PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawing from citalopram

IrishLondon
08-02-17, 00:26
Hey everyone

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or a good plan for withdrawing from
Citalopram.

I'm currently on 10mg every other day. And tried to drop down to 5mg every other day a few weeks ago. But last week I started experiencing really strong adrenaline surges which had an awful affect on my sleep, I could sleep at all on Monday night because of it. I've been told this was probably withdrawal.

But is there any good tips for getting from the 10mg I'm at now to 0?

Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added 08-02-17 at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was 07-02-17 at 22:45 ----------

Anyone with any advice at all?

panic_down_under
08-02-17, 04:10
I'm currently on 10mg every other day. And tried to drop down to 5mg every other day a few weeks ago.

I'm not a fan of tapering by dosing on alternate days. This sets up a roller-coaster effect on blood plasma levels which can worsen any withdrawal symptoms, though admittedly this is less likely with citalopram because of its relatively long half-life. But still far better, imho, to taper off by cutting back the dose every 8 days.

And tried to drop down to 5mg every other day a few weeks ago. But last week I started experiencing really strong adrenaline surges which had an awful affect on my sleep, I could sleep at all on Monday night because of it. I've been told this was probably withdrawal.

It may be a withdrawal symptom, or an increase in anxiety. How long were you on the reduced 5mg dose before the adrenaline surges started?

Either way, taking beta-blockers for a week or two should help. Blocking adrenaline/epinephrine activity is what they do.