PDA

View Full Version : Never took anti-depressants before been given mirtazapine

lin
15-02-17, 11:30
Hi
Have been given this tablet as my anxiety is quite bad at the moment not slept for 6wks. Was on a sleeping tablet Dr said not to take any more. They didn't work very well anyway. I was reading posts that this tablet isn't good. I want it to be as I want to be able to sleep and help me with this horrible anxiety that is the worst ever. Lost a bit of weight cause of it. Have to take one 15mg at night. Hopefully some people can give a few positive reviews on it. I know most anti depressants are not good but I hope this one helps and that I won't be on it for long. Hope for some feed back on it.

panic_down_under
15-02-17, 20:52
I want it to be as I want to be able to sleep and help me with this horrible anxiety that is the worst ever.

It should definitely help you to sleep. Maybe your doctor wants to see if your anxiety level drop once you're sleeping well.

I know most anti depressants are not good

This is mostly claimed by those who have never been on them. Antidepressants don't work for everyone, but when they do they can make a huge difference to quality of life. But you should also ask your GP about CBT.

SmilingAlbert
15-02-17, 21:48
Hey Lin,

Mirtazapine is often prescribed for people like yourself who also have insomnia as well as depression and/or anxiety. It can be very effective. Take it at night. Should definitely help you to get some good sleep.

There are a lot of people with experience of using it here including myself so keep in touch.

As PDU says, it's best not to listen too much to negative stories - sadly positive stories get told less often as people take the meds, get better and get on with their lives.

Best wishes,

Albert

lin
17-02-17, 15:25
Thanx for that. But taking the tablet is it a natural sleep thou. I feel drowsy in the morning up until midday. I don't want to have to rely on these tablets for the rest of my life. My anxiety has calmed down before taking the tablet only taken 3 so far. I want to be able to go to sleep without any medication.

panic_down_under
17-02-17, 20:41
I want to be able to go to sleep without any medication.

The first step would be to get the anxiety under control. If you don't want to take medication talk to your GP about cognitive behavioural therapy. I understand most NHS trusts pay for some CBT sessions.

Vanilla Sky
17-02-17, 21:21
I took Mirtazapine as my first anti deppressant and the doctor said the main reason she gave it to me was because of my sleeping. Well i slept every night like a baby on them! That was the first step , getting sleep . Then slowly little by little i began to feel better. i was put up a dose and then on them for about 8 months then weaned off.
They suited me well and i hope you have the same experience.xx

SmilingAlbert
17-02-17, 22:24
Thanx for that. But taking the tablet is it a natural sleep thou. I feel drowsy in the morning up until midday.

The AM drowsiness can be a problem - I suggest coffee in the AM (though not after lunchtime as it may impact later on) to help get you going.

I want to be able to go to sleep without any medication.

Yes, that would be ideal. But not being able to sleep for 6 weeks as you say is a sign that you're under major anxiety-induced insomnia. Your doctor has decided (not unreasonably) that you won't be able to function without sleep for such an extended period, and has given you medication to help you in this area.

S/he could have given you sleeping pills, but they really would only ever be a short-term fix. You need help with what causes your insomnia, anxiety, and thus is giving you Mirtazapine.

They are not sleeping pills per se - but if they help your anxiety, they will help your insomnia.

Many people fear drugs and dependency, but it's best to focus on fixing yourself for now and worry less about the future. Take things one day at a time; it sounds like treatment is sensible. One word of warning - Mirt can make you very hungry, so be disciplined in this area or you may put on unwanted weight.

Best wishes,

Albert

lin
18-02-17, 21:49
Thanks so much for the replies. It has eased me a little. The first two tablets helped but not the third one I'm hoping they start to help. Weight wise I will make sure I eat like normal. I have lost weight cause of the anxiety due to a blocked ear which freaked me out big time

Panicer
23-02-17, 19:26
Hi Lin and all

I've just been prescribed mirtazapine today for anxiety as I've been on Fluoxetine/Prozac for about 7 weeks but it doesn't seem to be working.

Taking my first 15mg pill tonight before bed so I'll let you know how I get on.

lin
07-03-17, 14:16
I've been on it for about 3wks helps with my anxiety. Sleep wise I take a 30mg before bed it makes me sleepy and later on I take a 15 which then sends me to sleep. Wish I didn't have to take any of them

Panicer
07-03-17, 16:45
Hi Lin

I've been on the Mirt for 2 weeks now. I've slept like a log each night. Very vivid dreams, dry moth and woolly head until about lunchtime, seem to be the main side effects so far. I expect to get my dose raised int the next week or so but I think they've helped a bit and getting some sleep even if it isn't perfect has really helped :)