treatment? Not sure what you're asking sorry.

ISB

mufc1982
04-02-17, 01:56
You were once in a coma because of excessive drinking, and you're posting here asking people not to bother telling you not to drink too much? So what is it you're actually asking us to do? Are you asking us to advise the best hangover treatment? Not sure what you're asking.

By the way, didn't a school teacher somewhere in your past, show you how to use full stops and commas when writing? Without these it's really difficult reading your post sorry.

Who said i was in a coma because of drinking?i was assaulted.i left school at an early age i didnt realize this was an english class.im in a bad place and it helps to get it off my chest im sorry if i have offended anyone thats the last thing i intended

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 ----------

[QUOTE=I still Believe;1643681]Aaah, have just seen the past threads. Wind up much? Late night/early hours always brings out the dregs, even in cyberspace!

?

---------- Post added at 01:50 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

Matylane,

I know you only post here to vent. I know that there's nothing anyone can say to change your life path and your choices. My question/concern is what positive purpose it serves for you to do so? :shrug:

You're clearly on a path to self destruction and it may serve as a negative catalyst to other members. Seeing someone so bent on a negative path can only serve to increase the anxiety of others.

IMO, perhaps reconsidering your participation on the forum based on your situation something to ponder and consider for yourself as well as others.

Positive thoughts
I never thought of it like that i didnt want that effect on others i dont fully understand the functioning of this forum im sorry.i have never spoken so openly before anyone who knew me would never know these where my words and would laugh at me and tell me to man up.i wont post on here anymore im sorry if my posts have made anyone anxious.i know one of the effects brain damage has had on me is made me selfish and this is just another prime example

---------- Post added at 01:56 ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 ----------

How do i close my account i cant seem to do it

mufc1982
04-02-17, 02:18
Right ive just admitted im in the wrong i didnt think of the ramifications of what i was writing.could you please explain to me how to delete my account?ive posted on here numerous times before and nobody has ever made me realise im being a ****.there is no advice on how to deal with an anxiety hangover but like i say it selfishly just helped me to get it off my chest i didnt think of how it would affect others

---------- Post added at 02:18 ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 ----------

I have obviously been posting in the wrong place i didnt realise this because nobody has ever explained

mufc1982
04-02-17, 02:53
I have been posting here for years i wish someone had told me sooner.i do have extreme anxiety that makes me near housebound but ive only posted here after a binge when im at my lowest.i have sent the admins a message asking for my account to be deleted

Dave1
04-02-17, 03:44
Nobody has to read your posts if they don't want to. Try getting some Vallium from the doc. Take it instead of booze before and during these social occasions.

mufc1982
04-02-17, 03:50
Nobody has to read your posts if they don't want to. Try getting some Vallium from the doc. Take it instead of booze before and during these social occasions.

Thanks dave ive never tried diazepam for my anxiety im currently on 20mg fluoxitine and 10 mg mertrazipine at night but theyre useless.ive tried countless meds over the years but so far nothing has worked for me

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-17, 04:01
Maty,

I greatly dislike this "for the good of the forum" garbage argument. It comes out from some with repetitive posters and I would suggest it is discarded as this place is full of triggers. If some don't want to read it, as Dave says...and Admin have said exactly the same on multiple occasions but some just won't listen which is ironic when the same people are saying that about the posters.

You've explained before that your anxiety is about social occasions, hence using this board, and that your anxiety came after being attacked leaving a pub which left you in a coma and with brain damage. It doesn't take much understanding of anxiety to work out why!

Don't allow the odd person who disapproves push you off the forum. It's based on ignorance anyway. Admin have always opposed these individual views and promoted the forum as available to all.

It is hard knowing what to say to you. If the forum is a reassurance seeking problem, there is an argument for tackling that, but you always post after the event. On this basis, I don't expect simply leaving with clear up the true problems.

Alcohol is self medicating for you but the real issues lie underneath. Alcoholism often accompanies mental health conditions, as does any substance abuse, so these forums are still relevant and we do have such people on here anyway.

Fishmanpa
04-02-17, 04:07

Based on the OP's behavior and habits, benzos should be avoided.

