PDA

View Full Version : Morning butterflies

Marion Ghad
13-02-17, 15:13
Hi - I'm recovered from depression but still have the "morning" anxiety I had before the depression - as soon as I wake I get the low feelings + the old butterflies in stomach, even sometimes feeling adrenalin coursing through. This happens virtually every morning in spite of nothing to specifically worry about. This goes as soon as get up - & I know it's important to get up soon after waking - but if you wake 5 or 6 am with the churning stomach & don't have to get up till 7/8 is dilemma - are there any tips in stopping churning in tracks?

beatroon
15-02-17, 18:25
Hi Marion,

I also found that after a depression, the morning anxiety took a while to settle. I think it's just your physiology: perhaps the nervous system just needs time to calm down after such a stressful period! And cortisol (stress hormones) are supposed to spike in the morning, aren't they, which is why it's meant to be worse at that time. I found that it went away with the right treatment, resolution to the stress and good self-care.

It's absolutely horrible though, lying there with your body humming, tired and stressed out! One thing that helped me was podcasts or audio-books - at least they provide a bit of distraction as you drift in and out. Other suggestions included not having a really shrill alarm, or getting hold of one of those alarm clocks that wakes you up gradually by mimicking daylight - the idea is that you don't jolt awake. Someone else suggested making sure that you have a snack by your bedside, so that you eat something as soon as you wake at 6am, thus giving you better blood sugar control.

Good luck! it's distressing but you will be OK: as my CBT therapist once said, if you're getting 45 minutes of sleep a night, you won't die!

Fear-Not
28-02-17, 11:48
Totally sympathise with you Marion - mornings are terrible! And I know what you mean about the anxiety starting so early that its not time to get up - but then you just lie awake beating off demons!! I think what Beatroon said about the relaxation tapes AND the light are good suggestions! Both have worked for me as does saying a simple mantra to yourself "All is Well, All is Well, All is Well" - something like that to distract your thoughts. Ive never believed in having a TV in my bedroom but I am thinking of getting one just so that I can have old favourites playing in the background - something cheery like Friends. xx

MOchp
28-02-17, 15:29
Yeah if I am in a period of bad anxiety, it seems to be worse in the morning. I've heard it from other people as well so it seems to be pretty common.