PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Phobia Ruining my life

Lanarose
15-02-17, 16:37
I dont know if anyone could offer me some advice and support but Im really struggling at the moment - mainly with my obsessive fear of Cancer. Back in December I had a slight bleed after sex (turned it was thrush lol) but before I was told it was thrush I was so upset, scared and in a blurr of fear worrying about Cervical cancer. I even contacted a private hospital to see if I could have a hysterectomy (they would not do it without a referral and as Im 25 there was no chance of it)

Anyway fast forward and Im now obssessively worrying about breast cancer. I went to the doctor last week about a small rash on my boob (it was a sweat rash) and now I keep worrying I can feel a pulling sensation(no lumps Iv checked). The other night I had an awful nightmare and my mum told me she thought I had terminal cancer :( In the dream I started feeling my left boob and said 'but theres nothing there'. Then I woke up.

I was fine at first until I googled online about dreams can be signs of illness. Im really really scared and upset now that I do have cancer and the dream was a warning sign. Please help Im feeling really awful right now

Dave1
15-02-17, 17:27
You're unlikely to get cancer under the age of 50

beatroon
15-02-17, 18:44
Hi there,

I have been there with the cancer phobia, and about every other illness phobia you care to name, and I am here to tell you: it's all anxiety.

The key to getting on top of this kind of obsessive fear is to level with your GP. Health anxiety is *extremely* common, and once you say to your doctor that you are finding it very difficult and anxious-making thinking you may have cancer, they will be sympathetic and prescribe a course that can actually help you. This may well be CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) which is fantastic for health anxiety as you learn to alter the way you think about things. You might also benefit from some counselling - when mine was really bad I saw a very nice lady who helped me unpick some negative beliefs about illness from my childhood, and once I could see where the health anxiety 'came' from I felt far more free of its power. Anyway, the first step is to see your GP and have a frank chat about it. No need to feel silly - they are used to dealing with this kind of thing - mine once told me that one in two consultations she had for people under 40 was stress-related illness/mental health issues.

So: there is plenty of hope, and you will recover with a bit of mental effort, but you are almost certainly not suffering from the thing that you think you are!

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

I'd also add that dreams are often a response to things we're worried about/obsessing over, but I have never had a dream that could be interpreted as any kind of sign. I'm not a spiritual/religious person, granted, but I think the things we choose to do in our waking hours tell us much more about the world than the junk going through our head when we're asleep!

Lanarose
16-02-17, 10:32
Anyone else have nightmares they have cancer? I looked on Google then read about people who had dreams about it and it turned out to be a warning!!

So anxious now :weep:

axolotl
16-02-17, 11:31
Dreams are not magic, people are not psychic. Seven billion people around the world dream every night and statistically some of those will coincide with real events - it means nothing. Plus the vast of majority of websites about dreams are New Age woo woo nonsense.

In short, sorry you're having nightmares, but they are just dreams.

bin tenn
16-02-17, 13:14
Dreams are not magic, people are not psychic. Seven billion people around the world dream every night and statistically some of those will coincide with real events - it means nothing. Plus the vast of majority of websites about dreams are New Age woo woo nonsense.

In short, sorry you're having nightmares, but they are just dreams.

Agreed! I had many dreams like the OP when my anxiety was at its worst. It hasn't come true yet! :-D

Mav
16-02-17, 13:29
I had a dream that my bloods showed up cancer and I got a phone call home.

They came of perfectly normal and I got no phone call.

I've also had dreams about people turning into snakes, although I have some snakey people in my life, I do doubt sucha think could become true XD

KeeKee
16-02-17, 15:05
I've had dreams that I was getting chemo (a relative had recently had it), they're scary but as others say a dream is a dream.

I understand the worry though but I don't believe dreams are 'warnings', although I did have a creepy one years ago that I often wonder if my body 'knew' but as axolotl says the amount of dreams people have it's inevitable some will actually happen.

Lanarose
17-02-17, 13:52
Thanks everyone for replying. I know deep down its silly to get into such a state but ofcourse now I feel like I have a pain in my breast (in the dream my mum told me I had terminal cancer and I immediately felt for my left breast before saying 'but theres nothing there' before waking up.

