PDA

View Full Version : Wife, History of Colon Cancer and a symptom or two, but she won't get it checked

lofwyr
09-02-17, 02:09
All right, first off, TMI warning, not graphic, but it's about the colon, so, well, yeah.

Anyway, with the warning out of the way, for the past few days, my wife has complained about having to go to the bathroom, but not really being able to, and then only a small bit comes out, and it still feels like she has to go.

From my own anxiety ridden days, this is something I recall as a symptom (potentially) of scarier things. I told her she should go get it checked out, but she knows my penchant for anxiety, and pretty much adamantly refuses to go to the doctor about it, thinking (and she is probably right) that there is nothing wrong.

The question is--this problem is only a few days old--but am I crying wolf, or should I keep pressing her to maybe go get checked out? She had a grandmother who got CC, but not until she was in her 60s, and my wife is only 43. They don't even start routine screening around here until 50.

I worry that something treatable could become something untreatable because she is stubborn. But then it is probably nothing anyway. Would these symptoms worry you?

The thing about anxiety that sucks, it is not always about us. And I have annoyed her in the past with this...

StephA
09-02-17, 02:28
This sounds like typical constipation to me. I would have her try increasing her fiber and water intake and perhaps some exercise to try and get things moving. If that doesn't help then maybe check with a doctor about a stool softener or mild laxative. However if ever in doubt always consult a doctor. Try not to worry too much!

Sixpack
09-02-17, 02:37
Definitiely too early to jump to colon cancer. We all have troubles with poo occasionally.

MyNameIsTerry
09-02-17, 03:21
Many symptoms cross over, it's important that everything is considered and not just the worst case.

The most common cause of a few days of constipation is - constipation.

I bet your wife has had it many times in her life, we all do. Her response is the correct one and typical of normal reaction to something like this.

Nzxt27
09-02-17, 03:44
They usually start at 50 or ten years before the family member was diagnosed with colon cancer.

At 43 it would be rare but colon cancer is hireditary a lot. So it's not out of question but I'd be expecting to see more symptoms then just constipation before jumping gun to see a GI doctor

NoraB
09-02-17, 06:51
I'm in agreement with the others..

Lots of things can cause constipation like dietary changes, taking supplements, medication, lack of exercise, dehydration and hormonal changes. Your wife is in the age bracket for peri-menopause and a lot of women who have never had problems with constipation before start to complain about it. I used to be a regular twice a day gal with no problems whatsoever until I hit the menopause and then I became prone to constipation and I do remember that my mum went the same way during her menopause and there was nowt up with her colon.

Sphincterclench
09-02-17, 15:55
I concur, way too early to make that leap. Ironically my wife is having the same issue yet she is a bit younger, and she will up her fiber and water intake and within a day or so she will be her old regular self again.

lofwyr
12-02-17, 00:41
Thanks for the input everyone.

Her main thing, and the thing that scares me, but does not alarm her, is the feeling of incomplete voiding, like still having to go after going. I try not to bring stuff up, because she is pretty much the opposite of whatever we are. Health Relaxed? She maybe doesn't worry enough, and gets fed up with my obsessive worry, naturally. I would too, though she is very patient with me.

Anyway, I know IBS can also cause similar issues, and it is her monthly visitor, which as I understand can also cause the same issues...but never the less, telling a worrier not to worry is easier said than done, obviously.

Leah88
12-02-17, 00:53
It definelty sucks when our anxiety is even projected onto our loved ones. Like everyone has said it's probably inadequate fibre and water intake so maybe give it a week or so then if it's still a problem just ask her to go to the gp for your mental wellbeing. I did this to my poor husband about a year ago when he was having trouble emptying his urethra and also had a sore shoulder so I cried for a week thinking he had prostate metastasises. I asked him to please go to the GP to appease me. He has a lot of patience though.

lofwyr
12-02-17, 02:17
I take it he was fine? I know, projection of anxiety is a huge problem with me. When my son was 10 years old, he had a lot of glands so swollen, and they stayed that way for three years. For the first year, I was a total wreck.

I have gotten better overall, but I do have these relapses every now and then.

Cusper
12-02-17, 03:28
I can so relate to what you are saying. My husband believes he has superior genes and will barely so much as get a check up!! I had to force him to finally get a physical from my family doctor (since he was not originally from this city).

Anyhow I am sure that your wife is absolutely fine. My aunt had CC when she was in her mid 60's and I am telling you, (according to my mother) it wasn't a day or so of constipation. Plus, my aunt was very very unhealthy in her habits. I do agree that colonoscopies are important earlier than 50 as a precaution for people who have it in the family. I will probably go at around 45 just to be sure. However there is one thing that I have been reading that us HA'ers don't get. It's all about how we perceive ourselves. My husband believes he is healthy and very rarely gets so much as a cold. I believe I could get the worst disease at any time... and it can happen any moment!

So from what I've learned that our thoughts and beliefs very much have something to do with our state of health. There is a guy named Gregg Braden who is a scientist who has proof that it affects our DNA. Again, I am sure your wife is absolutely fine. Don't worry! Go have fun with your wife!!

Leah88
12-02-17, 04:02
I take it he was fine? I know, projection of anxiety is a huge problem with me. When my son was 10 years old, he had a lot of glands so swollen, and they stayed that way for three years. For the first year, I was a total wreck.

I have gotten better overall, but I do have these relapses every now and then.

Yes he is healthy as a horse. It was purely my anxiety. He understands I project H.A onto him because I love him but he still gets quite frustrated. I think worrying about a loved one is worse than fear of dying yourself. Well it is for me, my worst fear with my H.A is leaving my husband and soon to be child with no one to take care of them. That's the only thing that fuels it, not the death part itself.

lofwyr
12-02-17, 04:15
Yeah, I am the same way. When I think about my HA, it is not my death--while that would suck, it would hardly end the world--it is the effect that death would have on people around me.

It is not like we get to live forever, but still, it would be nice if we could all do a little better about living in the moment, and enjoying the good times, and dealing with the bad when the bad comes around.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. HA is an odd phenomenon, and not made easier by the internet, but at the same time, before the internet, I didn't have resources like this either. I just suffered alone. It is always good to not be alone, and to have a sounding board from others dealing with the same issues.