PDA

View Full Version : Scared of HIV :(

Nirette
06-02-17, 03:27
So back in the end of the November/beginning of December, I was hooking up with a guy. We used condoms, everything was good, but he was into lip biting in an intense way, and one time he bit me hard enough that my lip started to bleed. He didn't seem to mind, so I bit him back, and immediately realised that this could lead to transmission of HIV. From my knowledge, he is not high risk for having HIV (he's straight, does not inject drugs), yet he has had a medium amount of sexual partners (six or seven). I do believe that we might have exchanged blood. I got an HIV test at the end of December, and it was negative. I am waiting for the three month mark now, but the wait is killing me. Do I need to panic? (Also, contacting him and asking him about it is out of the question, we ended badly :/) Thanks so much.

GlassPinata
06-02-17, 03:45
The best reassurance I can give you is the CDC stats:

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/estimates/riskbehaviors.html

As you can see, HIV is not easily sexually-transmitted.
Even if he WAS infected, and you had unprotected sex, your risk (per act) for ordinary, vaginal sex is only 8 in 10,000.
This risk is cumulative, so the more times you did it, the higher the risk.
But that is assuming he IS infected, which he probably isn't, in which case your risk is zero.

Most people who have HIV contracted the virus via needle-sharing.

You were negative at 30 days, which is a great indicator that you do not, in fact, have the virus.

As you can see, according to the CDC, the risk with "biting" is "negligible".... in other words, it is so low they cannot attach a specific number to it. There has never been a documented case of HIV being transmitted via "biting", yet they cannot say the risk is zero, because it is within the realm of possibility that it could be transmitted in this manner.

Many of us make youthful mistakes when it comes to sex, and many of us have had guilt about our mistakes and played the same waiting game you are now playing.
And yet, we lived to tell the tale.
Trust the CDC; they are the foremost authorities on disease in the country.
They say your risk is "negligible", ie, too low to quantify with a number.
Forget about this, and move on. be careful in the future.
All is well, and you will be okay.
Best wishes.

Nirette
06-02-17, 03:48
Thank-you. It's just really freaky because I definitely tasted blood, and I just started to remember all the (really badly taught) sex ed classes I attended on HIV and Aids. It's good to know that I'm low risk. I'll have to keep reminding myself that until my three month test.

Miznuvem0412
06-02-17, 04:17
Get a 4th generation duo hiv test those can be done at 28 days and after 6weeks are said to be as conclusive . Many that test negative after 6 weeks will normally test negative at 12weeks.

Do you know if the test u took at 30 days tested for both antibodies and antigens ?

I highly doubt u contracted hiv and I'm sure it was your own blood you were tasting ...

Nirette
06-02-17, 22:33
I'm not sure what test I was given, it was just an instant blood draw test at my local health clinic.