PDA

View Full Version : Replase

RandomGeeza
08-02-17, 20:37
So, so, so tired of battling with my panic and anxiety, whilst taking Mirtazapine.

6 months in and I am on my third relapse. I'm scheduled to see the Urgent Care Psych at our hospital tonight following a deep and distressing panic/anxiety attack earlier. One of a few today and following a week of slipping backwards.

My regular GP seems to think that my results and outcome thus far is unusual? Whilst I struggle to communicate my feelings to him when in surgery. So much so that my partner often comes in with me, to fill in the blanks. I suspect that the Mirt is no longer helping me and that it might be time for a change.

Overall, after three fleeting moments of recovery, and now the third relapse I am fed up to the max and just wanted to get out there and chat with others that feel like me.

Anyone...?

Ethansmom
08-02-17, 21:52
I am battling anxiety and severe panic. I had a relapse Friday after having to call an ambulance for frightening palpitations. I feel like I am back at square one.

RandomGeeza
09-02-17, 00:44
Same same. I hope you get yourself sorted, it is horrible feeling that way.

It was a useless attempt tonight trying to get through to see a NHS Urgent Care Psych.

Just home now after sitting there for three hours with another 2 hours to go, so that would make it nearly 3am before I got to see someone. Needless to say, I discharged myself and am now back at home.

Thankfully, I am a lot calmer at present, but for how long is anyone's guess.

I have moved my therapist's appointment forward to tomorrow afternoon and have a GP appointment booked for Friday afternoon.

As to where I go from there, I don't know...???

toothless
09-02-17, 15:20
Hi, I'm sorry your not doing too well, I know how despairing it can be to see that glimmer of hope followed by a relapse. I too am on mirtazapine 30mg, I have been on it for 8 months and I did have relases in the beginning. What mg are you on? My relapses have never been as severe as before I started mirtazapine.

I have read alot of people saying how mirtazapine is only good as a sleep aid and anti sickness but I do feel my mood has lifted. I must admit my last panic attack was very strong so I know the mirtazapine hasn't prevented them from occuring. Maybe you could try switching meds, why were you put on mirtazapine? Can you tolerate ssri's, I can't which is why I was prescribed it. I must admit the relapses gutted me as I was hoping by taking medication all the anxiety would go but I don't think that really happens.

people often take venlafaxine with mirtazaine, maybe you could ask about that?

I have come to realise that recovery is always ups and downs and that medication is only half of making me better, the other half is understanding what cases my anxiety, my thought patterns and my reactions to the physical symptoms of panic. Have you had any therapy? What causes you to panic, what do you fear?

I hope you feel better soon

RandomGeeza
09-02-17, 17:30
Thanks for sharing... It's good knowing I am not alone. In the midst of an attack I feel ever so alone.

I'm on 30mg too. When I was first diagnosed the Psych asked me to choose between Sertraline or Mirt, so I asked him which he recommended and he said Mirt. Due to its low side effect profile.

I haven't explored any of the SSRI's as such. Although, I was on Effexor for a little while about 15 years ago, but it was neither here nor there and tbh I don't remember much about the experience itself. Aside from a weird taste on day one... I think I took it for a few weeks at most and then gave up.

I did try Citalopram once, but that made me badly within hours of taking it. So, that too was thrown.

According to my therapist, I may be setting myself up for the fall. You see, six months in I was expecting to be at a different level of recovery to where I actually am. Therefore, to not be where I thought I would be I am putting pressure on myself, and using the line, "the meds don't work". They most probably are doing what they need to do. However, I am subconsciously testing it. This then is in itself leading to a level of anxiousness which then feeds into my downward spiral. So, having now realised this today, following my session, I am a little confused as to whether I am relapsing or as I said above, setting myself up. The latter is more truthful I suspect. So, I am going to see how I get on over the next few days and catch up with my GP tomorrow for my review.

toothless
09-02-17, 19:46
Hi, im glad your having therapy and can talk things over, anxiety is something I wouldnt wish on anyone. You sound more positive today and I think seeing what happens over the next few days is a good idea, changing meds is a big step because of possible withdrawal but speak to your gp and see what they think.

Relapses are very hard and not being where you want to be will be hard for you too. I think relapses help us to learn ways of coping with panic, I reckon eveybody durimg times of stress will have a relapse in the future, wether its weeks, months or years later, if you can learn to accept this and to not fear them you will get through them.

You have already got through two relapses so you will get through this one too, my relapses start with usually feeling stressed or not sleeping well and then negative thoughts will bring :hugs:the physical aymptoms on, which are bad tummy, nausea, palpitation, rushes, insomnia. These feelings are the worst, but I try to relax and accept them as adrenaline and to not be fearful of them as this will keep them going ( this isnt easy and takes practice ) I try to get on with my day and do more exercise and I tell myself positive thoughts. Eventually they go away.

Lots of things used to trigger panic in me, like feeling a bit sick, or if I had a bad tummy or feeling palpitations from exercising as they would remind me of my anxiety and I would become fearful which would create physical symptoms but now im ok with them as ive got used to accepting them.

If you can lose the fear element you win back control, panic is just sensations, they cant harm us but it takes practice to accept them. Then you will realise that you can control how much a set back can affect you by knowing how to respond.

Sorry for going on, I hope it helped you.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

The hug was meant to be at the end

RandomGeeza
10-02-17, 18:56
If you can lose the fear element you win back control, panic is just sensations, they cant harm us but it takes practice to accept them.

Yes... I just wish it was that easy. It scares the living daylights out of me, and hence causes me a great deal of distress.

My GP has increased the dose of Mirt today, 45mgs. So with a little insight from my therapist and a stronger dose, I'm hoping to turn the corner. Time will tell.

toothless
11-02-17, 13:48
I hope your increase helps you, I forgot to add I take propranolol too which helps to bring the physical sensations down , they can make you feel a bit wierd at first but if my anxiety is bad I take extra and I feel they help.

You will get there, it is really hard to accept and to not be scared, I still hate the feelings of panic and I still have an inital panic when they come, the dread of its back but then I try and be calm and tell myself I can cope, I will get through it. A good book called hope and help for your nerves by claire weekes explains all about nervous illness and the adrenaline/ panic cycle really helped me.

Let us know how you get on

RandomGeeza
11-02-17, 20:58
Thanks. I'll check out that book you mention.

Started the new regimen last night, felt OK until the legs started getting restless... OMG, I was practically walking around in bed. I'm hoping that it is a transient side effect... aside from that, I was fine. Here's to the future.

Edit: I've got some Propranolol myself, but it never touched me... and seemed to do nothing. But I suppose it is dose dependant, and I probably wasn't taking enough.

toothless
12-02-17, 12:33
How did you get on last night? I remember having restless legs for the first night I ever took mirtazapine but I was ok after that, hopefully it will go away, they are really hard to get sleep with.

It maybe worth trying a larger dose of propranolol it might just take the edge off it. I wish you all the best.

RandomGeeza
13-02-17, 18:08
How did you get on last night? I remember having restless legs for the first night I ever took mirtazapine but I was ok after that, hopefully it will go away, they are really hard to get sleep with.

It maybe worth trying a larger dose of propranolol it might just take the edge off it. I wish you all the best.

The legs thing is calming down but still there. Aside from that, I'm feeling a little more upbeat and stable... :)