PDA

View Full Version : Lets make it hap'n cap'n!

OwenIsNotDoingSoHot
06-02-17, 02:14
So, this is a bit of a different post that others I've seen but I'd like to get it off my chest so if you could indulge my rambling man impression!

Late 2015-early 2016; I was happiest I've ever been. Everything was perfect. Great friends. Great job. University was under control and I felt an unmatched confidence, I went to bed looking forward to waking up the next morning. 2016 was the best time of my life.

2016, October; I had a pretty routine tonsil infection and was given antibiotics to clear it up without any hassle. One night I felt strange, like the upper-part of my eyes were clouded. Like someone had put a screen over my brain. Little did I know then that it was the start of the most unsettling symptom of Anxiety. I was not an anxious person. I had experienced a panic attack before but it was under a very different set of circumstances including a lot of stimulants and a death in the family. Since then I've had every anxiety symptom in the book, however until recently I thought it was a medical reason and I obsessed everyday with Dr Google. I quit my job, I couldn't function. I had to leave University, I couldn't function. I moved back home to my dead home, with a family I don't particularly connect with, I simply cannot function as a human being anymore.

However, that last line notwithstanding, I am, I believe, ready to give this getting better malarkey a good go at! I've devised a rudimentary treatment plan, with associated research to justify my methodology.

The abridged version is as follows...
1) Give up Dr Google, cold turkey.

2) Learn to accept that any psychological sensations are more than likely the result of my anxiety, and a sub-conscious awareness of similarities between illnesses I'm obsessing over and sensations, culminating in a non-conscious autonomous response by my body to get my "thinking" mind, my "perceptual" mind to take notice and heed its warning!

3) Practice breathing techniques to better prepare for times of active stress responses. However, to do so with a mindset of detachment, not to expect a panic attack but rather to have, for the lack of a better term, a more fitting screwdriver for that particular screw that has loosened.

4) Engage in emotional detachment from psychological sensations; the indifferent observer. To acknowledge and accept that it's part of me now, but not forever. To cultivate that positive outlook.

5) To not look for reassurance, or comfort when I'm experiencing a particularly difficult time but to instead focus upon known remedies, such as breathing techniques and non-emotive observation, as it is more likely that I am experiencing atypical symptoms to a typical ailment, than indicators of a different issue. To do so in an effort to maintain focus on my primary issue; an anxiety problem.

6) Get back to the gym, not only for the physical benefits but to give myself a structured environment to leave the house and to spend less time obsessing.

7) To reenter the world, engage my friends & family more. Look into finishing University, to give myself a goal to aspire to.

8) Try mindful meditation, and mindful Yoga in an effort to not look to the future with despair and worry, but instead focus on issues in the now and how I can better care for myself in the moment instead of listening to my voice of doubt.

9) Attempt to identify the underlying issues regarding my anxiety. My thoughts currently are that it's pretty clear I have medical anxiety, or anxiety pertaining to sickness. Does that stem from a fear of death, or dying young having not achieved what I want to, and experiencing anguish, upset and self-loathing over failures. Am I subconsciously worried regarding my parents health? As they are currently sick, and that I'm unable to communicate my worries to them. Am I fearful of being alone in the world, in my current enfeebled state? Questions to think on.

10) To learn to be comfortable with not being okay. To stop holding myself to such an unrelenting and unachievable level of perfection. To learn its okay to fail, its okay to stumble. To focus on accepting that I'm not infallible. To understand why I'm unable to fail in my own mind without it being some other entities fault. To understand my own ego, and shortcomings.

11) And finally... To accept that regardless of this plan, or any future plans I will be okay. To understand that I need to adopt a mindset that isn't resolute in one eventuality, or the other. To accept that it's okay if this is simply part of me now, and to find ways to function normally.

If anyone has anything they would like to add, feel free! If they want to comment on my youthful naivety and optimism, go right ahead. Or if only to drop in and say hi, hello to you too!

I applaud you for making it this far ^^

Sidenote:
It was my birthday on the 26th of January. I was so lost that Facebook reminded me of that fact. A cycle of anxiety, depression and self loathing that I had completely lost track of the date. That scared me.

GlassPinata
06-02-17, 02:37
Step one (giving up Dr Google) is a GREAT place to start.
We are with you.
You are not alone.
You're safe here, you're among people who understand.
Best wishes, - GP :hugs:

toothless
06-02-17, 17:44
Hi, I enjoyed reading your post. I think by accepting your symptoms as anxiety is a big step towards recovery, it took me a while to accept my symptoms were anxiety, I didnt realise how physically poorly it can make you feel. I also think we can become over sensitised to every bodily sensation, I know im a lot more aware.

Mindfulness is a great too to keep us in the now and to enjoy everyday things, its easy to miss these things by always being lost in our thoughts or striving for a future thats not here yet, I feel alot more connected to nature and aware of the birds, the wind in my face etc through mindfulness.
Still goals are good too, even small ones to give a sense of achievement.

Im a big believer in meditation and feel long term it will help to bring stress levels down, I do a tai chi video everyday too and meditate at least once a day. Humming and om meditation are good for stimulating the parasympathetic system.

Recovery is never straight forward, you will have ups and downs and try not to dispair in the down times, use your breathing exercises and have a little action plan to help you feel incontrol, dont be fooled by these physical sensations its just adrenaline and accept them calming and try not to be scared as this gives them power ( an initial pity party is ok :-) )

I wouldnt overly worry if you cant find a deep cause of your anxiety, I think life stresses both mental and physical can become too much for us and anxiety tells us we need to reset and change things ( just my opinion).

The gym is a great idea to get you out and for your health, try to do something you enjoy everyday, I love reading.

It must be hard to look back and miss the time when you were at your happiest, I think we can all remember a time in our life before anxiety, but you will grow so much as a person and you will find a new
Happy, life is constantly changing and it can be hard to keep up but you will be ok and you can share your knowledge with people and help them.

Good luck and keep us updated

OwenIsNotDoingSoHot
08-02-17, 02:23
Update 1 - 08/02/2017

Keeping this updated for my own sake in order to track my progress! :)

Anxiety for me is an interesting experience, and I try not to attach an emotional quantifier to that term. It's not a bad experience, it's not a good one. It simply is. Its helped me learn a lot about how I handle stress, some damaging and evidently long lasting habits I have regarding trauma and to appreciate happiness wherever and whenever I encounter it. However, I think I'm not alone in stating that it's something I could do without.

Happiness. It's something I've been thinking about a lot recently, and that's predominantly because I'm not happy and I recognize that.

Now I'm not the loquacious type when it comes to talking about my own feelings, I find it much easier to talk about others and then reflect in my own time, with privacy. Privacy is a big thing for me. But I've found myself trying to think my way out of my current predicament, to define causality to symptoms and rationalize their existence, outside of the scope of anxiety. It always returns to a conscious thought regarding the significance, or lack thereof, of what anxiety can do to the mind, and body. I don't respect it. I don't appreciate what it is, the strength of it or its hold over me. I know that this is a mistake. I underestimated it and I think that's why I'm in the place that I am now.

I see thought processes as layered sensory input. Everything that we are. Every facet of our being. Our minds and "spirit" are structured, and restructured by our perceptual bias at any given time. How we interpret life around us strengthens, and adds to our layered perception thus besetting our consciousness. That scares me, and I'm in a position now where I'm actively scared of my own mind. In, from what I've read from others, a different way than is usually depicted on these forums. I'm scared because a key point of "getting better" is to stop checking. Stop checking yourself for physiological symptoms, stop checking for mental symptoms, i.e. Am I still anxious? Am I still depressed? But with the knowledge that we have so much control over our minds, and state of being, our happiness, to the point we can force it by adopting positive mental practices, such as filtering input and modifying thought, it concerns me. The reason it concerns me is a paradox between not checking, and ensuring that you're only feeding yourself good vibes, which is inherently an act of checking and that doesn't sound like that big of a deal now I've typed it out but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth because I've just now finally realized that I can never truly go back to a state of ignorance. I can never go back to how I was before, I will always be different for having experienced this. It will have changed me, and considering the difference in terms of how comparatively weak and fragile I am compared to how I was, it saddens me.

A lot of my unhappiness now, as I'm coming to realize, stems from expectations. From a vision of the future, and who I want to be, and perhaps accepting that it may be unobtainable. I want to live free of unhappiness, I want to go to sleep excited for what a new day might bring, I want to love and laugh and be happy. That's it. I want to be happy. I have an idea of the path I need to follow to obtain that, but in my current state I am awash of uncertainty. I need some of that ignorance I shed!

I don't know, I've had a questionable day and I was in need of feeling sorry for myself!

beatroon
10-02-17, 18:39
Just popping in to wish you all the best with your onward progress. Stop checking is indeed the name of the game, and as hard as it is to do, you'll feel the benefit! I applaud your openness and courage in talking about how you're doing. Have a nice evening skipper!