PDA

View Full Version : Hi New Member

little mutt
17-04-07, 19:06
Hi Everyone,:)
I am new to this website but hope you may be able to help me. I turned 40 this year but I still feel like a child. I have had anxiety/panic attacks for the past 9 years. In the beginning I was agoraphobic and couldn't even get out of my front door. After a lot of hard work, CBT and help from various people I can now get out and about, hold down 3 part time jobs and live a fairly normal life.The problem I have is that I can only do all these things if I know that my 'safety people' are close at hand. That is my parents and my husband. I can go out to town/supermarket etc if my husband is at home, if he is at work I can still do these things as long as my parents are at their house ( they live 5 minutes away) BUT if they all need to go out at the same time, that's when I panic. I really want to get over this final hurdle, but for me it's a big one !! Does anyone have any ideas on how I can cut the apron strings and get my independance back. I feel so guilty that my anxiety controls the lives of other people as well as me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

little mutt
17-04-07, 19:19
Thanks Lolly, I know what you say is true. Feel the fear and do it anyway. But it's just so scary isn't it ??? :)

honeybee3939
17-04-07, 20:03
Hiya

and welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:)

Its lovely to read about all the good progress you have made, its sounds like you have worked real hard to overcome you fears, WELL DONE!I Myself have been having the Safety People issue so i can understand what you mean. Im sure we will overcome this fear we will just have to try and face the fear like Lolly says.:ohmy: (easier said than done though)

Hugs
:hugs:
Andrea
xxx

nomorepanic
17-04-07, 20:12
Ree

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

You will meet some fab people and get some great advice here.

I am afraid that you have to just do it (JFDI) and face the fear like you say.

You may find it isn't all that bad and you can let go of this last hurdle.

little mutt
17-04-07, 20:30
Thank you Andrea and Nicola for your replies. It is nice to know that you are all here. I'm hoping that joining your brilliant website will give me the confidence I need to tackle this fear. It's such a great help knowing that there are people out there to encourage you to do the things you fear most when they themselves are struggling too. It's difficult for other people to understand how difficult each little step for us is.
Keep smiling :)

manmoor
18-04-07, 08:03
Hi Mutt,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Pink Princess
18-04-07, 15:47
hey welcome to the site and i hope you sort things out. this site will offer a lot of supprt and friends to help you xxxxxxx take kare xxxxxx

groovygranny
19-04-07, 23:31
Hello little mutt, big :welcome:to you!

All your hard work has certainly paid off, well done!

I've only managed to become independent since i first discovered i had anxiety/PA !! Weird eh? But you'll discover weird is pretty much the norm for GG!

Yep, you got to repeat the NMP Mantra over and over - JFDI - and over again!

You'll do it, and you've come to the right place for help and support!

Take care:flowers::D

Southern_Belle
22-04-07, 16:11
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. You have already overcome so much. Perhaps with the support from the site you will shed that final hurdle. I know you can do it. Good luck.

Laura :)

trac67
22-04-07, 16:34
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx