PDA

View Full Version : Question about Propranolol

helenclaire
13-02-17, 07:24
Not sure where to post this but I have just been prescribed propranolol to help symptoms of anxiety.
However the pharmacist told me when I collected them that they can lower blood pressure and make you light headed.
Unfortunately lightheadedness/dizziness is my main symptom and the one I worry about the most so now I am worried about taking it.
Has anybody experienced symptoms from taking this.

Annie0904
13-02-17, 08:18
I have naturally low blood pressure so was concerned about this too. At first I was prescribed 45mg and it made me feel worse. Now I have 10mg and I am fine with it.

helenclaire
13-02-17, 08:59
I have been prescribed 40mg once a day to start then increase to 2 a day and if needed then I can take 3.
That seems to be quite a high dose.
I need something to help the symptoms but am scared this will make them worse.:shrug:

Annie0904
13-02-17, 09:21
Do you know what your usual BP is? Mine averages about 80/60 (without propranolol). If your BP is low and that is the cause of your dizziness then maybe you need a lower dose. If you have an average BP then your dizziness/lightheaded might just be a symptom of anxiety which the propranolol may help with.
40 mg one a day isn't very much. I take 3 x 10mg. This dose has not affected my BP.

Carrie8484
13-02-17, 10:39
I have low BP and have an rx for propanolol, I've taken it on and off for many years. I also suffer with dizziness from anxiety and migraine attacks and vertigo. I find the best way for me to take propanolol is a low dose e.g. 10mg 3 times a day. I would go back to your GP and tell them about your concerns as that's what I did and the GP was understanding about it x

helenclaire
13-02-17, 10:55
Thank you for replies,

My BP is usually normal sometimes a bit high, so don't think that should be a problem, I just worry about side affects making me dizzy, I am hoping the propranolol will help that.
I just need to find the courage to take it!!
:wacko:

Annie0904
13-02-17, 12:02
If your BP is fine I would just take it. I am very sensitive to most meds but have had no side effects from propranolol.

Kuatir
13-02-17, 12:43
My main symptom was dizziness. Propranolol 40mg twice a day was good for me. My BP tends to be the higher side of a good BP.

PASchoolSyndrome
13-02-17, 13:43
Propranolol has a side effect of dizziness because it can lower your blood pressure.

You're dizziness is from you heart rate and anxiety. The dizziness is from two different mechanisms! You should be fine but always consult your doctor with concerns!

helenclaire
13-02-17, 15:06
Thank you for your replies,

I am going to start taking it tomorrow.
The way I feel at the moment with the horrible symptoms I cant see it can make me feel much worse and hopefully it will make me feel better.
Thank you for reassuring me. :)
I just wanted to add is there a good time of the day to take it. i.e morning, evening or doesn't it matter?

Annie0904
13-02-17, 15:10
I don't really think it matters but I would take it on a morning as that is when my anxiety is the highest.

Kuatir
13-02-17, 17:01
I started on 2 a day. I'd take it first thing in the morning and then 12 hours later. Now I just pop one on the occasion the anxiety is really kicking my arse. So I'd say start in the morning so you get the benefit while you are awake.