PDA

View Full Version : Neurological Symptoms

stucoo
14-02-17, 11:26
Hi,

I haven't posted on here for a long time as I have been feeling fine. However, since October of last year I have been suffering from what I would describe as neurological symptoms. These include twitching, buzzing/vibrating, tingling, sore skin feeling, hot/cold sensations, aching joints & weak legs . The sensations in the main affect my legs but do move about and come and go, but I always have a symptom every day.

I have been to my GP many times, seen a neurologist and had a MRI scan of my brain and brain. The MRI scan came back clear the the consultant spoke a chemical imbalance and for me to come back in 6 months. I am constantly worried about my health, could it be MS, cancer, MND or some other incurable debilitating illness that is casing these symptoms.

I had a similar episode in 2005 that lasted 16 months and it eventually faded away (it was a very dark period of my life) but that is the only thing keeping me going. I am feeling depressed as well as I'm not getting better or have a diagnosis. The GP has recommended mindfulness, but my body feels hyper alert and I feel I am waiting for a serious decline.

Anyone experience of this?

Thanks,

Stuart

Colicab85
14-02-17, 12:38
Ive been in a similar state since April last year.

It's way more manageable than it was at its worst now which is giving me hope.

But yes, I can definitely relate. Headaches, shaking, twitching and a variety of other strange things for nearly a year now.

SoraStar
14-02-17, 15:11
Hi,

I haven't posted on here for a long time as I have been feeling fine. However, since October of last year I have been suffering from what I would describe as neurological symptoms. These include twitching, buzzing/vibrating, tingling, sore skin feeling, hot/cold sensations, aching joints & weak legs . The sensations in the main affect my legs but do move about and come and go, but I always have a symptom every day.

I have been to my GP many times, seen a neurologist and had a MRI scan of my brain and brain. The MRI scan came back clear the the consultant spoke a chemical imbalance and for me to come back in 6 months. I am constantly worried about my health, could it be MS, cancer, MND or some other incurable debilitating illness that is casing these symptoms.

I had a similar episode in 2005 that lasted 16 months and it eventually faded away (it was a very dark period of my life) but that is the only thing keeping me going. I am feeling depressed as well as I'm not getting better or have a diagnosis. The GP has recommended mindfulness, but my body feels hyper alert and I feel I am waiting for a serious decline.

Anyone experience of this?

Thanks,

Stuart

Well honestly, and MRI is super highly detailed and if you had MS or anything else wrong up there the MRI would spot it instantly. So it yours came back clear then I would stop worrying about any thing wrong in your head other than anxiety related things.

I'm having very similar things happen to me too and wish I could get an MRI just to give me some peace of mind.

stucoo
14-02-17, 17:34
Ive been in a similar state since April last year.

It's way more manageable than it was at its worst now which is giving me hope.

But yes, I can definitely relate. Headaches, shaking, twitching and a variety of other strange things for nearly a year now.

Thanks for the reply. Did you get a diagnosis and a reason for the symptoms?

How have you made the symptoms more manageable?

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Well honestly, and MRI is super highly detailed and if you had MS or anything else wrong up there the MRI would spot it instantly. So it yours came back clear then I would stop worrying about any thing wrong in your head other than anxiety related things.

I'm having very similar things happen to me too and wish I could get an MRI just to give me some peace of mind.

Sorry you've not had an MRI. When I got the all clear I expected the symptoms to disappear but they didn't and the anxiety - symptom loop just kept going. It's the usual 'I can't believe all the symptoms are caused by anxiety' thoughts.

SoraStar
14-02-17, 17:57

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Sorry you've not had an MRI. When I got the all clear I expected the symptoms to disappear but they didn't and the anxiety - symptom loop just kept going. It's the usual 'I can't believe all the symptoms are caused by anxiety' thoughts.

Yeah, it's crazy that anxiety can do all that stuff to you. Yeah, a clear MRI isn't a cure to the anxiety but at the very least it lets you know your brain is healthy. It's not the structure of your brain that has the problems its the thought processes and maybe even chemicals going through it that are the real issue.

That's why I need a good anti depressent and anxiety drug..

Mord
14-02-17, 18:04
I have the same symptoms as you and I get them all over my body. I mean every part. I've had this for well over a decade and I thought MS was still a possibility just last month.

Even if we don't know it our bodies are stuck in a 'fight or flight' mode and it's expecting us to do one of the two things. The problem is we don't live in a stone age anymore so while anxiety could have been good back then it's completely outdated now.

Exercise will really help. I'm not saying it will make them disappear but it will help reduce the symptoms. Jogging every day for 30 minutes for a month should make a difference. It has with me although I can still feel the tingling etc. But it's no where as bad. Slow breathing before bed every 10 minutes will help as well but not as much as exercise in my case.

I think to truly get rid of neurological symptoms you need to train your brain of never clinging on negative thoughts. So that's where CBT comes in. But this could take a year and even then it's going to be very hard to get our mind use to this new line of thinking. I haven't completed this stage yet but I'm trying.

Colicab85
15-02-17, 07:18

I did, both neurologists and general GPS have told me everything I am experiencing is down to anxiety and depression. For a while it was very hard to believe them, and on some days still I have trouble accepting it. On the whole though, I am much much better.

stopping googling is the first thing I would do. It does nothing but fuel you fire. I have all but stopped googling completely and I don't think it's any accident that I've felt a lot better. Also, getting a good therapist really helps.

Accepting that, even if you're doubtful, that it MIGHT be Anxiety is a good first step. Over time I've become a lot more rational about it all.