However I do have a huge Cancer phobia and was worrying about cancer before I went to bed. I just feel so anxious now that Im going to / have breast cancer :(

axolotl
17-02-17, 15:40
If you're spending your days worrying about something, doesn't it stand to reason you'll spend your nights doing so too? Our thoughts don't make things happen, and our dreams don't predict the future.

ServerError
17-02-17, 15:51
Yeah, there is no such thing as people receiving warnings in their dreams. At least, nothing for which there's any demonstrable evidence. I reckon I've had tonnes of dreams I could link to things that happened to me if I tried, but it doesn't mean the dream actually meant anything.

Lanarose
27-02-17, 13:41
Hi

Im really worried.

Basically I have a MAJOR FEAR of Cancer and Cervical Cancer is one of my big main worries (constantly checking for blood after sex etc.)

Anyway I was diagnosed with a bad case of thrush (tmi I know) which caused a bit of bleeding (I was an anxious worried wreck at the time) anyway it got all sorted and the Dr checked my Cervix in December to put my mind at rest ( I had a clear smear test 2015 and was also tested for high risk HPV which was negative)

Anyway I have started taking Sertraline again and twice now I have wiped myself and there was a bit of pinky blood. I read this can be a side affect. Also I feel sore and itchy so maybe its thrush? Anyone else experience anything like this?

Lanarose
01-03-17, 10:43
So basically I am suffering bad health anxiety with a big fear of cancer. First it was cervical now breast. Im 25 and keep worrying about cancer all the time. It aggravates my OCD badly. I feel like im going to get it and feel like life is not worth living.

Everywhere I look someone seems to be getting breast cancer and im so scared. I had a nightmare that I had cancer in my breast and was terrified it was a sign or warning and I go to bed every night worrying about it and wake up in the night worrying.

Im on Sertraline but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Any advice

swajj
01-03-17, 11:14
See a mental health professional.

BrokenGirl
01-03-17, 12:11
See a mental health professional.

100% agree with this.
You're 25, you should be living and enjoying your life, not spending it worrying constantly.
I'm in the same boat as you, constantly worrying and convinced i have an illness. I've started therapy and even though things aren't going well for me with it, I'm not giving up on it.
I'm going to keep trying until i find a therapist i can connect with and will help me with these issues.
Living with HA is horrible, unbearable at times, but it is treatable.

Get some help to get your life back on track again. You deserve it!!

Lanarose
01-03-17, 14:14
Thank you both, I will try

SLA
01-03-17, 14:43
Do you think it is irrational to think like this?

Lanarose
01-03-17, 15:31
SLA no I dont because I feel Cancer is a legit thing to worry about

SLA
01-03-17, 15:35
So if its a rational fear why do you feel there is a problem?

Lanarose
01-03-17, 15:37
Because Im worrying all the time to the point of exhaustation :(

SLA
01-03-17, 15:39
But its rational worrying.... so?

Or is it not rational... :winks:

Lanarose
01-03-17, 15:47
Its irrational the amount I worry :weep:

Fishmanpa
01-03-17, 15:49
Its irrational the amount I worry :weep:

By saying that you're effectively countered your fear as being legit ;)

Positive thoughts

PASchoolSyndrome
01-03-17, 15:51
100% relate.

Cancer, however, is *relatively* rare. Given your age it's even MORE rare, your risk is extremely low low low. It does happen, so be diligent about your health, but most of the time it doesn't so you need to live your life without fear. If something bad we're going on it will be caught when it presents, so on the low chance of if that happens, you deal with it then.

I have to tell myself this all the time. Yes, cancer is scary. Worrying about it though, if you're living an average lifestyle, is very irrational.

SLA
01-03-17, 15:52
Exactly.

Everyone is a bit afraid of cancer.

But whats worse, worrying about it constantly, and never getting it, or never worrying about it at all and getting it?

The point is that worrying won't change anything.

It just makes life right now really shit.

So... whats the point? Can you do anything about it?

KeeKee
01-03-17, 16:03
But whats worse, worrying about it constantly, and never getting it, or never worrying about it at all and getting it?

I'd genuinely rather live a life in fear and never get it, than get it having never worried.

However I guess it depends on how much you do or don't worry.

PASchoolSyndrome
01-03-17, 16:10
Im the exact opposite. I'd rather live and enjoy my life and come what may. If I were to be diagnosed I'd be more pissed that I spent my time before diagnosis in fear and worry, waste of the one life you get. We're all mortal and surprise! Will die eventually, so do your best to enjoy.

Again, I do have to constantly remind myself this.

And as scary as it is not everything is a death sentence.

Fishmanpa
01-03-17, 16:11

Personally, I think it's WAY worse wasting all that time worrying and it never happening. As a survivor and someone who didn't worry about it. When it happened it sucked BUT... I dealt with it. What other choice do you have? So, you can waste your life worrying about some that might happen or actually live your life and deal with it should it happen.

"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we handle it" Charles Swindoll

Positive thoughts

KeeKee
01-03-17, 16:17
I think my way of looking at it comes from a relative being the latter.

I think it also depends on your level of anxiety, I'd class mine as manageable, it doesn't drastically affect my life (health anxiety that is), so I'd take this over cancer any day.

SLA
01-03-17, 16:23
i'd genuinely rather live a life in fear and never get it, than get it having never worried.

However i guess it depends on how much you do or don't worry.

you don't get to choose!

You might worry all your life and get it!

KeeKee
01-03-17, 16:32
you don't get to choose!

You might worry all your life and get it!

Who said I got to choose? I said I'd rather...

Josh1234
01-03-17, 18:38
I'd genuinely rather live a life in fear and never get it, than get it having never worried.

However I guess it depends on how much you do or don't worry.

Then you aren't really living. I watched my grandfather, 2 days before he died of lung cancer, take my grandma out to a fancy dinner for their anniversary. They laughed, had wine, and when dinner was over, he said "Annie, it's time." She took him to the hospital, he died 48 hours later with everyone by his side. He lived a fuller life than someone who cowers in fear at every turn.

KeeKee
01-03-17, 18:57
My health anxiety doesn't prevent me from 'really living', I've only ever had true, life affecting health anxiety once and it lasted around 3 weeks. Other than that it's a background issue, unless I have a 'real' issue I don't believe I'll ever get that bad again. So for me, I stand by my original statement.

I'll put a spin on SLA's question, would you rather die at 25, from cancer that you never previously worried about, or die at 75 from old age after worrying, but not excessively. There are so many possible ways to look at it.

Lanarose
02-03-17, 11:28
Thanks all

SLA
02-03-17, 11:40
I'll put a spin on SLA's question, would you rather die at 25, from cancer that you never previously worried about, or die at 75 from old age after worrying, but not excessively. There are so many possible ways to look at it.

Thats so ludicrous, and completely missing the point. :D

You do not control any aspect of the situation, OTHER THAN HOW YOU REACT.

So your ACTUAL options are...

Live a life where you constantly worry about cancer, and then do/don't actually get it and have to manage it.

Or live a life where you don't worry about cancer, and then do/don't actually get it and have to manage it.

Worrying will not change things, and will just decrease the quality of your life.

You're worrying now without any reason to.

swajj
02-03-17, 11:58
I wish I had your grandfathers attitude Josh. My mum was much the same.

I understand the OP's fear though. I spent a few years believing I had cancer of one type or another. I once thought I had cancer of the thumb. My psych laughed at me and said he'd never heard of anyone getting thumb cancer. It's so easy to advise people to think rationally. It's not easy to do it though. If it was there would be no need for a forum like this.

I wonder if you can actually get thumb cancer?

SLA
02-03-17, 12:03
Its not about thinking rationally, but identifying irrational thoughts. Which everyone has... all the time, every day.

swajj
02-03-17, 12:08
Yes I agree sla. I guess it's what you do with the irrational thoughts once you identify them that matters.

