PDA

View Full Version : The Tao Of Pooh And The Te Of Piglet

Sax
19-04-07, 11:55
HIYA GUYS,:shrug:

I REALLY CAN'T REMEMBER IF I HAVE RECOMMENDED THIS BOOK BEFORE BUT IN CASE I HAVEN'T I'LL TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT AGAIN.

CALLED 'THE TAO OF POOH AND THE TE OF PIGLET' BY BENJAMIN HOFF

SYNOPSIS
"POOH HAS A CERTAIN WAY OF DOING THINGS WHICH AS BENJAMIN HOFF BRILLIANTLY DEMONSTRATES. SEEMS STRANGELY CLOSE TO THE ANCIENT PRINCIPLES OF TAOIST PHILOSOPHY. IN TAOISM, AS WAY OF LIVING IN HARMONY WITH TAO. THE WAY OF THE UNIVERSE. THERE IS A PARTICULAR WAY OF APPRECIATING AND LEARNING FROM WHATEVER HAPPENS IN EVERYDAY LIFE. THIS IS JUST THE WAY POOH LIVES, IN HARMONY WITH LIFE IN THE HUNDRED ACRE WOOD."

THE TAO OF POOH AND THE TE OF PIGLET IS UNIVERSALLY ACKNOWLEDGED AS ONE OF THE TOP TEN INFLUENTIAL MIND BODY AND SPIRIT BOOKS PAST AND PRESENT.

ITS A REALLY EASY READ AND MAKES YOU THINK SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. HAS ANYONE ELSE READ IT?? WOULD BE SO INTERESTED FOR YOU INPUT IF SO.:yesyes:

Piglet
19-04-07, 13:09
Well you might know that I totally agree :winks: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: .

Piglet :flowers:

Paddington
19-04-07, 13:25
Yep,i asked Piglet if she had read this when i first joined:) i havent read it myself yet:blush: but would like to get it.I havent seen it anywhere tho!:shrug: I must add a book too..Jonathan Livingstone seagull...about overcoming fear really!It's short sweet and wonderful,fits in a bag too..Richard bach is the writer:flowers: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

darkangel
19-04-07, 13:33
Quite agree - its a fantastic book although its been a few years since Ive read it - I may get it out again from the library.

Another similar type of book is Jumping Mouse by Mary Elizabeth Marlow - very easy to read but has so many deep and powerful underlyings too. Its a story about inner trust and entwines the tale of a little mouse's journey and guides us to be able to trust ourselves. Bought it on ebay for 1p. It had a write up in the Psychologies magazine - well worth a read.

Take care everyone
Darkangel :flowers:

bearcrazy
19-04-07, 20:07
Hi,

nearly picked this up for my holiday reading in Malta. Definitely will be on my next shopping list!

Thanx:yesyes:

happyone
19-04-07, 22:29
Well.........................
I bought it but I don't know if it is me because I have real problems with reading just now but I can't get past chapter one!
It all seems a bit too simplistic. It is almost as though (please piglet, don't hate me!!!) it is saying that if we live our lives like we have had a lobotomy, then we will be ok.
please, please, please (you get the message?) understand, I am MORE than welcome for people to tell me I am wrong, as I have said I haven't read beyond the first chapter. In fact.....if anyone can prompt me to read anything completely I will seek out your house and kiss you on both cheeks, as I miss reading soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!
Happyone
xx

Sax
20-04-07, 10:32
Hiya Happyone,

I understand what you are saying and to 'get it' i feel u do have to be in the right frame of mind. Its all about not beating yourself up for the past in my opinion and accepting what IS now and learning to live with it. I dunno I'm sure people can take different aspects of the book but I do recommend u try and read a little more (in short bursts).
The Cottleston Pie chapter for example tells us how we are unique and beautiful and its our inner nature which makes us such.
quote:
"A fly can't bird but a bird can fly"
Very simple. Its obvious isn't it? And yet, you'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear realitity that Things Are As they are.

Here I beleive its saying try not to fight what IS and learn to accept and live with this whatever it is. Not trying to make things change more acceptance and learning to think differently to make things not as complicated as we do.

Its not everyones cup of tea Happy but I am recommending it cos I believe depression and anxiety has so much to do with how we think and see our situations that maybe something can come of thinking a little differently and not being so hard on ourselves.

Thank you for your input, very interesting.

love Sax

darkangel
20-04-07, 10:54
happyone

I think when we begin to read these type of books, it is so different to what we have maybe read before and can seem strange . Sometimes we dont want to believe the simple message the book is protraying so all I can say is pick the book up, keep an open mind and see where the journey takes you.

It did take me a while before I "got the meaning" of these type of books and was able to appreciate and accept it as in the beginning I just wasnt in the right mindset - maybe its just not the right time for you just now and thats ok.

Leave it for a few days then start afresh and see where it takes you.

Luv Darkangel

happyone
20-04-07, 17:29
well,
I think what you say about mindset makes sense angel. I love reading anything and everything. Generally it doesn't matter whether I agree with a concept or not, I just love finding out about other people, other ideas etc.

However, this bleeding depression, one of my main symptoms is an inability to concentrate leaving me unable to enjoy books/reading as the words swim in my head or everything seems too trivial to me somehow (that will be my self centredness:blush:) This frustrates me so much that I am now tending to view books with anger and distaste as they are a source of frustration for me. I think the day I can pick up a book and enjoy it will be me feeling that I am indeed on the road to recovery.

I have the book (in my bathroom:blush: ) and I will try again to get into it. funny I even mentioned it to my counsellor and they said 'Oh thats a good one!'

