PDA

View Full Version : Tips to stop Dr Googling

poppy77
09-02-17, 11:07
Have you any?

Gary A
09-02-17, 11:59
Have you any?

It's about willpower, nothing more. The internet is far too easy to access these days, so it's really down to you realising exactly how much damage you're doing to yourself and refraining.

It's like any other addiction, you can get many tips and pointers, but ultimately it's down to you growing a set and having the willpower to steer clear.

Clydesdale Epona
09-02-17, 12:01
I often found when i was first stopping and found it really hard I would just google something else, when I found myself typing a symptom in I'd instead change it to something that always fascinated me like "why do we sneeze?" now I'm full of useless facts but it helped haha x

All the best x

Fishmanpa
09-02-17, 12:48
I've suggested this but as mentioned, it's down to self-control. There are parental controls that are part of or can be added to browser software. Ask a friend or loved one to block certain trigger sites and search words (cancer etc.) and password protect it so you can't access it.

Positive thoughts

SLA
09-02-17, 12:49
When you go to Google, stop, and do something else.

There are no gimmicks or tips.

Its on you.

LF87
09-02-17, 13:35
When I got over my HA a few years ago I just stopped cold turkey. Resist the urge absolutely, go do something else. We only end up a Google hole, I can spend hours and consequently weeks obsessed about some disease or other.

Does anyone find NMP is a bit of an addiction as well? I find myself browsing it as I would any other social page, even though it provokes anxiety sometimes. It makes me question the nature of HA and what drives it. Is some of it a little bit of infatuation with illness, rather than just anxiety? That's not to say I don't come on here because I want to vent, and equally help others. But I dunno, there's something addictive about NMP itself. My psychologist told me that in my CBT back when I was having it. Any thoughts?

busterrufus
09-02-17, 13:58
I think when it's done for reassurance it often comes back to bite us on the bum. When you have anxiety this can become an obsession which is extremely hard to stop, even for people who have strong willpower in other situations.

KeeKee
09-02-17, 14:20
As hard as it sounds you just have to stop. I learned my lesson around 14 months ago when I was worried about melanoma. I thought something had changed, wasn't worried and thought I'd mention it at my next GP appointment. A week or so later I decided to Google and it sent me into the worst Health Anxiety spiral I'd ever been in. I was absolutely convinced I had Melanoma and even lost my appetite (I'm a comfort eater and it's very rare for me to lose my appetite), the doctor took one look and told me it was not Melanoma.
You have to be careful as even minor things can be a trigger, I had a spot on my boob last year, nothing sinister crossed my mind and I Googled to see if it was acne or simply a heat spot or something and oh my, I read some pretty scary things and then had the indignity of getting a GP to check it for me. I no longer Google and it honestly helps immensely.

LF87, I do feel like this site is somewhat of an addiction for myself. Even when I have no worries or anything I still check it multiple times a day. I genuinely think that for me, it's because I like to see familiar faces (or rather user names), it's like a community I feel I belong to.

Sphincterclench
09-02-17, 15:35
Does anyone find NMP is a bit of an addiction as well?

I do. But opposed to circling the drain that is google, Its a fair trade in my mind.

SLA
09-02-17, 16:00
and do not see myself stopping anytime soon.

That's where you are going wrong.

It's tough!!!

If you say so!

SLA
09-02-17, 16:05
HA isn't a result of Googling.

Fishmanpa
09-02-17, 16:10
I'm not there yet and do not see myself stopping anytime soon. It's tough!!!

Here's the thing. By saying that you just admitted defeat before the battle has begun and essentially condemned yourself to feeding your beast :( Your anxiety is doing a happy dance! :yahoo:

Please don't get me wrong. Google is an amazing tool. Need a recipe? Google it. Need to find who has the lowest price for gas in your neighborhood? Google it. Google is great BUT... not for the HA sufferer.

It's not so much giving up Google or any other search engine as stopping yourself from searching out the fear you have. If you lack that self control reach out to a friend or loved on to help. As I suggested, Google has parental controls and additional apps to prevent certain sites and keywords from being searched. Have a friend or loved on set it up and password protect it on ALL your devices.

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
09-02-17, 16:18
Here's another suggestion...

If you find that you absolutely cannot resist the urge to Google, add the word "Anxiety" next to the symptom.

For example:

Twitching, anxiety... trouble swallowing, anxiety... tingling, anxiety, chest pains, anxiety... etc. etc. It will take you to pages that explain the relationship between the symptom and anxiety. And you'll find it will take you right back here where it's been explained hundreds and thousands of times.

There's always the sticky (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46865) too.. lots of great advice there.

Positive thoughts

SLA
09-02-17, 16:20
your approach seems to be mind over matter

That's very astute of you! :hugs:

Google certainly doesn't help HA.

It depends on what you google, what you choose to read, how long you choose to read for, and how you interpret the information.

Sometimes, it's just not that easy.

Beating HA is not easy, i'll say that. As someone who has had it as just as bad as anyone on here, I realise that. It still gets me from time to time.

