PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of cdiff

fbmb
12-02-17, 17:50
So I'm on 10 days of amoxicillin for a bad sinus infection. I'm feeling better. But I am terrified of cdiff. I googled it and read about it and now it's all I can think about. I'm doing everything to prevent it. Eating yogurt and taking probiotics.

Am I blowing this out of proportion? I understand that any antibiotic could cause cdiff but is it uncommon with amoxicillin? I have taken it many times before with no problems.

I have the flu as well, but I'm about over that. I worry my immune system is weak and that will cause the cdiff :(

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

I'm on 875 mg twice a day

StephA
12-02-17, 19:11
I've had C Diff three times. It's hard to say if Amoxicillin will cause it or not. I used to never have problems with antibiotics until it happened, BUT I had been in the hospital one night after a double mastectomy. They gave me Clindamycin in my IV and sent Cipro home with me for ten days. Those two are very high C Diff offenders. You'll know it if it happens. Trust me! Unless you start having watery diarrhea with mucus and most likely blood then don't worry!

fbmb
12-02-17, 19:24
I've had C Diff three times. It's hard to say if Amoxicillin will cause it or not. I used to never have problems with antibiotics until it happened, BUT I had been in the hospital one night after a double mastectomy. They gave me Clindamycin in my IV and sent Cipro home with me for ten days. Those two are very high C Diff offenders. You'll know it if it happens. Trust me! Unless you start having watery diarrhea with mucus and most likely blood then don't worry!

When did you start having symptoms? I read it can come on even 10 weeks after antibiotics. My stomach isn't the best but I k ow that's also normal with amoxicillin and doesn't mean cdiff. Had you ever taken those drugs before?

Ultimatejourney
12-02-17, 20:55
According to WebMD "Although C. diff occasionally causes problems in healthy people, it is most likely to affect patients in hospitals or long-term care facilities. Most have conditions that require long-term treatment with antibiotics, which kill off other intestinal bacteria that keep C. diff in check. While use of any antibiotic can potentially lead to C. diff overgrowth, it most commonly occurs with the use of an antibiotic that is broad-spectrum, or able to kill a wide variety of bacteria. It also happens more often when multiple antibiotics are needed to fight infection and when the antibiotics need to be taken for a long period of time."
Since you're only taking it for 10 days, and I assume you aren't in the hospital, then your risk is probably very, very, very low.

fbmb
12-02-17, 22:11
According to WebMD "Although C. diff occasionally causes problems in healthy people, it is most likely to affect patients in hospitals or long-term care facilities. Most have conditions that require long-term treatment with antibiotics, which kill off other intestinal bacteria that keep C. diff in check. While use of any antibiotic can potentially lead to C. diff overgrowth, it most commonly occurs with the use of an antibiotic that is broad-spectrum, or able to kill a wide variety of bacteria. It also happens more often when multiple antibiotics are needed to fight infection and when the antibiotics need to be taken for a long period of time."
Since you're only taking it for 10 days, and I assume you aren't in the hospital, then your risk is probably very, very, very low.

I was in there because of a panic attack 4 hours after taking the first dose. I was only there for about 2 hours. Do you think that's ok? I did use their toilet but washed my hands thoroughly, and the nurse brought me water....

Ultimatejourney
13-02-17, 18:58
I was in there because of a panic attack 4 hours after taking the first dose. I was only there for about 2 hours. Do you think that's ok? I did use their toilet but washed my hands thoroughly, and the nurse brought me water....

You're fine.
Most of these cases probably come from people who are immunocompromised and have been on ivs, catheters, etc for a long time as well.