PDA

View Full Version : Need some reassurance...please help

adam4little
08-02-17, 17:32
Hi all, just in need of a little reassurance, if you've got the time. I'll make this short and sweet :)

Alright, so I had a cough for about two weeks. It was due to seasonal mold allergies in the area of the country I live (US). Anyway, five days ago this developed into a far nastier cough that came with a fever of 100.5. I went to the doctor that night where they told me my fever had reached 101.3 and checked my breathing, heard something in my lungs and gave me a chest x ray. Diagnosed me with bronchitis and gave me a Z-Pack (5 days antibiotics). Well, because I'm a hypochondriac, I avoided taking the antibiotics for two days, so after two more miserable days with fever ranging from 100-101, I started taking them. The first day I didn't feel much different, but by the second day (yesterday), after waking with a fever of 101, the fever disappeared for the entire day and I mostly felt like myself last night. I awoke this morning with a fever of 99-100, so a bit better, and after an hour my temperature dropped to normal range again (98.3-98.9 range).

So, here I am, on the verge of despair because it's five days with a fever. And while it seems I'm getting better, I'm not 100 percent yet. I don't think Ive ever had a respiratory infection this bad. Can anyone reassure me? Does this sound normal? Any one in a similar boat? I just feel alone and I'm frustrated and getting anxious.

As always, thank you.

adam4little
08-02-17, 19:42
Wow, that's scary.

Anyone else?

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

No one else?

Fishmanpa
08-02-17, 19:46
I don't know what more you need :shrug: You're getting better.

Positive thoughts

adam4little
08-02-17, 21:19
Thank you, Fishmanpa. I guess I just feel weird because people keep commenting on how I've been sick for "so long." Today I've been mostly fever free. It's day five.

Gary A
08-02-17, 21:58
Thank you, Fishmanpa. I guess I just feel weird because people keep commenting on how I've been sick for "so long." Today I've been mostly fever free. It's day five.

5 days isn't long, especially as you neglected to take your antibiotics for the first two days.

It's an infection, it's being treated. You'll be fine.

GlassPinata
08-02-17, 23:49
My 4-year old son often has fever for 5 days or longer (but usually no longer than 7 days) when he has a respiratory infection.
I know, because everything on the internet says, "If your child has fever for more than 5 days, it could be serious!! Seek medical help."
Which causes me to freak out.
But his fevers USUALLY last for 5 days, and he always recovers eventually.

There's another thread that just started where a guy was prescribed a z-pack for a sinus infection and is scared to take it. :doh:

I'll tell you the same thing I told him: z-pack always works for me, usually with remarkable speed.
i'd be SHOCKED if you still had fever by this weekend.
Take your medicine, and you will be fine.
Viruses drag on longer in some people than in others.
It doesn't mean anything about your general health.
Just take your medicine, and come back in three days and tell us how much better you are.
best wishes. :hugs:

adam4little
09-02-17, 16:39
Fever finally broke. The cough still lingers and almost seems worse, but hey looks like I'm on the mend.

:yesyes:

Fishmanpa
09-02-17, 16:45
Fever finally broke. The cough still lingers and almost seems worse, but hey looks like I'm on the mend.

:yesyes:

"Told ya so!" ;)

Positive thoughts