Positive thoughts

mufc1982
04-02-17, 04:25
I really do appreciate the reply terry thanks.i have only ever posted on here as you say after an event but this time im sat up at this time of night unable to sleep anxious about what is going to happen tommorow.i dont even know myself why i post on here because its the same thing over and over that i keep doing to myself.the only way i can avoid not having a drink tommorow is not going at all and the anxiety from not attending the birthday will last a lot longer than the few days of alcohol anxiety.it is definately a social thing i never just sit and drink at home.im getting worse after every binge ive done it for about ten years now i wish i could find an answer.even my gp says its really difficult he hasnt ever dealt with my type of anxiety after a brain injury so its just pot luck if i find a med that might help a bit

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-17, 04:42
It might be best be refers you to a psychiatrist given the brain injury. I don't know if that has an impact on your anxiety, if it does then it makes sense it's too complicated for a GP as your needs differ to the average anxiety sufferer.

It's a well known, and statistically proven, fact that people with social anxiety are prone to self medicate with alcohol. That's why I'm wondering whether your GP views your case as complicated?

He obviously knows about the alcohol issue so is keeping an eye due to the meds which is good.

I wonder if a treatment aimed at PTSD would help you? Like EMDR?

Dave1
04-02-17, 04:44
Based on the OP's behavior and habits, benzos should be avoided.
I think it's worth a try based on your pattern of binge drinking once every week or so and not drinking inbetween. In my experience the doc won't give many, then it's up to you how to manage them. I would suggest targeting one social event ever two weeks. You won't be given enough to use them any more frequently than that. But you mustn't drink and take the Vallium - it has to be Vallium only. Say 2mg an hour before the event plus up to 2*2mg during the event.

Fishmanpa
04-02-17, 04:57
I think it's worth a try based on your pattern of binge drinking once every week or so and not drinking inbetween. In my experience the doc won't give many, then it's up to you how to manage them. I would suggest targeting one social event ever two weeks. You won't be given enough to use them any more frequently than that. But you mustn't drink and take the Vallium - it has to be Vallium only. Say 2mg an hour before the event plus up to 2*2mg during the event.

Dave, with respect... The OP has demonstrated behaviors that illustrate a lack of self restraint. The drinking issue in conjunction with benzos could be hazardous to his well being.

I wish the best for the OP but IMO, gaining control of his drinking habit is the first step.

Positive thoughts

mufc1982
04-02-17, 05:08
It might be best be refers you to a psychiatrist given the brain injury. I don't know if that has an impact on your anxiety, if it does then it makes sense it's too complicated for a GP as your needs differ to the average anxiety sufferer.

It's a well known, and statistically proven, fact that people with social anxiety are prone to self medicate with alcohol. That's why I'm wondering whether your GP views your case as complicated?

He obviously knows about the alcohol issue so is keeping an eye due to the meds which is good.

I wonder if a treatment aimed at PTSD would help you? Like EMDR?
I saw a neuro phsycologist for a couple of years for counselling and ive seen a few different phsychiatriasts who have tried me on various medications that have never worked so i gave up on the idea for a few years i got sick ofdissapointment.about four months ago my girlfriend insisted i went to the doctors as i was getting worse so ive been on fluoxitine for about 4 months to see if that would work.ive given it long enough now i am going to cold turkey it next week.i never had anxiety before my brain injury i dont know if depression caused it or the anxiety created depression.he understands my alcohol use is a self medication thing but he's worried about my binge drinking affecting my liver i dont think he even believed me when i told him how much i drink in an average sitting.no one has ever discussed the ptsd thing with me

---------- Post added at 05:05 ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 ----------

Dave, with respect... The OP has demonstrated behaviors that illustrate a lack of self restraint. The drinking issue in conjunction with benzos could be hazardous to his well being.

I wish the best for the OP but IMO, gaining control of his drinking habit is the first step.

Positive thoughts
Hi thanks for the reply.if the valium worked in ridding me of anxiety i wouldnt need to drink alcohol

---------- Post added at 05:06 ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 ----------

Thanks dave ill discuss that with my gp because im going to come off the prozac this week so i will be going to see him

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 ----------

I would absoloutely love to be able to sit in the pub with all my mates and just drink pop

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-17, 05:15
But have you tried increasing SSRI's or just sat on the minimum therapeutic dose? Some people have to try higher doses to find success or any help at all.

