PDA

View Full Version : Zpak

fbmb
08-02-17, 23:17
I have a sinus infection. I finally gave in after a week and started taking a zpak (azithromycin). Of course I read all about the sideeffects of this drug and scared myself. I read it can cause heart attacks (I'm 29 and I don't think I have underlying issues) and that it can sometimes be hard on the liver. That said, I have asked 2 doctors, 2 nurses, a nurse practitioner, and 3 pharmacists if this is true and they have all said its a safe, good drug.

I just took it now. I'm not panicked.but I'm worried about the heart stuff that the FDA put out. Have any of you taken it? Am I overreacting?

Sphincterclench
08-02-17, 23:23
Im torn on this.

I have drug phobias but reading all the what if's is probably bad. IF you have a sinus infection, take the pills beats the snot out of the alternative (pun intended)

These drug commercials terrify me.

It took me almost being suicidal before I sought meds for my HA. And I as much as I am far from over it, I am miles from where I was.

TL DR take the pills and feel better

fbmb
08-02-17, 23:31
I a have tons of yellow thick mucus, pain, and an ear infection. I also have the flu but this started before the flu did. And I waited a whole week and am getting worse. So my doc was confident its bacterial. I hate meds. But having a bacterial infection probably isn't ideal either. All of the medical people I talked to I trust. I don't know why I let this run away with me.

GlassPinata
08-02-17, 23:40
I have a sinus infection. I finally gave in after a week and started taking a zpak (azithromycin). Of course I read all about the sideeffects of this drug and scared myself. I read it can cause heart attacks (I'm 29 and I don't think I have underlying issues) and that it can sometimes be hard on the liver. That said, I have asked 2 doctors, 2 nurses, a nurse practitioner, and 3 pharmacists if this is true and they have all said its a safe, good drug.

I just took it now. I'm not panicked.but I'm worried about the heart stuff that the FDA put out. Have any of you taken it? Am I overreacting?

I've taken z-packs a number of times, over the past 15 years or so. Often for strep throat, which I get pretty frequently.
Now, z-pack is the 5-day thing, right?
You take 2 the first day, and then one each consecutive day?
I am a small woman (5 foot 2, 105 pounds) and I have never had any troubling side effects from taking zythromyacin.
If you don't suffer from advanced Hepatitis or other liver disease, your liver can take it. Trust me.
I actually LOVE z-packs, because they seem to work much faster in getting rid of the infection than your standard 14-day prescription for amoxicillin or whatever.
The only problem I have with them is they often cause me to get vaginal yeast infections (I believe it is called thrush in the UK).
This is an expected side effect, as they kill off the good bacteria in the body, as well as the bad, leading to an overgrowth of yeast.
But other than that, never had a problem with zythromyacin, and will probably take it again next time I'm sick.
I'd advise you take it, and you'll be shocked at how quickly it knocks out that sinus infection!
Your doctor would not have prescribed it if he thought you had any condition that would make it dangerous. Seriously, he doesn't want to get sued!
You're fine. take the z-pack.

:hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
09-02-17, 00:21
The section for professionals on Drugs.com says following:

Cardiovascular
Cardiovascular side effects have rarely included arrhythmias (including ventricular tachycardia), prolongation of the QT interval, torsades de pointes, palpitations, hypotension, and chest pain in postmarketing experience. A causal relationship has not been established.

Note the last statement - no causal relationship established. So, they are a "may" but we never determined whether it was connected to this drug or just coincidence.

Miznuvem0412
09-02-17, 05:21
I've taken it before a few times never had problems only reason why my doctor gave me that antibiotic because I'm notorious of quitting meds after a few days :) lol