PDA

View Full Version : red/ look like bloody stool after fluoxetine

rajatrao1994
10-02-17, 04:12
Hi ppl im rajat from india 23 old guy ... Im suffering from ibs anxiety and depression for 6 years back then doc. Prescribed me pari cr and some antibiotics for ibs wwith no improvement
I took paxil cr for 1 year.. so i stopped it by cold turkey .. After 6 months now im very anxious and depressed so im taking (self medicating) fluoxetine 10 mg its my 4th day im feeling like im alive little panic attacks ..but today i see red stool im worried . I dont want stop taking fluoxetine .. nor i dont want to go to doctor i have no money left nor my family is tat rich ..so im worried about my health please tell its Normal or not.. Lov ya
Soory for bad English :)

panic_down_under
10-02-17, 06:42
Hi ppl im rajat from india 23 old guy ...

Welcome to No More Panic, :welcome:

so im taking (self medicating) fluoxetine 10 mg its my 4th day im feeling like im alive little panic attacks ..

This is very unwise

but today i see red stool im worried .

Do you have hemorrhoids, or constipated?

Are you taking other medications, including herbal medicines, folk remedies, etc?

about my health please tell its Normal or not

No, it is not normal. Whether it is serious I cannot say.

Red stools usually indicate bleeding around the anus, not higher up in the bowels. Fluoxetine is a mild anticoagulant which may cause an increase in minor bleeding from hemorrhoids, or anal fissures, but this is not usually serious unless it is taken with other anticoagulants such as aspirin, ibuprofen, Warfarin, etc.

If it continues you should see a doctor. If the stools become black, tarry then seek medical help immediately.

Roman
10-02-17, 08:28
I feel for you raj. I have done examining my stool and worrying, but this will not help you. You need to speak to the doctor to put your mind at ease (and most importantly find out if fluox is for you, as self prescribing is not a good idea). Keep speaking to people on here it really helps.

rajatrao1994
11-02-17, 03:32
@panic_down_under thanks for reply ill go to my doc tomorrow. Im taking homeopathic medicine and ashwagandha and bharami (Ayurvedic) i dont hav constipation or hommoroids i have ibs some times watery stools and some time normal stool 4 to 5 times a day and mucous in my stool .. should i take homeopathic medicine for ibs or not im taking it for 20days of now ..and sory i dont know how to write in English :)
@Roman thanks bro ..ill keep posted will i go to my doc
1 more question should i need to do my stool test or not

GlassPinata
11-02-17, 04:01
Rajat- I don't have the answer but I doubt it's anything serious due to your young age... speak to your doctor, and keep posting here.
I'm sure you will be alright! It could be due to something you ate.

Best wishes.

panic_down_under
11-02-17, 05:11
@panic_down_under thanks for reply ill go to my doc tomorrow.

A very good idea!

Im taking homeopathic medicine and ashwagandha and bharami (Ayurvedic)

Ashwagandha has anticoagulant (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10720789) properties, bharami (Bacopa monnieri) may increase serotonin (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21129470) levels so probably should not be taken with SSRIs, SNRIs and other serotonin reuptake inhibiting mediations. These are the reasons people should not self-medicate pharmaceutical drugs!!!!! They can have potentially dangerous interactions with other drugs, including herbal remedies.

should i take homeopathic medicine for ibs or not im taking it for 20days of now

Not without checking if they are okay with a doctor or pharmacist first if taking pharmaceutical drugs.

rajatrao1994
11-02-17, 14:57
@panicdownunder thanks sir today i didn't take my herbal medicine i have less stomach pain n today is done my stool test result
Colur: brownish color
Consistency: semisolid
Moucous : not seen
Blood :not seen
Rbc: 1-2
Pus cells/hpf: nil
Lumbricoides/round: not seen
A.deodinal/hook: not seen
E vermicula/thread: not seen
T. Trichura/whip: not seen
T. Saginata/tape: not seen
H. Nana/dwarf tape: not seen
E.histolytica: not seen
G. Lamblia: not seen
E. Coli: not seen
Occult blood others: present
Pls Tell me its normal

GlassPinata
11-02-17, 15:02
Occult blood others: present

"Occult blood" would be hidden blood, not visible to the naked eye.
If it's "present", then yes, you are correct: there is blood in your stool.
I am not sure whether this is normal or not, but I suspect not.
That said, I'm sure there are many possible causes, and cancer would be a highly unlikely one due to your young age.

