PDA

View Full Version : Anyone split mirtazapine dose?

PixieP
10-02-17, 15:06
So I saw my GP today as had increased dose from 15 to 22.5mg couple of weeks ago. Anxiety improved but not much and intrusive thoughts still there so she said try 30mg last week. After one dose of 30mg anxiety sky high again so she advised stick at 22.5 for now. Been taking 1.5 tablets at night but just wondering whether it's worth taking 15mg at night and then 7.5 in the morning. Anyone tried this at all? Discussed changing meds but she wants me to stick with the mirt for now. Thanks for any advice. I'm also having CBT so hopeful I may be able to change my thinking patterns with some help there.

panic_down_under
10-02-17, 23:05
Been taking 1.5 tablets at night but just wondering whether it's worth taking 15mg at night and then 7.5 in the morning. Anyone tried this at all?

Mirtazapine has a fairly long half-life, 20-40 hours, so it probably won't make much difference, but there is no harm in trying split doses. You might be a little more sedated in the morning, however.

hanshan
14-02-17, 13:36
People with anxiety often have a surge of anxiety or a panic attack shortly after taking a new medication or a change in their dose. It's often due to the anxiety, not the medication - though no-one can for sure whether that's the case in any particular instance.

As for splitting the dose and taking it twice a day, there shouldn't be any problem. Drug manufacturers recommend only the minimum necessary daily doses because people often have trouble complying with multiple daily doses, even when these would be pharmacologically better.

Benjammin69
03-03-17, 18:18
I've done a split doses of mirt before - didn't really make a difference to be honest.