I have recovered from my HA. It is easy to see now how irrational my thoughts used to be but at the time they didn't seem irrational.

axolotl
02-03-17, 12:24
Worrying about any disease you have no signs of symptoms of is irrational when you think about it. You still have way more chance of not getting it than getting it, and why worry about cancer and not heart disease, or lung disease, or getting run over by a car? It's arbitrary.

Cancer is scary, because it's an awful disease, the treatment is nasty, and it's just common enough that nearly every one of us has some experience of it happening to someone we know. It's totally rational to dread the idea of getting it. What's irrational is having that idea constantly in our minds when we have no need to.

swajj
02-03-17, 12:32
Same as the fear of ALS. Or any other disease that brought you here.

axolotl
02-03-17, 12:46
Same as the fear of ALS. Or any other disease that brought you here.

Well yes, but there is a slight difference between some posters here and others, which are both irrational in their own way. Some people come from a process that goes - my stomach hurts > I'll do a Google > Pancreatic cancer causes stomach ache > I think I have pancreatic cancer. This is the kind of rabbit warren my anxiety's taken me down (though not that specific example), and it doesn't focus on one disease - once one thing gets batted away something else comes along and replaces it.

Others live in fear over the very chance they might get a specific disease. One's about illogically catastrophising blips in your body, one's about a fixation on the very possibility of getting something specific. One's about amateur, anxiety-fuelled medical sleuthing gone wrong and feeding a general panic about unwellness, and one's about a very specific fear where someone almost feels like they've predicted something specific that will go wrong. I'm not saying one's more illogical than the other, just they're slightly different beasts.

KeeKee
02-03-17, 13:23
SLA it was a THEORETICAL question. Jeeeez I'm well aware worrying will not change things.

Danie57
02-03-17, 21:11
I am in the exact same position as you. I get over 1 cancer fear and then another one comes along. Right now for me it's cervical cancer. I'm waiting on smear results and it's taking over my life waiting. �� No advice to give but your. Or on your own.

ErinKC
04-03-17, 20:34
When my health anxiety is bad I know that my worries are irrational, but I can't control them - because I have an anxiety disorder. Original poster - I think you'd benefit a lot from seeing a therapist. It helped me immensely to get my crippling health anxiety under control. Good luck!

swajj
04-03-17, 23:00
Then there are the individuals who fall into both categories. I started off as your pancreatic cancer example and ended up as your latter example. There is nothing rational about HA regardless of how you arrived there.

Lanarose
08-05-17, 11:18
Hello

So basically my health anxiety is bad again and this time its about lung cancer. I quit smoking almost 6 months ago (iv just turned 26) I started smoking at 14 and between that time I quit for 6 months and 8 months.

Before this latest quit I smoked for around 2 years and when I kept trying to quit I chainsmoked to the point I retched.

Since I quit smoking I run regulary, eat fairly well and dont vape or anything. Im just worried I have damaged my lungs beyond repair. I smoked around 15 cigs that last couple of years 20 at the most on a bad day.

Also where I work my boss smokes cigars in the office. He shuts the door and the office is quite well ventilated but its causing me such anxiety. I have told him to stop but he is 70 and does it anyway.

Like I said he shuts his door and we have the windows open but I keep worrying now.

axolotl
08-05-17, 11:23
Also where I work my boss smokes cigars in the office. He shuts the door and the office is quite well ventilated but its causing me such anxiety. I have told him to stop but he is 70 and does it anyway.

Although it's not something to get yourself too anxious about, I would have thought that was illegal in any workplace in the UK and could get him into serious trouble.

siwz991
08-05-17, 12:28
Yeah I was worring about lung cancer as well but I've read somewhere that medicine doesnt know cases when a patient was below age of 37 and got diagnosed with this or something like that xD I was 24 when I had this fear, so I just laghued and forgot about this.

Fishmanpa
08-05-17, 12:35
Congrats on quitting! Each day you remain smoke free, your chances of developing smoke related illnesses diminishes. Within a year your chances of developing heart issues is half of what it was while you were smoking and in 15 years you will have the same risks of developing issues as a non-smoker.

