PDA

View Full Version : Lightning bolt across vision.

montys
14-02-17, 02:07
I've been obsessed with retinal detachment for about two weeks now. I've recently been able to manage it somewhat after noticing that after two weeks of worrying, literally nothing has changed in my vision.

Today though, I saw what I can only describe as a lightning bolt across the left side of my vision. It snaked from left to right for a split second.

It has only happened once (about half an hour ago), but given my recent anxiety re: eye phenomena, I've been really bothered by it.

Whether or not it even happened is dubious, honestly. I saw it when I was staring at a bright screen for minutes uninterrupted and then glanced to the side, so it might have been an afterimage.

Has anyone else dealt with this though? I'm kind of shaky right now. Any personal experience or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Vites987
14-02-17, 02:34
Any loss of vision? Ex. A curtain going over your eyesight?

montys
14-02-17, 03:17
Nah, just this one weird thing, and some visual snow that I get from time to time. None of the other symptoms of detachment so far. I've actually calmed down a bit--I figure it's just the hypochondria doing its work.

NancyW
14-02-17, 03:55
How old are you?

I have something called vitreous detachment, it's a normal part of aging eyes.

I get the flash of light, or a lightening bolt for a split second.

I had it checked several times by an Opthamologist - retna specilist.

If the flash increases, becomes constant or I have Sensation of a black shade across my eye, I have to go in immediately, day or night.

Our eyes are precious, please consider going to an Opthamologist for a check up.

montys
14-02-17, 04:04
I'm 21, but I have myopia so I'm at risk for detachment. I went to an ophthalmologist recently for a check-up, and he mentioned looking out for these symptoms. Mix that warning with a sudden bout of hypochondria, and cue the constant fear of retinal detachment that I experience now.

swajj
14-02-17, 07:30
I would get it checked. I have obsessed over my eyes but I never saw anything like lightning bolts.

Annie0904
14-02-17, 13:42
I get lightning flashes across my eyes especially when doing close up work. I had them checked and it is something to do with the channel below the coloured part of my eye being slightly too narrow. I use eye drops (artificial tears) to keep them from getting too dry and it helps.

montys
14-02-17, 15:25
I get lightening flashes across my eyes especially when doing close up work. I had them checked and it is something to do with the channel below the coloured part of my eye being slightly too narrow. I use eye drops (artificial tears) to keep them from getting too dry and it helps.

That's really good to know. I'll talk to my ophthalmologist about artificial tears the next time I see him.

stucoo
14-02-17, 17:38
I get this sometimes (a zigzag across my vision) lasts for abut half an hour usually. I was told by an optician that it is an optical migraine. Nothing to worry about.

SwedishGirl
14-02-17, 18:54
I also get this zigzag on one side of my vision for about 20 minutes and a sensitivity to light. It is the precurser to a migraine. Some people never get the headache just the visual disturbance.

It is probably nothing to worry about Montys but as others have said get yourself checked out by an eye doctor just in case.