PDA

View Full Version : Colorectal surgery consult friday- very anxious tmi

Capercrohnj
13-02-17, 18:19
I have 3 external holes (3 tracts from an ano-vaginal fistula) caused by Crohn's disease. I have had these for 2 years and they are ruining my life. I have been wanting surgery for a long time and finally got the call today for an appointment Friday. Everyone who has seen them (GI, er Dr) agrees that I definitely need surgery and probably a temp ileostomy. I was looking forward to getting this appointment but now I am terrified and my anxiety is through the roof. I'm scared that the surgeon will look at the scans, etc and say that there's nothing he can do and I'm also afraid of the actual surgery (dying during it, it not working, fistulas not healing). Is it normal to be so anxious about something you desperately want? The actual surgery won't be anytime soon as he has tons of cancer patients but still terrified!

Annie0904
13-02-17, 18:50
I think it is normal for anyone to be anxious about surgery but you just have to try to focus on the positives that it is something you need to improve your health. I am going for a colonoscopy on Saturday and I am even very anxious about that.

roseanxiety
14-02-17, 00:52
Try to keep in mind that it is only a consult and nothing scary will happen. He may order more tests or he may say you are eligible for the surgery. Good luck to you. I totally understand your anxiety.

Capercrohnj
17-02-17, 20:00
So appointment went fine. A little shocking as he is going to remove my colon and rectum and put a permanent ileostomy in but at least that way my higher than average risk of colorectal cancer as Crohn's raises it a lot drops to zero! It's scary but I feel like I'll finally have my life back.