PDA

View Full Version : Climbing stairs just two sets

Nzxt27
10-02-17, 00:57
So today I was riding around just enjoying my day and I decided to go by a college and see about a program I get there walk up two sets of stairs to front door and was kinda out of breathe and heart pounding probably atleast 130bpm.

It calmed back down as I was leaving which I was in there for about 5-10 mins.

Now I'm worried it's something more with my heart or something. Is this another things anxiety is trying to control me with?? I am only 33 by the way and don't smoke or drink. And only about 20 pounds over weight.

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:52 ----------

My resting pulse usually around 65-70. And last time I had my blood pressure checked was Jan 3rd it was 120/82.

PanickyGuy
10-02-17, 01:06
Did you pass out, hit the floor? Was your chest hurting real bad? Did you have shortness of breath? Were you extremely weak? Doesn't sound like any of that, if you made it to the door and into the room, then able to leave 5-10 mins later and walk back out. You're probably like me, just out of shape carrying some extra weight. :D

I get out of breathe along with high bpm when I'm trying to walk up hills. I'm pretty sure that's normal for the heart to operate like that, unless you're a top athlete that can handle it with ease. Because your heart has to pump faster and harder when you do that, it's lot of work pushing your body up on a incline. It's about like running on a flat surface. Right? ;)

Nzxt27
10-02-17, 01:21
I didn't hit the floor or get dizzy or anything but I was out if breathe done talking to the lady not like crazy out of breathe but I could tell a little. I don't think I had any chest pains and if I did it would been minor that I don't even remember. When I got home I walked up our driveway which is decent size hill and pretty steep and yeah my heart went up some but nothing like the stairs. I did Google ( :0 ) Abd I guess it's normal for stairs to get you out of breathe some and raise your heart rate some even for people in great shape. I guess it's one the best workouts your body can do. That and swimming.

---------- Post added at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

Weird thing is two days ago I went to a nhl game and had to walk up 3 flights of stairs to get to road leading to arena and I didn't get out if breathe half as bad and heart didn't race half as much as today. Maybe I started getting anxious before I climbed them today. I know I got anxious some before the ones on way to hockey game. Been worried about my heart lately :(.

If it's not one thing it's another

PanickyGuy
10-02-17, 01:39
Well see the steeper the incline, the more your legs and heart have to work to get you up those stairs as you are literally pushing yourself upwards with each step. So those stairs you walked up today, probably have bit more steep incline then the ones you walked up two days ago.

I'll bet you there is difference with the incline, concerning those two different types of stairs you walked up. ;)

Josh1234
10-02-17, 02:41
Dude, go get help for your anxiety. You're all over the place. Walking up two flights of steps will make most out of breath.

swajj
10-02-17, 07:24
Were you thinking about your heart prior to or when climbing the stairs? If you were already in an anxious state then your breathing would have been affected. Our breathing tends to be very shallow when we are anxious. Increased heart beat is absolutely normal for that activity. My doctor told me that as long as your heart beat begins to slow down within 5 or 10 minutes after exertion there is nothing to worry about.

Dave1
10-02-17, 20:58
I'm a lot older and when going up stairs after a meal I can feel my heart working hard. Maybe you're too young, but did you just eat a big meal?

montys
10-02-17, 22:46
I get the exact same thing. It's just anxiety. I am an active person but when I'm in the middle of a day where my baseline anxiety is high, I feel out of breath and a strong heartbeat after I climb the two flights of stairs to my apartment.

Stairs are physically demanding for pretty much everyone. If you're prone to health anxiety, the bodily sensations of heightened physical activity are far more noticeable. :)

bin tenn
10-02-17, 23:53
I USED TO experience this. Now I can walk a few flights before I really feel winded/heart pounding. I'm almost 30, and not overweight by any means. Being out of shape/unconditioned sucks! Exercise regularly and you'll likely see improvement over several weeks or a few months - I know I did.

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-17, 05:11
When my anxiety was at the harder stages I used to get that walking upstairs in my house.

Muscular tension can easily cause things like this. As can what swajj mentioned.

I used to watch the smokers at work in their twenties get out of breath walking up one flight.

Your heart is very strong and built to take a lot of demand. As are your lungs. Think how much running, heavy lifting, etc you have done in your life.

swajj
11-02-17, 07:27
I used to try to avoid walking up stairs whenever I could because getting puffed made me so anxious. If there was a lift or an elevator I would use it even if I only had to go up one flight. My classroom, for 2 years of my HA was upstairs. My school is over 100 years old and beautiful but the stairs are really steep. I was puffed going up those stairs for 2 years. Last year I moved downstairs so no issue. This year I moved back upstairs and I can manage the 3 flights without a problem. The only thing that has changed is I am no longer anxious. I think my problem was a combination of being anxious about getting puffed and like Terry said muscular tension. Muscular tension was responsible for almost all of my symptoms.