PDA

View Full Version : Major panic from carbon monoxide

Worrygirl32
14-02-17, 11:18
So we just moved into a new place with a garage ny husband this morning started the car the cAme back inside to grab something. I immediately freaked and he was very nonchalant not understanding what the big deal was. He did open the garage door but that is still very dangerous from what I have read. It was maybe a few minutes. But still!!! That's all it takes. I let the garage door air out. But I'm seriously having a major panic attack right now. I haven't told him it's freaking me out. But I think I will have to. Luckily nothing happens this time around so I know not to worry. But I can't stop freaking out. I even opened some windows around the house. Can someone calm me down please.

Kuatir
14-02-17, 11:22
That is not a dangerous situation.

Worrygirl32
14-02-17, 11:26
I read online that 2 minutes with car running in the garage emits dangerous levels of carbon monoxide

NancyW
14-02-17, 12:10
I warm my car up in the garage with the door open every day... for the 32 years we've lived in our house.

Did I miss understand what's got you worried?

Worrygirl32
14-02-17, 12:13
Well I read that doing that is actually extremely dangerous. Also we don't live in a house it's a duplex. So it isn't very big. I worried that carbon monoxide could travel inside and poison us. I literally opened every window in the house. Idk why carbon monoxide is a trigger for me.

Kuatir
14-02-17, 12:14
The garage door was open. Nothing to worry about.

Gary A
14-02-17, 12:41
Well I read that doing that is actually extremely dangerous. Also we don't live in a house it's a duplex. So it isn't very big. I worried that carbon monoxide could travel inside and poison us. I literally opened every window in the house. Idk why carbon monoxide is a trigger for me.

Carbon monoxide must have at least 200 parts per million in the atmosphere to become dangerous to humans. You also must be exposed to that level for a very long time period.

When you opened the door, any carbon monoxide in the atmosphere was instantly diluted by fresh air. Same goes for when you opened the door to your house.

I studied CO poisoning as part of my job, trust me, the levels you've been exposed to (if any at all) are in no way dangerous.

Worrygirl32
14-02-17, 16:56
Thank you Gary, that really helps put things in perspective and put my mind at ease.