PDA

View Full Version : alcohol

dave11282
18-04-07, 20:24
hi all

I know this has been talked about alot recently.

But just to say I had a few drinks this week, & my anxiety has gone through the roof.

I am ok, until the following day, and then I get that rebound effect of anxiety and depression

Just reminds me why I dont drink regularly now.

regards

groovygranny
19-04-07, 09:44
Hi Dave!

GG is partial to red wine but avoids over indulgence too nowadays. Just returned from holiday where alcohol isn't available in copious amounts and, to be quite honest, I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would!

Apart from a few glasses of the local lager and a glass of the local white wine at dinner, I drank mostly water (cos it wuz very hot!) and fruit cocktails !!

And I haven't had any alcohol since I've been home! Mind you only got back on Tuesday nite so I think there may be a bottle of red somewhere with my name on it come Friday :yesyes:!!

After effects are pants aren't hey??:huh: and I do slip up now and again, and always regret it later!!

Take care

David985623
21-04-07, 21:42
Hi

I only have a couple of of drinks every few weeks now because my anxiety is always worse the next day.

Dave

anxious
21-04-07, 22:04
Hi there

:shrug: i never learn. If i have a couple i'm fine, but anymore and i'm awful the next day.

anx xx

ksmith
21-04-07, 23:29
Hi Dave

I find it hard to leave my old life so to speak and every now and again lapse and drink, smoke & eat takeaways. I always pay for it in the long run and it's not too long before symptoms re-appear. That's why I am a reluctant health freak these days lol

Like I've said before, old habits die hard eh?

Kay x

dave11282
22-04-07, 19:34
Hi all

thanks for comments,

I have been suffering from chronic anxiety/PTSD for 20+ yrs.

I definitely used alcohol to try to self medicate .
For me it amplifies all my symptoms of anxiety the following day.

The limbic system controls emotions and memory. As alcohol affects this system, the person is subject to exaggerated states of emotion (anger, aggressiveness, withdrawal) and memory lossI definitely have feelings of exaggerated emotion.

I have been off alcohol for 2 yrs now, overall I feel better.

I had a few gins &tonic last week, at first I felt relaxed, but then the following day, wow, I was on edge..

Without my PTSD (from serious motorcycle accident), who knows, perhaps I would not be so sensitive to these symptoms

regards

Dave

samtheman
23-04-07, 19:56
I'll be honest, I gave up alcohol recently and it has made totally no difference to my anxiety, if anything it has made me more depressed breaking a habit of having a few beers at the weekend which was something I looked forward to all week, sure you feel anxious with a hangover but I felt anxious anyway so odds difference