I would always advise against the cold turkey option. Some people can do it but others can't. Gradual reduction doesn't have to take too long and if your GP tried a similiar med they can cross taper or switch depending on the med (Fluoxetine needs a 7 day wash out period in that instance).

I was wondering about EMDR because your anxiety seems closely related to the scenario where the attack took place. So, I've assumed your social anxiety doesn't kick in outside of that? If that's true, I wonder whether a trauma based treatment could help? There is also trauma related CBT that is more specific. Plus EMDR has been used in GAD too, it's broadening out to other forms of anxiety but it's early days yet.

mufc1982
04-02-17, 05:32
But have you tried increasing SSRI's or just sat on the minimum therapeutic dose? Some people have to try higher doses to find success or any help at all.

I would always advise against the cold turkey option. Some people can do it but others can't. Gradual reduction doesn't have to take too long and if your GP tried a similiar med they can cross taper or switch depending on the med (Fluoxetine needs a 7 day wash out period in that instance).

I was wondering about EMDR because your anxiety seems closely related to the scenario where the attack took place. So, I've assumed your social anxiety doesn't kick in outside of that? If that's true, I wonder whether a trauma based treatment could help? There is also trauma related CBT that is more specific. Plus EMDR has been used in GAD too, it's broadening out to other forms of anxiety but it's early days yet.
Yes ive allways increased the dosages over periods of months ive tried paroxitine,citalopram,sertraline,escotalipram and a few others i cant remember.i think its time to give up on the meds route to be honest.ive read prozac has a long half life so its easier than most ssri to cold turkey off(i dont really understand it)im not fit or healthy i think if i pushed myself into that i would benefit more than from meds its just hard to get into after years of eating junk and gaining weight.a big part of my social anxiety is my self image and that is worse than ever at the moment.its not really based around the pub or the incident im anxious wherever i go now i rarely leave the house.thanks so much for the replies i appreciate it im going to put my ipad down now and see if i can get some sleep.it will be time to get ready to go to the races when i wake up and the cycle can start all over again.....

Fishmanpa
04-02-17, 05:56
Yes ive allways increased the dosages over periods of months ive tried paroxitine,citalopram,sertraline,escotalipram and a few others i cant remember.i think its time to give up on the meds route to be honest.ive read prozac has a long half life so its easier than most ssri to cold turkey off(i dont really understand it)im not fit or healthy i think if i pushed myself into that i would benefit more than from meds its just hard to get into after years of eating junk and gaining weight.a big part of my social anxiety is my self image and that is worse than ever at the moment.its not really based around the pub or the incident im anxious wherever i go now i rarely leave the house.thanks so much for the replies i appreciate it im going to put my ipad down now and see if i can get some sleep.it will be time to get ready to go to the races when i wake up and the cycle can start all over again.....

But isn't drinking counteracting the positive effects of the SSRIs? All these drugs warn that alcohol causes a detrimental effect. All say to limit or abstain from alcohol consumption. Something to consider.

Positive thoughts

mufc1982
04-02-17, 10:20
Yes my gp has explained this to me before but the momentary help i get from alcohol outways the benefits of meds.i did abstain from alcohol completely for about a year after my injury and i remember it being horrible not having my crutch but my surgeon stressed i couldnt drink.i would rather a few days of anxiety bedbound for a few days just for that few hours of being socially active.i cant work so basically the only time i go out is the pub

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-17, 10:34
Maty,

I'm not sure on the counter effective side, at reasonable levels of alcohol they tend not to be but I wouldn't be confident about heavy drinking. Doctors are often fine with moderate drinking but I think it depends if the patient is in a good place, at least that's how I took my GP's decision over my request to drink on holiday.

I would say if you are ever offered the med I'm on, Duloxetine, make sure they fully understand your units because this med does carry a warning about heavy drinking & liver disease. I doubt they would consider it, but just in case...

What is certain though is that alcohol causes your Serotonin to spike, so you feel good. I suspect a part of that horrible few days many sufferers have comes from the reduction following the spike and the body using the nutrients it needs to build those Serotonin levels back up.

The down regulation effect of SSRI's would remain unaffected by that but it's about making enough Serotonin too otherwise the boosting effect it has by way of stimulating more Serotonin to be absorbed is not going to be happening to the same degree.

I suspect the heavier you hit the booze in a session, the more that gets amplified.

