PDA

View Full Version : New to this

andya57
06-02-17, 10:12
Hello, new here, really going through a bad time at mo, have had anxiety on/off for years. Taking citalopram ( for 10 years ) mornings are terrible,as soon as I wake up it starts , shaking,stomach churning over and over, gagging , can't eat. It does get a little better during the day, but when it comes to going to bed ( although can't sleep ) I dread it as I know what I will be like in the morning.
Anybody else have these symptoms ?
Any help would be appreciated

Andy.

toothless
06-02-17, 11:00
Hi, I'm sorry to hear you going through a bad time. When my anxiety was high I too woke up feeling awful and very sick, couldn't eat, bad tummy and palpitations, I think this is quite common, I wonder if it's something to do with the cortisol morning awakening response where alot of cortisol is released after waking in the morning and people who are stressed have a larger response then throughout the day the levels come down so you start to feel better but on waking the cycle happens again.

Have you been under more stress lately?

Maybe try some relaxing techniques throughout the day, some exercise or meditation I like the guided ones on youtube these may help to bring your stress down but they are no quick fix but over the long term will help.

When I'm bad I take a beta blocker called proranolol in the morning as these lower adrenaline levels or maybe you could try a different antidepressant.

I remember I used to almost jump out of bed feeling terrible, I hated feeling sick and felt all tensed up and used to crunch up in a ball on the sofa wishing it to all end, but after a while I tried to accept these feelings calmly and tried to relax and untense my body and tell myself positive words, that it would pass, by evening I would feel better and I could cope with this and I tried to get on with my day. By accepting my symptoms instead of fearing them ( hard I know ) they seemed more bearable.

Eventually with medication and counselling my mornings are back to being good.

andya57
06-02-17, 11:18
Thanks for your reply, yes have been under a load of stress lately, but nothing I can't handle if that makes sense, but my mind doesn't see it that way, have tried relaxation but can't seem to consentrate on it.

toothless
06-02-17, 11:37
Sometimes I don't think we realise how stressed we are until we start to feel physically or mentally ill. You said you've had anxiety on and off before, what has helped you in the past? Can you do anything about the stress in your life, I understand that sometimes its not possible.

Would it be worth speaking to your GP and looking at your medication?or getting some thearpy? I think relaxing when your anxious is hard and it takes practise and when your anxiety is high it can take time to lower it again.

I took the medication route first, then when my symptoms calmed down I looked at lifestyle changes. I used to burn the candle at both ends working and looking after the kids, I left my job as I was picking up so many bugs from the kids at work, started eating better, gave up drinking, started tai chi and meditation and spent more time sitting down and making sure I got enough sleep. I've done this over 8 months so just start one step at a time.

andya57
06-02-17, 11:55
Thanks again, yes lifestyle change is defo needed,think with me when I'm well I forget what I have been through..so thanks I am defo going to look hard at myself. So thank you perhaps this is the push I needed...

toothless
06-02-17, 12:16
I wish you all the best, I once read somewhere (I think it was on here) that when we reach the point of crisis then it is time to rest things. I'm not sure if your into reading but the book Hope and help for your nerves by Claire Weekes really helped me during my recovery, she explains all about nervous illness.

I hope you feel better soon :)

andya57
06-02-17, 12:22
Thanks very much for your help, I have some serious thinking to do to help myself. :)

Panic sufferer
06-02-17, 13:45
I can also recommend Self Help for your Nerves by Claire Weekes. The writing looks a bit old fashioned as it was written in the early 60s, but she really understands nervious illness.

busterrufus
06-02-17, 19:09
Yes Andy I too have had all those morning symptoms. My natural reaction was to tense up and try to fight through. It just made things worse. Dr Weekes explains how to cope in her books by accepting, facing and floating through your fears. I have found it helpful although I am by no means better yet.
I still find myself questioning whether anxiety can cause such severe and prolonged blooming horrible symptoms , so I,ve obviously not "accepted" properly yet. Reading other peoples experiences on here can help you a lot and many people give good advice. Best wishes.