PDA

View Full Version : Side effects making work impossible

Icket
08-02-17, 18:09
After an awful year, I was finally brave enough to go the doctor. I think I'm more anxious than depressed, but after putting my husband through everything the guilt is on a continuous loop, which makes me anxious, which throws me into an attack, which makes me guilty again. Between that and the side effects of the celexa (it's been 6 days) my brain is a mess. Cold sweats, vomiting, insomnia and exhaustion, blurred vision and a constant weight on my chest.

I have Valium for the short term, but only so much, so the stress of keeping them until I "really" need them is making the anxiety worse.

I called the dr just to see if they could write me an excuse for work for the short term. They asked why and when I told them the effects, they said they need to see me again. God I don't want to start over and I feel like a ridiculous addict if I ask for the Valium.

More than anything I don't want to go back and I just feel awful now for even calling. I just don't want to be a pain to anyone. And for the record, my husband is amazing, but I have zero clue how to make this better for him.

Gah.

All the while, it takes every single ounce to act fine and patient when my kids are around. The mom in me doesn't want them to see a single bit of this.

PunkyFish
08-02-17, 18:51
After an awful year, I was finally brave enough to go the doctor. I think I'm more anxious than depressed, but after putting my husband through everything the guilt is on a continuous loop, which makes me anxious, which throws me into an attack, which makes me guilty again. Between that and the side effects of the celexa (it's been 6 days) my brain is a mess. Cold sweats, vomiting, insomnia and exhaustion, blurred vision and a constant weight on my chest.

I have Valium for the short term, but only so much, so the stress of keeping them until I "really" need them is making the anxiety worse.

I called the dr just to see if they could write me an excuse for work for the short term. They asked why and when I told them the effects, they said they need to see me again. God I don't want to start over and I feel like a ridiculous addict if I ask for the Valium.

More than anything I don't want to go back and I just feel awful now for even calling. I just don't want to be a pain to anyone. And for the record, my husband is amazing, but I have zero clue how to make this better for him.

Gah.

All the while, it takes every single ounce to act fine and patient when my kids are around. The mom in me doesn't want them to see a single bit of this.

Hi

The first step to recovery is admitting that you may very well have a problem. So firstly well done. The next step is getting some form of treatment which you currently are.

This sort of medication will make you feel worse before you begin to feel better so try and hang in there. The side effects should begin to ease in a few weeks. With antidepressants it's all about having the patience for them to work so if you need time off work then go for it. You need to put yourself first. When I was put on antidepressants I ended up having to have a few months off work but to be honest it was the best thing I could have done and now I'm living somewhat anxiety free which I believe is down to my medication.

You're not a pain, you are simply unwell at the moment. Your doctor has a duty to make sure you are healthy and if this means having to take time off work then so be it. Don't feel guilty this is what the doctor's job is all about. A doctor does this everyday.

:hugs:

Icket
08-02-17, 22:27
I just really suck at asking for help and I just don't know how. I've always been the one who has taken care of everything and everyone.

I had to make the decision to take my sister and best friend off life support which is absolutely what she wanted, but life crumbled after that. She knew I'd be strong enough to do it, and she was right, but, look where I am now. I feel sooooooo selfish.

PunkyFish
09-02-17, 15:29
I just really suck at asking for help and I just don't know how. I've always been the one who has taken care of everything and everyone.

I had to make the decision to take my sister and best friend off life support which is absolutely what she wanted, but life crumbled after that. She knew I'd be strong enough to do it, and she was right, but, look where I am now. I feel sooooooo selfish.

:hugs:I'm sorry to hear about that.

I think it's hard for most people to admit they need help. For me it was always about being viewed as weak by people but now I feel that it takes a lof of guts to admit that you need help.

Icket
10-02-17, 01:15
Thank you for the kind words. My husband was a saint and said a lot that I couldn't.

They switched me to 150mg of Effexor hoping that would ease the symptoms. I could live with them knowing they'd go away, but apparently I lost a lot of weight in a week.

They also gave me a huge time off work note, which has been an enormous weight off.

Again, thank you.

pulisa
10-02-17, 08:19
You poor lady-you have been through a terrible time with your sister.

Take the time to give yourself a breathing space and come to terms with your bereavement? Hopefully the meds will help you through this really challenging time once the initial side effects have worn off.