Keep up the good work!

Positive thoughts

Lanarose
08-05-17, 13:27
axolotl

Yes it is illegal but he doesnt learn.

WiredIncorrectly
08-05-17, 13:34
axolotl

He's 70. For most of his life he's been allowed to smoke in his office so it's hard for him to change his ways :) I've met a lot of people like this in the workplace ... and much worse.

I don't know how much of his smoke you're inhaling, or whether it's any worse to the polluted air outside. If it's affecting you I'd have a chat with him, or ask him to move your desk away from the office?

70 y/o and a smoker is impressive though. I don't expect to live to 50, let alone 70.

:winks:

axolotl
08-05-17, 14:12
axolotl

Then you really should look for another job, because if the boss will flout health and safety law so blatantly he's obviously not got the welfare of his workers very high on his priorities, and who knows where else he's breaking the law.

Lanarose
08-05-17, 16:00
I think I will. He is generally a lovely boss to work for and he dosn't do it all the time. I suppose as he is 70 its being used to smoking indoors. However I have just gone in and told me the smell is making me feel sick and could he please stop

axolotl
08-05-17, 16:06
I think I will. He is generally a lovely boss to work for and he dosn't do it all the time. I suppose as he is 70 its being used to smoking indoors. However I have just gone in and told me the smell is making me feel sick and could he please stop

It doesn't matter if he's old and sweet, he's still an employer and has legal responsibilities.

WiredIncorrectly
08-05-17, 16:06

How did he take it?

WiredIncorrectly
08-05-17, 16:20
It doesn't matter if he's old and sweet, he's still an employer and has legal responsibilities.

To an extent I agree because legally he shouldn't do it, but on another note I don't.

If he's smoking in the office with the door closed and the window open then no smoke should leak out of his office. The smoke would leave the room very quickly if it's well ventilated.

There has been a lot of studies on "third hand smoke", which is the chemicals and gasses lingering to clothing. Some could say that even coming into contact with someone who smokes could be bad.

But, how far do you venture down this rabbit hole? The polluted air outside is a significant risk to your health. When you walk through a city with cars passing you by, you're breathing toxic air. House sprays, deodorants, and many beauty products have been said to contain chemicals that could be harmful to the health. Lets not even get onto the topic of the chemicals sprayed onto growing crops, or the stuff they feed to animals to bulk them up. There's far too many factors at play here, and many worse than a guy smoking in his office with the door closed.

I'm not defending his actions, but you have to remember the guy is 70. It's only very recently the law came into play about smoking in public. Expecting an old dog to learn new tricks isn't going to be easy. For most of his life he's done this. He probably sees his employees as trustworthy enough to not cause any legal issues for him. It's wrong to assume he doesn't value his employees if he smokes in a closed, ventilated, room. I'd be willing to bet this happens a lot (a quick Google search confirms it does).

I'd say so long as he isn't putting his workers in danger it's not a major issue.

As an employee you can refuse to enter the office. He knows he's breaking a tiny law, and I doubt he wants to kick up the dirt by firing you, or treating you unfairly.

It's all in the approach. If you word it nicely he will understand I'm sure.

axolotl
08-05-17, 16:37
I'm not defending his actions, but you have to remember the guy is 70. It's only very recently the law came into play about smoking in public. Expecting an old dog to learn new tricks isn't going to be easy.

Very recently?! It's been in force for a decade. There's no excuse for it. He has to follow the same laws as every other employer. What other health and safety legislation or basic employment laws should have a blind eye turned to it because he's "old"?

The situation isn't enough to make the OP panicked health-wise, though, people worked in offices with colleagues smoking like chimneys every single day and LC was still rare. However she should be concerned her boss feels comfortable breaking decade-old employment law with impunity and not caring for the comfort and welfare of employees. If nothing else it's smelly, and obnoxious, and shows a disrespect to employees.

It's an illegal practice and it IS having an impact on her mental health.

WiredIncorrectly
08-05-17, 16:49
Very recently?! It's been in force for a decade. There's no excuse for it. He has to follow the same laws as every other employer. What other health and safety legislation or basic employment laws should have a blind eye turned to it because he's "old"?

