PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about time off work.

Fay13
11-02-17, 14:42
My Dr recently prescribed me Sertraline for my anxiety which has been worse the last month or so. The side effects I got were really bad so I only took one pill before going back to the Dr. She suggested signing me off work for a couple of weeks while the side effects were bad, and I suggested she put on my fit note that I was fit to work from home, for two weeks. We are understaffed at the moment, and I didn't really think two weeks of doing nothing would be beneficial to me anyway.

I had my first day working from home yesterday, and my manager came over at lunch to set up my laptop so home working was easier. We are good friends and see each outside of work sometimes. He mentioned that he would be sending me a formal email about me working from home. This worried me and I asked him what it was, and he said he'd been told not to talk to me about it and that it had to be done in the formal way. I asked him if it was anything bad, and then I said I'd rather he hadn't told me about it as now I was worried what it was. I gave him every opportunity to reassure me and say, no, its nothing bad, just our formal process but he wouldn't. We are a small company and use an outsourced HR company and they are reading this formal email and checking everything in it is ok before he sends it to me, so I still haven't received this email and it's really worrying me.

The fact he has been told not to talk to me about it and that anything they say has to be checked by this other company is making me think that they think they'll be saying something I won't like, and therefore want to make sure they are following the rules. But it's two weeks working from home, with a Dr's note, surely there is nothing they can do??? I have had occasional one off days working from home due to anxiety before (without a fit note because it has just been one day and they've never asked for one), but have always been upfront about it and have provided them with a one-off letter from the Dr (not a formal fit note) confirming that I do have anxiety etc. I have never had any verbal or written warnings about absence before, or even an informal conversation about it.

I've worked there for over 3 and a half years, so really, I'm sure there is not anything they can do, disciplinary-wise, about me working from home for 2 weeks with a Dr's note. Does anyone have any experience being off, am I right in thinking that there isn't anything they can do (in my head I'm imagining formal warnings, being demoted from my team leader role, or worst case being fired!)?

I'm sure its just the standard procedure, its just the way my manager (who is a good friend and who I would have thought would definitely reassure me if he could) refused to reassure me that it wasn't something bad and that I didn't need to worry that has got me really worrying about it!

beatroon
11-02-17, 15:02
Honestly I think the fact that you're already anxious may mean that you are reading into his silence more than it deserves. When I'm stressed out, I mind-read constantly, and quite often get it completely wrong and misread situations utterly. Not saying that you are getting the wrong end of the stick, but I would adjust my worry notch down by about 50% in this situation, to compensate for what your anxiety may be telling you that isn't real.

Dave1
11-02-17, 19:12
Hi,
I can't see it's anything drastic. Here is my guess (which I've carefully based on my near total ignorance of your situation :D ):- a formal warning that team leaders can't work from home long term and this must be a temporary arrangement only. Or maybe your manager has previously got into trouble for saying too much? Or maybe the HR company is making the issue more important to justify it's fees?

smoothiefun
11-02-17, 23:41
Because you have told them you have anxiety it gives you a lot of rights and they are not allowed to discriminate against you. The letter might even offer support and ask how they can help as business has a lot of responsibility to help you and make adjustments if necessary. But I understand your worry as it's what we do. I have just been signed off sick with anxiety and do worry but we have to put our wellbeing first.

Lucinda07
12-02-17, 10:06
I believe your company are trying to cover themselves. If you are off sick with anxiety, they do not want to burden you with work so you become worse. They would be held responsible.
If it is put in writing that home working has been agreed with you & your firm - then everyone knows where they stand. If home working becomes too much then it can be reviewed in your favour.
Please don't feel worried. Its SO easy to feel paranoid & fear "redundancy" when one is in your situation.:hugs:

Fay13
14-02-17, 12:00
Thanks for your replies, they've definitely calmed me down a bit. I've still not been sent this email though, which is really irritating. I just wish I didn't know about it! I'm now reading far too much into the time it's taking them to sort it/for the HR company to approve it. Surely this is not that big of a job??