PDA

View Full Version : Sitting, waiting in the ER

Mel_82
09-02-17, 18:01
So, I had an appointment at the hospital today for an ultra sound - they wanted to check my gallbladder.

I had a student do it, who asked me 2 times if I had eaten today and if I've had my gallbladder out - the answer was no to both.

Then her supervisor came in and checked and said "I see it too." Then asked if I ate and if I had my gallbladder out.

From there they sent me back into ER to register and wait for results and I've been here ever since - freaking out.

I assume because I saw an ER doctor 2 weeks ago and she ordered this test is why I'm getting immediate ER results ... but I'm freaking out about how they acted and said "they saw something."

I've been waiting for 2 hours now and I'm so anxious :(

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

The whole idea was for them to check my gallbladder, but if they asked if I had it removed it means that it wasn't that and they found something else?

AnnaZV
09-02-17, 18:23
How's it going Mel? Are you still waiting? Try not to think the worst. Hope everything turns out ok for you!

Mel_82
09-02-17, 18:26
Still sitting and waiting. No one has even aknowleded that I'm here.

PASchoolSyndrome
09-02-17, 18:29
Best of luck, Mel! I really hope it's something so small and insignificant! They wouldn't keep you waiting long if it was an emergency!

Annie0904
09-02-17, 18:42
I hope you get some news soon Mel, waiting is the worst part :(

Mel_82
09-02-17, 19:10
Waiting is awful. I've imagined the worst 178 times now.
I've moved from one waiting room to a new waiting room.

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

I'm excited to know why I've been having pain - but terrified of the C word. Especially after she kept asking me if I ate and that they "saw" something.

I'm finally waiting in an examination room.

Clydesdale Epona
09-02-17, 19:31
Keep us updated!
I know how sucky it is being left hanging :(

All the best x :hugs:

One_phobic_gal
09-02-17, 20:50
Hang in there I know waiting and thinking the worse is a terrible feeling. Hopefully they will get to you soon so you can relax Xx

NancyW
09-02-17, 20:52
Wish I was there with you, I'd be up and in their faces... it's cruel to make you wait like this and not even acknowledge that you are there.

Grrrrrr

Mel_82
09-02-17, 22:03
I completely agree that making someone wait 5 hours for results is just cruel. The doctor finally came - by this time I was sure I had some weird cancer growing.

She says to me "you have gallstones and need your gallbladder out." I was super happy that it wasn't cancer, but super cheesed that they made me wait in anxiety for that.

I have to get it removed - it will be my first surgery, but I'm so relieved to know what has been wrong with me and my stomach/chest.

Rhiannon.
09-02-17, 22:09
Thinking of you <3
Hope you are ok

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

So glad it was just gallstones :D

KeeKee
09-02-17, 22:09
Sorry you need it removing but so glad it wasn't anything sinister. It must have been a very stressful 5 hours. Hopefully the op will be quick as anything and you'll be feeling better in no time.

.Poppy.
09-02-17, 22:18
I completely agree that making someone wait 5 hours for results is just cruel. The doctor finally came - by this time I was sure I had some weird cancer growing.

She says to me "you have gallstones and need your gallbladder out." I was super happy that it wasn't cancer, but super cheesed that they made me wait in anxiety for that.

I have to get it removed - it will be my first surgery, but I'm so relieved to know what has been wrong with me and my stomach/chest.

Yeah, geez. I can't believe it took them that long to diagnose gall stones, or that they couldn't have at least told you, "we think it's gall stones, but we're going to run some tests just to be sure".

Sorry you have to get it removed - but I promise the surgery will be so much easier than what you've just endured!! :doh:

My mom had her gallbladder out a long time ago; she was sore for a couple of days but it was really an easy process.

NancyW
09-02-17, 23:00
Yep.... mine is out too. Not a bad surgery at all :-)

Mel_82
09-02-17, 23:16
Is it a day surgery? No over night?
Also, do you get put under for it?

Elen
10-02-17, 08:30
So glad that you finally got an answer.

I know people who have had this op and it appears to be relatively simple with a quick recovery time.

Annie0904
10-02-17, 08:40
I had my gallbladder out under general anaesthetic. They do keyhole surgery for it. Quite painful for a few days after but nothing too bad.

countrygirl
10-02-17, 12:09
Blimey you can tell you are not from UK. Here you would have just been told you have gallstones sometimes at the scan and send on your way with result going back to your GP then you would have had to wait probably couple of months for an appt with a consultant to discuss if you need your gallbladder removed.
I have had gallstones for 30 years but as long as I don't eat certain foods I am fine so don't need it out. Huge amount of people have them unknowingly without symptoms but once they are a problem best out.

Mel_82
12-02-17, 16:08
Blimey you can tell you are not from UK. Here you would have just been told you have gallstones sometimes at the scan and send on your way with result going back to your GP then you would have had to wait probably couple of months for an appt with a consultant to discuss if you need your gallbladder removed.
I have had gallstones for 30 years but as long as I don't eat certain foods I am fine so don't need it out. Huge amount of people have them unknowingly without symptoms but once they are a problem best out.

Haha no I'm not in the UK.
Mine has to come out, it's painful no matter what I eat/don't eat.
I'd rather just get it out than risk an attack - I've heard that attacks are awful.

My dad had a gallbladder issue undetected for 3 years and he kept thinking he had heart issues when he didn't.

Cusper
12-02-17, 17:17
So happy you are ok! Sorry for your gallstones.

nivekc251
12-02-17, 19:41
Easy surgery I've assisted in about 30. It's outpatient in the US, but it is Gen Anesthesia. You'll be back your old self in about a week. 3 one inch incisions, or 4 depending on the doctor, and hardly any blood loss.