PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Difficulties

NotCool
12-02-17, 15:13
I've had a mix of health anxiety, panic disorder and GAD for quite a few years now, with periods when I thought I was managing it by exercise and reducing general stress.

In the past month everything returned with amplified symptoms. I feel like I have panic and anxiety brewing below the surface of my normalcy most of the time, and every once in a while it will resurface in smaller or bigger portions. This results in horrifying symptoms of which difficulty breathing is the most difficult one to bear with. It would seem like every time my blood pressure goes up, my heart rate dramatically rises, chest tightens and I start getting serious problems breathing.

I tried going on walks again, but every time my heart rate goes up as a result of walking/running, I start getting panic symptoms, and can't breathe. It came to the point where I'm not sure anymore if something is wrong with my lungs/heart/cardiovascular system in general, despite having tests 3 years ago (stress test, holter, ECGs, bloods, and 6 months ago an echocardiogram). I still had a running routine (30 minutes every 2 days) in November, but then winter came and I got lazy, so now I feel completely out of cardio shape.

Anyways: I decided to visit a doctor next week for a general check up. In the meantime, does anyone else have serious chest tightness and breathing difficulties when panic strikes? Does the old advice of breathing exercises help you to calm down? Could there be an underlying problem with my lungs/heart, considering I also have minor degree of Mitral Valve Prolapse and considering that every time my Blood pressure goes up, I start having breathing difficulties? I'm not on any medication or in therapy.

Thanks for potential reading and answers!

lofwyr
12-02-17, 15:48
I could have written your post about ten years ago, even with the mitral valve, which I also have.

So, two things I try to remember that really help me exercise, especially when I am in the throws of panic.

1. Running is (aside from what it does to our knees) a great tool for burning off excess adrenaline. In fact, running is pretty much what anxiety is trying to get our bodies to do. I embrace running, though as I have gotten older (46 now) I am thinking it is time to bicycle, as my knees like it a little more.

2. It is just anxiety. It is not your heart, not your mitral valve prolapse, it is not your lungs giving out, it is just your brain sending you body a fake four alarm fire warning. And your body is doing exactly what it is designed to do...fight or flight. Anxiety passes, and exercise can be a key help in that passing.

3. Also, remember the fact that you really can breath, you have the sensation that you can't, but your body is doing well in spite of what it feels like. At least that is how it was with me. When my anxiety peaked in the worst incident I had with it, I thought I had a lung problem. I was 24 and had every lung test in the world, but even when it felt like I was suffocating, I was getting 99-100% O2 saturation.

I am not saying do not get the check-up, but when you do, and they tell you nothing is wrong but anxiety, try to believe them, and then go for a run. And when you run, try to push through that a little, challenge yourself. Burn off that adrenaline, and use it as a chance to be healthier, not sicker.

Good luck!

montys
12-02-17, 18:53
It's definitely anxiety. Chest tightness and weird feelings near the heart area are two of the most common symptoms of anxiety/panic.

And physical activity and high blood pressure will always have an effect on your heartbeat, and that is 100% natural, normal human body function. Given you're in a recent period of heightened baseline anxiety though, you're subconsciously (and consciously) paying more attention to these sensations.

Find ways to bring your baseline anxiety level down through professional treatment, mindfulness, a healthy lifestyle, etc., and you'll stop noticing these sensations less.

Since you got a doctor's appointment though, put it all out there for him, and specifically address everything you think it might be. That'll get your bases covered, for peace of mind.

Mord
12-02-17, 19:37
You stopped doing exercise so the symptoms become more amplified. You should start again by doing 30 minute jogging per day. It really helps to reduce the aggressive symptoms.

D Ray Morton
12-02-17, 22:54
Hi.

Yes mate my breathing can be all over the place at times and also puts me off exercise. But some great responses here. Im the same I feel I cant breathe its horrible, constant clearing of the throat, coughing and this brings on sheer panic and twitching/shaking. Though Doctor said my breathing is actually fine.

Best advice I can give is ease back into it. Start slow and build it up. Also try swimming 50% as well seems a lot easier on lungs to help build you back to normal

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

I could have written your post about ten years ago, even with the mitral valve, which I also have.

So, two things I try to remember that really help me exercise, especially when I am in the throws of panic.

1. Running is (aside from what it does to our knees) a great tool for burning off excess adrenaline. In fact, running is pretty much what anxiety is trying to get our bodies to do. I embrace running, though as I have gotten older (46 now) I am thinking it is time to bicycle, as my knees like it a little more.

2. It is just anxiety. It is not your heart, not your mitral valve prolapse, it is not your lungs giving out, it is just your brain sending you body a fake four alarm fire warning. And your body is doing exactly what it is designed to do...fight or flight. Anxiety passes, and exercise can be a key help in that passing.

3. Also, remember the fact that you really can breath, you have the sensation that you can't, but your body is doing well in spite of what it feels like. At least that is how it was with me. When my anxiety peaked in the worst incident I had with it, I thought I had a lung problem. I was 24 and had every lung test in the world, but even when it felt like I was suffocating, I was getting 99-100% O2 saturation.

I am not saying do not get the check-up, but when you do, and they tell you nothing is wrong but anxiety, try to believe them, and then go for a run. And when you run, try to push through that a little, challenge yourself. Burn off that adrenaline, and use it as a chance to be healthier, not sicker.

Good luck!

Very good advice

Shelly15
13-02-17, 23:11
I could of wrote this post, finally someone who can relate to me! I am the same fell like I can't breath all of the time, when I'm walking my chest starts to tighten and it feels like I'm being suffocated then I feel lightheaded/dizzy so I avoid going out. This also happens when I have a hot bath or walk into a hot room, I'm dreading summer time! I've been to the drs and everything is fine and it's put down to anxiety but it's ruining my life

Ethansmom
14-02-17, 19:45
I also could have written this point (as I sit here anxious, and wearing a 24 holtor monitor), which i'm sure is going to show something bad. I always feel out of breath (when anxious AND when climbing stairs). I'm too scared to run- don't want to get palpitations or feel any skipping, yet i'm not really living my life. I had an echocardiogram of my heart this morning and am just waiting for bad news! I pray that we all can get better and I think I will try meds again. The Zoloft did not agree with me, but I need to try something else to feel better.

I feel for you and i'm sorry you are going through this. Just know we are all here to support each other!:winks:

NotCool
18-02-17, 02:17
Thanks for the reassuring comments. It seems I can't handle any kind of stress at all, as anxiety soars up. It's not just health related, it seems to be general. Anyhow, this chest tightness is a new symptoms, and I will never get used to it. I guess the only option is keep nurturing healthy habits (diet, sleep, exercise, reducing stress) and state of mind. I guess some meds could work as well.