One thing is for sure though. If you don't ever see it getting better, it never will. You won't ever get off of the starting block.

I feel a little judged here.

Again, this is on you. So what?! People judge...

I judge, you judge, we all judge, so what who cares.

I am always trying to help on here, and I am fascinated by the way people paint their own future by the words and phrases you use.

If I come across as an ass-hole, its because I am trying to shake you up and make your realise that.....

YOURE DOING THIS TO YOURSELF

...but thats ok. we all are. me included.

The more aware we are of that fact, the less of an impact it will have on our lives.

p.s I love you, so there!

swajj
10-02-17, 07:51
I don't think NMP is addictive really. I think people who are trying to avoid Googling fill that void by coming here. It's an anxiety forum so it is seen as somewhat legit lol.

The main reason that people come here is for reassurance. Reassurance seeking is as bad for HA as googling. NMP is never going to cure your HA.

pulisa
10-02-17, 13:35
It would be good if we could have a "Recovery From Health Anxiety " section where people didn't get annoyed if they were denied reassurance and were fully invested in getting better no matter how hard it was and no matter how blunt the advice was. Support would of course be always there from people who had successfully got beyond their HA..

swajj
10-02-17, 23:54
Hi Pulisa xx

I haven't seen you around much lately. I think that is a great idea. Maybe someone could suggest it to Nicole.

Catherine S
11-02-17, 00:11
CinnyBun, my health anxiety started over 40 years ago without the influence of online websites, it was a result of personal family experience. Nobody is judging you, but you did say if it was easy to stop googling nobody would have health anxiety. Your words. Googling symptoms doesn't help, but HA would still exist without googling.

ISB ☺

swajj
11-02-17, 00:17
Yes my first experience of HA was 15 years ago without any input from Google. My next was experience was many years later and I Gooled everything until my psych "banned" me from doing it. It is definitely detrimental.

Brian_VA
11-02-17, 02:18
When I got over my HA a few years ago I just stopped cold turkey. Resist the urge absolutely, go do something else. We only end up a Google hole, I can spend hours and consequently weeks obsessed about some disease or other.

Does anyone find NMP is a bit of an addiction as well? I find myself browsing it as I would any other social page, even though it provokes anxiety sometimes. It makes me question the nature of HA and what drives it. Is some of it a little bit of infatuation with illness, rather than just anxiety? That's not to say I don't come on here because I want to vent, and equally help others. But I dunno, there's something addictive about NMP itself. My psychologist told me that in my CBT back when I was having it. Any thoughts?

Yes, I agree with everything you said here.

xBettyBoopx
11-02-17, 02:22
Appoint one member to google for everyone then he/she can tell you all the good stuff and none of the bad! :D:D:D

http://e-patients.net/u/2015/11/Google-doctor-mug-300x300.jpg

:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Catherine S
11-02-17, 02:23
Love this Betty :D

ISB x

Dave1
11-02-17, 02:36
Fishmanpa said:

If you find that you absolutely cannot resist the urge to Google, add the word "Anxiety" next to the symptom.

Good suggestion, personally I would generalise that suggestion further: always Google to get something re-assuring. For example: if you believe your tremors are a withdrawal symptom of drug x, but are a little worried it could be an early sign of MS, then type "tremors withdrawal from x". Then you'll get the re-assurance you need. Don't type "tremors MS". You get what you Google.

Catherine S
11-02-17, 02:56
"You get what you Google " is absolutely right. I totally agree with the tips from FMP and Dave. Hopefully some of our dedicated googlers will try it out.

ISB ☺ x

Cusper
11-02-17, 02:58
I used to google symptoms but I had to stop because it ALWAYS led to the worst possible scenario. ALWAYS.

BUT.... what I do now is kind of funny.
So when I first have something that scares me I think ok, if this is still going on a month from now I can go to a doctor.

(I am just getting over a sinus infection but for a while I was getting scared because it was so painful)

The other thing I do is come on here and look up people who have had similar complaints that I have. Then I look at their history to see how many complaints they have had about similar diseases or just diseases in general and most people have lots and lots. It helps because it makes me think I am just having "another one", just another worry. And I am telling you the list is just as long as all of these other peoples.

Also, rather than googling symptoms, I watch TED talks on anxiety or inspiration or youtube anything where people have overcome their anxiety.

Hope this helps!

yassin3
11-02-17, 20:29
THank You For Sharing :)

Josh1234
12-02-17, 15:07
Yeah, show some self control.

lofwyr
12-02-17, 18:48
It is part of the obsessive portion of our disorder, and the only thing you can do to stop it is just don't do it. Remember that it has never helped you in the past, and in the past, I suspect it has caused you nothing but suffering.

I don't know a single person--even those without HA--who benefited from symptom surfing with google.

The place it is useful, is seeking help with something you KNOW you have, as in have been diagnosed with. But in that case, use it carefully. Would hate for a search on how to relieve symptoms of IBS with nutrition to turn into a panic state.

Just have to be strong!