I will keep on trying Sax. I do think that if I was able to live more in the here and now and give myself less of a hard time for past regrets, then I would be a happier person. Acceptance of what is, is certainly a state that I would like to achieve.

thanks
happyone
x

Piglet
20-04-07, 17:54
I will keep on trying Sax. I do think that if I was able to live more in the here and now and give myself less of a hard time for past regrets, then I would be a happier person.

Being aware that the concept exists is half way to being there hun - as Louise Hay often says 'we will learn what we need to at exactly the right time we need to', or something along those lines.:D

When you are ready to pick up and enjoy a book then you will do so - meanwhile punish yourself not my little potato cake as there is much to be taken from many other sources.

A lovely walk down a country lane, swinging hands with a small child, collecting blackberries can all remind us of the here and now. Finding pleasure in the simpliest of things can be a real ray of sunshine after dark days!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

happyone
20-04-07, 18:49
I do think I might be getting there Piglet. I have found myself doing or saying things recently that are most unlike me.
'I'll worry about that later if I have to' or
'that was then this is now'
I think I might be getting there slowly hun! I never have bought that book you recommended to me. I'll have to look at my old thread and see what it was again.

That line of Louise Hay's that you quoted sounds good. It puts less pressure on the learning aspect of it. I do give myself a hard time if I don't understand something right away as I like to think of myself as fairly clever (happy struggles to get out of door with her head the size it is!!!!)

Sorry for invading your thread there sax!

happyone
xx

Sax
20-04-07, 19:06
:yesyes: :yesyes: Hey happy, u ain't invading the thread just adding really apt discussion. I think as Piglet says (as she is soooooooooo wise even though I promise not to call you a potato cake Happy) that the right frame is the key and enjoyment and not being cross at not being able to read it. Find the right moment and if it never arises you weren't meant to read it!!! Simple huh!!! Pooh like even!!!

Thank you all for your input :hugs:

love Sax xx

happyone
20-04-07, 21:11
Well sax hunny!
Something is working for me even if Pooh isn't! Filled with inspiration (coupled with a desire to read!) I have gone and ordered shannon Duncans book Present Moment Awareness that Piglet recommended to me ages ago. I think there might be similarities in the concept?

(as she is soooooooooo wise even though I promise not to call you a potato cake Happy) I just love Piglets terms of endearment! I can truelly say I have NEVER been called a potato cake in my life until then! I am so used to the names Piglet gives people I hadn't even noticed it until you pointed it out out LOL! I was thinking "why is Sax going on about potato cakes?" until I read back!
Makes a change from Baldrick Piglet hun! (although I like that as I quite like Baldrick!)

Happyone
xx

Piglet
21-04-07, 00:20
You know I'm almost incapable of not adding some ridiculous bits of nonsense to everything I say - I call one of the piglets boyfriends 'twinkle toes' and he is 6ft 4.:ohmy:

Anyway we are digressing - I'm glad you ordered that book Happy and it is the sort you can pick up and put down very easily.

It does occur to me that if you liked that quote or misquote that I did by Louise Hay then I think you would like her cards, as that quote came off those.

When your mind can't settle to a book it might much more easily hold onto a meaningful statement if it's on a card, specially cos the artwork she uses is really funky!! They are like the size of a coaster and come in a nice box. I look at mine most days and keep really good ones in my handbag or by the side of my bed etc. Very uplifting!!!

www.holisticshop.co.uk (http://www.holisticshop.co.uk)

Have a look at the inner development cards and divination cards on the above site - I have her 'wisdom cards' and her 'I can do it cards'.

Piglet :flowers:

eastender
21-04-07, 01:30
Finding pleasure in the simpliest of things can be a real ray of sunshine after dark days!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

Oh how true that is, so much more important than all the grand plans and schemes, find pleasure in the simple things and happiness can't be far away!

I'm doing my best to achive this and never take them for granted again.

happyone
21-04-07, 10:17
I'm going to order them later too Piglet. You did recommend them ages ago, but my concentration was away to pot.
I had a look on the site, they are nice. It is trying to decide which ones to get though!
Did you say you had read a book on mindfulness? Or is that the Shannon Duncan book?
Happyone
xx

darkangel
21-04-07, 11:53
Hi Happyone
Like Piglet, I too carry inspirational cards on me and am learning to cherish special moments - Im so moved by simple things that I wouldnt even have given much thought to before such as wonderful sunsets and the other day as I walked along the canal, I was mesmerised by a flock of swans flying overhead before they all came to land gracefully in the water. Its nice to remove yourself from lives worries and just be in the moment with nature.

A mindfulness book I would recommend is "A Gradual Awakening" by Stephen Levine and a quote I particularly like is " If fear or wanting arises, it is seen within the spaciousness that surrounds it. Don't get lost by becoming it, but simply see it as just another moment in the mind flow, another something which arose uninvited and will pass in the same manner".

Take care everyone

Luv Darkangel x

Piglet
21-04-07, 12:00
The Shannon Duncan book is the easiest I've read on Mindfulness.

I do have a couple of funky books on this sort of thing too that are very light hearted by Karen Salmansohn called 'How to be Happy Dammit' and 'How to change your entire life by doing absolutely nothing'!!

In the 'How to be happy' book there are lessons with fun colour pictures like 'Lesson 6 - Never go shopping for kiwis in a shoe store: Some people just don't have what you need. So why waste time banging on their doors, ringing their bells, demanding service?'.......and
Lesson 11 - If you keep doing what you've been doing, then you'll keep getting what you've always been getting, ie: change some habits!!

I love all this stuff and keep pushing it all in my head with the hope that all the good stuff will eventually overtake the bad stuff and squash it all right out!! :yesyes:

Piglet