PDA

View Full Version : been perscribed trazadone

susie
14-02-17, 13:14
hi my psyciatrist has just rang me to say he wants me to go on trazadone for my anxiety ,can anyone tell me what these are please and do they take a few weeks to work im a bit worried thanks:)

panic_down_under
14-02-17, 22:37
hi my psyciatrist has just rang me to say he wants me to go on trazadone for my anxiety ,can anyone tell me what these are please and do they take a few weeks to work im a bit worried thanks:)

Trazodone is a, imho, much underused antidepressant which usually produces less side-effects than SSRIs, SNRIs and TCAs. Unlike most antidepressants, sexual dysfunction is not usually an issue. Indeed, trazodone often enhances the libido.

Usually the main side-effect is sedation. In fact these days trazodone is mostly prescribed in small doses - 25-75mg - for SSRI/SNRI induced insomnia. The sedation diminishes as the dose increases and is usually much less of a problem in the typical antidepressant 300-600mg dose range, especially with the new slow-release version of the drug, Oleptro, which is better at maintaining blood plasma levels above the sedation threshold.

You may find Dr Stephen Stahl's (https://www.genomind.com/expertise-page/stephen-m-stahl) "Mechanism of Action of Trazodone: a Multifunctional Drug " (PDF (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.605.7477&rep=rep1&type=pdf)) useful.

susie
15-02-17, 10:33
hi and thank you for your reply,i was on seroxat for 14 years but it was stopped when i went in for surgry .i have tryed several anntidepresants but the side effets were awfull .i do have really bad anxiety and sleep problems i work with a therapist she is great but i am affraid of the side effects of trazadone but i will give them a go they dont sound to bad thank you again:)

panic_down_under
15-02-17, 12:11
i will give them a go they dont sound to bad thank you again

As per my last post, sedation is the main side-effect and it is usually worse at the lowest doses. It should diminish greatly once you're into the therapeutic dose range, especially if you're taking the slow-release formulation. Some also experience orthostatic, aka postural hypertension, a small drop in blood pressure when standing up quickly from sitting or lying down which can produce dizziness, and/or lightheadedness for a few seconds.

Trazodone is only a very weak serotonin reuptake inhibitor so does not usually produce the common initial SSRI/SNRI side-effects.

How much are you taking initially?

susie
15-02-17, 15:30
hi im not sure what dose im starting on i should get my perscription tommorow i will let you know how i get on thanks again