I was glad to hear your GP knew, sufferers have a habit of not being so open & honest. That's one step you got beyond and I think we should congratulate you on that! :yesyes:

Elen
04-02-17, 11:12
Don't allow the odd person who disapproves push you off the forum. It's based on ignorance anyway. Admin have always opposed these individual views and promoted the forum as available to all.

Please don't feel that you have to leave, also complaints about punctuation are totally out of order.

Bigboyuk
04-02-17, 12:41
So we are going to the dog races tommorow night for my girlfriends grandads birthday and everyone will be drinking so no point saying ill stay sober or take it easy because once ive started thats it.im sat here now worried and anxious about how shitty sunday is going to be and the bed ridden anxiety will be back in full force.ive not fully recovered from sunday the last binge i know how awful my day is going to be and ill be back in that dark place again.my anxiety is high anyway so i will drink before we even go to settle me down and then everything gets forgotten about and thrown out the window.my girlfriend understands what im going through and says she can make an excuse to everyone why i cant go but then im anxious about what her family will think of me as they only get together 1nce every few years.before anyone chirps up with'just dont drink'thats never going to happen.why can i not even make an effort to try and control the drinking even by slightly limiting it!after a few pints the anxiety is forgotten along with any fears what the next day will bring.it sounds soft and if you havent gone through this it is absoloute hell.once i woke from a coma unable to walk or talk after a huge brain injury but this alcohol anxiety is much scarier and unrelenting sat there unable to stop my head racing and panicing about absoloutely nothing.i know what is coming and i am still stupid enough to do it what will it take to get through to my thick head! Maty woah well you can try and control it it's not a competition to see who can drink more than the other :) Prehaps you are trying to shut some other deep rooted problem in your life? Only you know the answer to that. You can be strong and have a couple of beers and then go on to soft drinks the rest of the night and never mind peer pressure oh just have one more beer for the road you simply say No if they continue to pressure you then really are they good friends? You know you are going to end up feeling crappy the next day which you obviously don't like so don't put your self through it mate :)Pm me if you need to chat further about this :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-17, 12:52
Maty woah well you can try and control it it's not a competition to see who can drink more than the other :) Prehaps you are trying to shut some other deep rooted problem in your life? Only you know the answer to that. You can be strong and have a couple of beers and then go on to soft drinks the rest of the night and never mind peer pressure oh just have one more beer for the road you simply say No if they continue to pressure you then really are they good friends? You know you are going to end up feeling crappy the next day which you obviously don't like so don't put your self through it mate :)Pm me if you need to chat further about this :) Cheers

It can be a problem if you are in a heavy drinking crowd. My brother was, I was. We moved on as life did luckily. I took myself away from people into the drug scene as I'm not like some of the people I was getting closer too. Sometimes you have to pull the plug on buddies if you can't escape the cycle with them.

How would they be of you ordered non alcoholic, Maty? Are they power drinkers who would berate you for it badly or would they take mick but let it go a few sessions down the line and adjust to the "new you"?

Bigboyuk
04-02-17, 13:09
It can be a problem if you are in a heavy drinking crowd. My brother was, I was. We moved on as life did luckily. I took myself away from people into the drug scene as I'm not like some of the people I was getting closer too. Sometimes you have to pull the plug on buddies if you can't escape the cycle with them.

How would they be of you ordered non alcoholic, Maty? Are they power drinkers who would berate you for it badly or would they take mick but let it go a few sessions down the line and adjust to the "new you"? I am not saying it wont be hard for Maty he has to be a bit stronger for him self It can be done though :) Cheers

mufc1982
04-02-17, 13:24
Maty,

I'm not sure on the counter effective side, at reasonable levels of alcohol they tend not to be but I wouldn't be confident about heavy drinking. Doctors are often fine with moderate drinking but I think it depends if the patient is in a good place, at least that's how I took my GP's decision over my request to drink on holiday.

I would say if you are ever offered the med I'm on, Duloxetine, make sure they fully understand your units because this med does carry a warning about heavy drinking & liver disease. I doubt they would consider it, but just in case...

What is certain though is that alcohol causes your Serotonin to spike, so you feel good. I suspect a part of that horrible few days many sufferers have comes from the reduction following the spike and the body using the nutrients it needs to build those Serotonin levels back up.

