PDA

View Full Version : Scared about having a panic attack

winnie
19-04-07, 13:45
Looking for any advice. I have my boyfriends family coming to stay with us for the weekend and I'm really nervous that I might freak out when they are here. If I am uncomfortable in a situation I get very anxious, my heart races and I get very hot and just want to get out of the situation. I have never met them before and I'm so worried about being with them for the whole weekend and not being able to handle it. I don't want to make a fool of myself and get upset in front of them.

Paddington
19-04-07, 13:52
Hi hun..here is my advice...always have a get out clause!!Have you a garden?A cool bedroom with an open window??Any thing to be your bolt hole?I have found as long as i have a sense of escape i dont get panicky:) Also try not to think about it so much,the 'what if's' drive us toward the 'oh my gods'!!!Visualise a calm pleasent time ..see yourself laughing and enjoying it all.It is so easy for us to concentrate on the negative hun,i know..the fear of fear is the thing to let go of here..Hereif you need a chat..have a wonderful time hun.Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

winnie
19-04-07, 14:04
Thanks Paddy you make alot of sense. I have been trying to be positive and look forward to it, but now its getting closer I am started to doubt myself. I really want to get through it and I will be so pleased if I do. I know its all in my head, a few years ago I wouldn't have worried about this sort of thing at all, but now its like I've trained my mind to panic.

Do you suffer with anxiety?

Paddington
19-04-07, 14:10
Oh my dear Winnie,i do suffer,and have for years hun:wacko: tht's how i know these stratagies work!!They do i promise:) we get ourselves in such a state at the THOUGHT of something that the reality gets blurred and then spoilt..i have my good days and bad too,but thanks to this site more good than bad now..please get in touch if you need too hun..believe in yourself Winnie,and find that bolt hole:) it can just be a place in your mind!If we can create bad thought s look how much beauty we can create in our mind too..make yourself a sanctuary in your mind and go there when ever you feel nervy..i have unicorns in mine:flowers: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

winnie
19-04-07, 14:17
Thanks Paddy, its reassuring to know that other people are going through the same and getting through these situations. Its only for a weekend and hopefully on Monday I will be wondering what all the worry was about!!!

prism
19-04-07, 14:20
Hi, the only extra advice i can offer is tomorrow will come and tomorrow will go, the weekend will come and the weekend will go and you will get through it.It may seem like wishing your life away but i find it works well for very anxious events.:)

Paddington
19-04-07, 14:29
Yep,you will hun,think what was i worried about ,and prism is right too,what will be will be!!Then it is over..still it would be lovely for you toenjoy the weekend and have happy memories hun:yesyes: i am sure you will..you have plenty of stratagies to put into play hun:D Love Paddie.xxxx

eeyorelover
19-04-07, 18:41
Hiya hun -
I think let's of us have been in this situation. You don't want to run off and look like your being unsociable but you just can't handle being around people at that very moment. Been there believe me!!!
I always do that good hostess thing.
Would anyone like something to drink?
or
excuse yourself and go into the restroom and splash some water on your face.
Just be sure to towel off a little - I came out once looking like I had been trying to drown myself - LOL

You'll be just fine - just remember to breathe correctly and don't sweat the little things!!!
xxx
Sandy

neptuno
19-04-07, 18:50
Hello Winnie !
You have so many friends here rooting for you ! Remember, anxiety makes us worry and panic about stuff that invariably never happens. I find planning these family get-togethers very stressful - I waste all my energies getting worked up about it and always end up having a great time. So will you.
Have fun and be kind to yourself.

Wenjoy
19-04-07, 20:09
I am the same - my kids brought their new partners home the other day and I felt so anxious I couldnt breathe but I just was witty and prattled about in the kitchne offering drinks etc and laughing at my own joikes - must have seemed weird but it broke the ice and in the end I was fine and it all went well. I think being scared of a PA is worse than the PA in some ways. Wenjoy x

Daniel S
19-04-07, 20:32
I find the fear of the fear is always worse than the fear as it stops me doing the things I enjoy. Rationally a panic attack never lasts more than an hour whereas you can spend days working yourself up into a frenzy. Good luck with the weekend.
Dan.