PDA

View Full Version : Snow phobia

hopeful1
11-02-17, 12:23
Feeling really anxious today. It is snowing, and after a really traumatic experience 11 years ago I am still panicking and feeling ill at the mere sight of a snowflake. I used to live in a remote part of UK and on a really bad deep snow day my husband went into cardiac a rest and died. The emergency services couldn't get to us for ages and my attempts at resuscitation didn't work. Now even after PTSD counselling and moving south istill feel rubbish and just trying to get through the day. My anxiety is high and I just can't get rid of it. What do others do to calm themselves Down? I already had health anxiety before, but this just feels crap.

KeeKee
11-02-17, 13:44
I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I have no idea how you could get over this. Do you have to leave the house? Is there anyway you can stay at home, shut the curtains and try to keep occupied? I know it probably won't make much difference, but I can imagine actually seeing the snow is even worse than knowing it's snowing for you.
I hope something can help ease your anxiety.

hopeful1
11-02-17, 14:23
Thank you Keekee, curtains are now shut and heating up. I did actually go out earlier, thought facing my fear would help. It didn't but I am still alive regardless so a sort of positive. This is so ridiculous but I just want to sleep until the snow has finished, this takes SAD, anxiety to a higher Level! I have, at the start of the year, taken on the 1000 mile walk challenge (walk about 4 miles a day) which has made amazing improvement to my anxiety but today I just feel floored. No more panic is my place of sanity as I don't feel so alone and hearing others who are the same, one way or another, is reassuring, even if none of us like it, if you know what I mean.

beatroon
11-02-17, 14:31
I'm so sorry to hear this, it does sound as though a very traumatic event happened to you which has triggered some bad feelings when you see snow now. You sound like a very strong and sensible person, and well done for going outside in the snow and testing your limits! As you say, the absence of total freak-out is a kind of positive and I think that it's this kind of positive that recovery is based on.

Hopefully the snow won't last too long where you are but might you consider getting some help from the GP, if it's causing you significant problems? It sounds like a form of PTSD. My hair stylist (random story) had a life-threatening illness when he was young which means he has panic attacks any time he passes a hospital, or sees any medical references - exposure therapy has really helped him.

hopeful1
11-02-17, 15:23
Hi beetroon and thank you for your reply. I have had loads of therapy and have been on Citalopram for ages. I think this problem is going to be my thorn in my side for ever, I've given up hope of it going away. My new partner suggests a holiday to see the Northern lights would help - I suggest HE would need therapy after taking me there lol! Humour helps and the snow has stopped now. Has your friend totally recovered from his hospital issues or like me does he just get through It? I'm interested to know how he does it.

beatroon
11-02-17, 15:39
Haha, well, facing your fears would be one way to do it, via the Northern Lights! It's a lovely thought though!

Glad to hear you're feeling better. My friend just gets on with it, I think, but because he recognises what the problem is and where it stems from, it has got better. If he has to go past a TV with Casualty on, he just steels himself and does breathing exercises, and he says it's gradually going away on its own. It isn't a major problem because it's not like he's a hairstylist who's got a scissor phobia, or something!

Wondering whether you've tried ERP (Exposure and Response Prevention)? I don't know if it's recommended for PTSD. It's very helpful for specific phobias though, I believe, and it also works for OCD. Basically you gradually expose yourself to your triggers without then resorting to whatever compulsion you do to make yourself feel better. It's common sense really - bit like what you did when you went out into the snow today. That, or perhaps some hypnotherapy - my partner found that very helpful with her fear of flying.

Hope you have a lovely evening!