PDA

View Full Version : anxiety hallucinations or shciz??

Lon
12-02-17, 10:02
Hi. I'm 19, Female
About a month ago I started becoming afraid of developing schizophrenia. This caused me to become hyper-vigilant about hallucinations. They would turn out to be light reflecting on something or shadows, for example on the floor, there was a dent in the carpet and i would always catch it in the corner of my eye. It never bothered me before but i would ALWAYS notice it after the anxiety settled in. (We got new flooring recently so not anymore.)
Anything in my peripheral vision easily grabs my attention as a possible hallucination. And now im seeing pin points of lights that appear for a split second or move in some way. They disappear when I try to look directly at them. Usually they are white but sometimes different colors. On rarer occasions i saw flashes and streaks. I considered detached retinas because I also have floaters but that also causes blurriness and darkness in peripheral vision, but my vision is fine (20/20). I'm still on the line about this.
--
My cognitive functions have not changed in speaking or forming consistent sentences, execution of regular tasks (as in, i dont do much but i have struggled with executive dysfuntion for years), I dont hear voices or experience delusions. I also don't have any extreme paranoia or stuff like that. This puts me at ease only temporarily and each time it's less effective in keeping the fear away.
--
Has anyone here experienced this and turned out to not have shciz or pyschosis?? I know anxiety can cause hallucinations can it be this frequent?

Dave1
12-02-17, 13:11
Hi,
It's funny how anxiety takes particular forms. On this site, I've noticed a few people who specifically fear schizophrenia.

Vision is actually much worse than we think it is because the brain fills in the missing information for us. In short, vision is good in the actual direction we are looking in, for example you can only read looking straight ahead, but then our vision gets progressively blurred and useless towards the edges of our sight. We aren't normally aware of how bad our peripheral vision is because we are so used to turning our head to see. You have become aware of it.

Edit: OK, I've just read why you have the anxiety, because someone in your family has schizophrenia.

Ljj44577
16-02-17, 00:21
I never experience that, but it sounds tough to deal with.

GlassPinata
16-02-17, 00:49
You are aware, I hope, that schizophrenia is extremely rare in females.
My 25 year old son has it; he was diagnosed at 19, while in the military.
It mostly affects males.
That said, see a doctor if you think you might be suffering from it.

Best wishes.