What further testing does your doctor recommend, to find out why there is occult blood in your stool? or does he say this is normal?
You need to demand these answers from your doctor, not from a bunch of untrained strangers on an anxiety forum.
We cannot diagnose you or analyze your test results.
What we can offer is support.
And I certainly do support you and empathize with what you're going through.
But your doctor needs to explain the "occult blood present" result.
You need to DEMAND an explanation.
And please return and tell us what's going on.
Best wishes!

rajatrao1994
12-02-17, 13:19
@panicdownunder hello sir.. doc says ok no problem ..he prescribed me Nitazoxanide and ofloxacin tablets , Pantoprazole 40 MG and wat bother me tat he prescribed me fluoxetine 40mg ..im self medicating fluoxetine 10 for 6 days of now... But 40mg is it ok?

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

@panicdownunder and Thank you for your concern :)

panic_down_under
12-02-17, 21:04
wat bother me tat he prescribed me fluoxetine 40mg ..im self medicating fluoxetine 10 for 6 days of now... But 40mg is it ok?

No, it is not okay to go from 10mg to 40mg in one step. You should increase the dose to 20mg tomorrow, and then you could jump to 40mg after a week at 20mg, but it might be better to also do a week at 30mg.

If you do not have enough 10mg tablets/capsules to do this, you can dissolve the contents of 40mg capsules in a measured quantity of water or fruit juice (but not from grapefruit) - stir vigorously for a minute - and progressively drink a quarter of the mixture to get a 10mg dose, then a half to get 20mg, and three quarters for 30mg. The mixture should keep for a week when refrigerated.

rajatrao1994
13-02-17, 03:16
Thanks:) 20mg starting from today.. homeopathic medicine harmful with fluoxetine? Like herbal medicines?

panic_down_under
13-02-17, 04:53
Thanks:) 20mg starting from today.. homeopathic medicine harmful with fluoxetine? Like herbal medicines?

Homeopathic medicines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy) are high risk....to your wallet!

They are just very expensive water. If they work it is because of the placebo effect, not what is inside the bottle. See:

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/homeo.html

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-9542,00.html

rajatrao1994
13-02-17, 05:21
I wlli not take homeopathic medicine from now onwards .. but then how i heal my gut ?(ibs) ? Ihave wheatgrass and glutamine too but i will not take any non prescription drug without asking you:)

panic_down_under
13-02-17, 06:24
but then how i heal my gut ?(ibs)

Your doctor has already prescribed medication for what he thinks the problem is, not IBS, but Helicobacter pylori infection in the stomach, plus an infection of the intestines. At least this is what I assume the nitazoxanide, ofloxacin and pantoprazole are for. The first is an antiviral/antiparasitic, the second an antibiotic and the third reduces stomach acid production.

I cannot say whether he is right, I'm not a doctor, nor do I have the diagnostic information he has.

If you do have IBS, antidepressants such as Prozac have been shown to be an effective treatment (PDF (https://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/files/educational-gi-brochures/Antidepressants.pdf)), however, they may make it worse for the first week or two.

rajatrao1994
13-02-17, 07:37
Ok thanks ill get back to you tomorrow :)

rajatrao1994
14-02-17, 11:24
Sir / i heard tat if we increase the dosage recovery time will increase ?! I will start 40mg at my 4th week means my recovery time start from 4th week?:( Im on 8th day ..

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

Or should I stick with 20mg?