The down regulation effect of SSRI's would remain unaffected by that but it's about making enough Serotonin too otherwise the boosting effect it has by way of stimulating more Serotonin to be absorbed is not going to be happening to the same degree.

I suspect the heavier you hit the booze in a session, the more that gets amplified.

I was glad to hear your GP knew, sufferers have a habit of not being so open & honest. That's one step you got beyond and I think we should congratulate you on that! :yesyes:
My gp knows im a heavy binge drinker he must take that into account when hes tried me on different meds.im going to have a blow out tonight then im going to do a few months sober and see if i can get into a healthier lifestyle foodwise /exercise.ive heard people say exercise does anxiety the world of good but another one of the problems brain damage has blessed me with is lack of motivation.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Please don't feel that you have to leave, also complaints about punctuation are totally out of order.
Thanks elen i was in the middle of a massive anxiety attack last night unable to sleep till around 6am and these comments amplified it

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

How would they be of you ordered non alcoholic, Maty? Are they power drinkers who would berate you for it badly or would they take mick but let it go a few sessions down the line and adjust to the "new you"?
They would be ok if i chose to do that its more me wanting to live up to my old self.if i could sit in the pub anxiety free with a pint of pop i would happily do it

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

I am not saying it wont be hard for Maty he has to be a bit stronger for him self It can be done though :) Cheers
Ill get there eventually(i hope lol)

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-17, 13:27
I am not saying it wont be hard for Maty he has to be a bit stronger for him self It can be done though :) Cheers

Absolutely. I hope he finds success, his family need him.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

I'm glad to hear your mates would be ok with it. Since they are, maybe they could even be your voice of conscience if you start to slip? Maybe they could take your mind of things by distracting you? For instance, Maty's a bit quiet let's get him on the pool table for a bit?

Bigboyuk
04-02-17, 14:00
My gp knows im a heavy binge drinker he must take that into account when hes tried me on different meds.im going to have a blow out tonight then im going to do a few months sober and see if i can get into a healthier lifestyle foodwise /exercise.ive heard people say exercise does anxiety the world of good but another one of the problems brain damage has blessed me with is lack of motivation.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Thanks elen i was in the middle of a massive anxiety attack last night unable to sleep till around 6am and these comments amplified it

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

They would be ok if i chose to do that its more me wanting to live up to my old self.if i could sit in the pub anxiety free with a pint of pop i would happily do it

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Ill get there eventually(i hope lol)You will I don't doubt it :) Cheers

Catherine S
04-02-17, 19:04
To those it may concern.

I have now edited my origional reply to the OP and removed the section about bad grammar, but have left the first part of my reply as it is. This was my honest reaction after reading this person's opening post, and the reaction of one or two others too at that time. It might do well for everybody criticising us to also read the OP's opening post, as it might give some indication of why we reacted in the way we did. I have also deleted further posts on this thread that may have offended other members.

I will do my very best not to be so 'honest' with my views in the future.
Thank you.
ISB

nomorepanic
04-02-17, 19:17
ISB - thanks for doing that as I was about to contact you about this thread.

Catherine S
04-02-17, 19:20
No problem Nicola.

ISB

mufc1982
05-02-17, 09:48
To those it may concern.

I have now edited my origional reply to the OP and removed the section about bad grammar, but have left the first part of my reply as it is. This was my honest reaction after reading this person's opening post, and the reaction of one or two others too at that time. It might do well for everybody criticising us to also read the OP's opening post, as it might give some indication of why we reacted in the way we did. I have also deleted further posts on this thread that may have offended other members.

I will do my very best not to be so 'honest' with my views in the future.
Thank you.
ISB
I was in a bad way at the time of posting.ive got brain damage and get confused with things so nice one for picking me up on my grammar and whatever else you threw at me it did wonders for my anxious state

Bigboyuk
05-02-17, 16:25
I was in a bad way at the time of posting.ive got brain damage and get confused with things so nice one for picking me up on my grammar and whatever else you threw at me it did wonders for my anxious stateI certainly don't think it was intentional mate and personally I wouldn't have brought it up, but we are all different I guess :) I can see you are going though hell right now Which I am sorry to hear!! Take Care. Cheers

mufc1982
05-02-17, 21:01
Im coming through the other side of it now big boy ill feel a lot better tommorow after a good nights sleep.thanks again