PDA

View Full Version : Hello; new here; hypochondriac

montys
07-02-17, 00:14
Hey, everyone.

A hypochondriac here. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now and decided to take the plunge and sign up. :)

My deal is that a bunch of family members have been dealing with serious health issues for the last year or so. Most have recovered thankfully but a few passed away. Ever since all of this started, I started getting full-on hypochondria, overthinking every symptom I would experience and turning to Dr. Google (and a few other real-life doctors) whenever the opportunity presented itself. I realized I had a problem when I got my first panic attack about three weeks ago.

Around that time, I had an eye appointment where I was told that I had a hole in my retina, putting me at a 5% lifetime risk of retinal detachment. The funny thing is that this hole has been around for years; given my newfound anxiety though, floaters, flashes, and other detachment symptoms are all I've been able to think about since.

I have my first counseling appointment this week and have started meditating. I'll be contributing to this forum in between!

venusbluejeans
07-02-17, 00:30
Hiya montys and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Clydesdale Epona
07-02-17, 00:57
Hello there and welcome to NMP, i'm really glad to hear you've got a counseling appointment and that you're meditating, those are great places to start :)
I hope you find the forums as helpful and comforting as i have x

All the best x