PDA

View Full Version : Chest butterflies which begins a panic attack?

Kb97
04-02-17, 13:47
Hey so I wrote a post a few weeks ago about how I was taken into hospital for a feeling I couldn't describe (which now i can) and 1 ecg showed artial fibrillation all other 4 came back clear. Since the hospital I've had these "chest butterflies" which i can now explain them as but it hasn't gone onto anything worse until today. I was spending a weekend with my friends at a hotel, I drank a few glasses of wine last night and when I got into bed I felt very flushed and hot. I got up, I wasn't able to eat and felt extremely hot. I knew that this meant something was going to happen today and there the chest butterflies start and my whole body goes into meltdown as my hearts beating rapidly. I wasn't able to explain it before today but I can sort of now explain it as an Adrenalin rush that I can't control. Sometimes it does feel like I'm going to die the heavy chest feeling is that overwhelming. It can last anywhere from 10 mins to an hour or sometimes more. I'm more sure than ever after today that it is a panic attack since I've worked out the triggers are smoking (i stopped after hospital admission), alcohol, any sickness, stress, nerves, tiredness and caffeine. I just want to know if anyone elses panic attacks start like this since it's something I couldn't explain before today. My doctors still looking into possible artial fibrillation but the only test that came back abnormal was my ambulance ecg so I don't think they will be taking it further with a monitor. I was diagnosed years ago with panic disorder, gad, depression and hypochondria. I was on anti depressants for a year which seemed to stop these but I couldn't think on them and I didn't feel myself. It just seems these 'attacks' are getting worse and worse. I also have a hand tremor which goes at 10000mph when this happens to! (Hand tremor isn't diagnosed as anything at the moment had it all my life pretty much). Just sad I had to come home after whatever this nasty thing is so was looking for reassurance in if anyone else experiences the same chest butterflies that progresses into an 'attack' sometimes.:hugs:

up a ladder
05-02-17, 09:52
Hi Kb. The point about the Adrenaline Rush you couldn't control is the main observation. All a panic attack really is is just that. The problem is with the way we process the feeling we have. For us butterflies mean either something is going to happen, so our bodies defend with fight or flight and with that comes a push of adrenaline, with that our bodies react to the adrenaline. The loss of appetite and getting hot are two of my main side effects so not uncommon I think.
The good news here is that a great number of us here have the same issue and there is a wealth of information on here that will help you.
Keep well.

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Hi KB.
You may not be on any meds for this, but this guide and a post called "A letter to myself" were two of the most helpful posts I found.
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46980

Kb97
05-02-17, 14:01
Thank you for the reply, it's just pretty scary being told that afib has come up on an ecg whilst I'm having one of these 'attacks' and it never showing up on any of my other ecgs. I'm sure it is a panic attack but as I said I haven't come across many that have such intense ones like mine