The situation isn't enough to make the OP panicked health-wise, though, people worked in offices with colleagues smoking like chimneys every single day and LC was still rare. However she should be concerned her boss feels comfortable breaking decade-old employment law with impunity and not caring for the comfort and welfare of employees. If nothing else it's smelly, and obnoxious, and shows a disrespect to employees.

As I said, from a legal standpoint I completely agree. I am not in anyway trying to justify his actions. What I am saying though is the chances of his actions being harmful to her are insignificant. As I said before, you're breathing in toxins if you drive a car (you're also contributing), or walking by a car.

A lot of things make me mentally ill. Most of them are my irrational brain.

Is it worth kicking up a storm with the boss? The office talks. Word gets around. That can cause even more anxiety to feel segregated from the work community.

All I'm saying to the OP is - health wise - exposed to more toxins by walking/driving to work than they are by the bosses smoking in his ventilated office with the door closed.

But they should totally raise the concern if they are affected by it. Just do so in the correct way to avoid conflict or upset :)

axolotl
08-05-17, 16:52
As I said, from a legal standpoint I completely agree. I am not in anyway trying to justify his actions. What I am saying though is the chances of his actions being harmful to her are insignificant. As I said before, you're breathing in toxins if you drive a car (you're also contributing), or walking by a car.

A lot of things make me mentally ill. Most of them are my irrational brain.

Is it worth kicking up a storm with the boss? The office talks. Word gets around. That can cause even more anxiety to feel segregated from the office community.

All I'm saying to the OP is health wise they are exposed to more toxins by walking/driving to work.

You're not wrong, she'll come to no harm breathing the occasional cigar smoke, as disgusting as it is (up to 10 years ago we breathed in many times more than that every time we went to a pub and we'll all be fine). And workplace confrontation is a very difficult thing. But if the boss is such a inconsiderate cowboy they can't even follow basic employment law? Time to surf the job websites...

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-17, 06:24

Aside from the legal issues of smoking indoors, which he has no excuse for, there is also the fire hazard issue. Long before the smoking law being introduced, employers were shifting away from smoking rooms to outdoor areas for a very good reason.

I don't accept that this is ingrained thinking, he was 60 when it came in just as any other 60 year old was. Do they all refuse to comply with the law? Of course not. Try selling that to a magistrate.

Given the OP says it's not everytime, I'm thinking it's more likely a mix of being busy & taking the chance (like those who work through lunch) and just not being ar5ed to go outside.

He has a responsibility to the health & safety of his employees. He should also be setting an example. I wonder if he has stopped his employees smoking? If he has and continues himself, what does that look like?

Whether the OP chooses to take action or not, I doubt there would be an impact in the wider office community. Whilst some future bosses might dislike an employee who would challenge them, and some smokers may grumble, most employees would hardly complain about someone getting a boss to follow the same rules as them. Quite the opposite.

Lanarose
09-05-17, 10:53
Good he has stopped and has not at all today :)

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Thank you all for your replies :) He has stopped and said he will made a big effort not to at all.

I feel much happier now and just hope the damage from my own previous smoking will go

MyNameIsTerry
10-05-17, 01:04
That's good news! It sounds like he was just chancing it, as some smokers do. As long as he is receptive to change, that's very important. I've worked with smokers who were completely the opposite and felt they were entitled to break rules, hence the company (myself as a manager at the time too) haven't to resort to the rulebook with them.

Lanarose
12-06-17, 12:06
Hi

So im feeling really low at the moment as I constantly worry about getting / having cervical cancer.

Recently I keep getting thrush (Which was confirmed) and when i go for a really long run there has been a spec of blood in my pants (I did have thrush quite badly and my skin had split a little too) but I just makes me worry so much.

I had a smear test 19 months ago which came back fine(it was my first smear) and also had my cervix checked in December I also had the vaccine too.

However I just can't stop worrying. Im fearful of having sex incase it hurts (Which it does because Im so tense) and if there is blood (when there has been its been pinky red when wiping as if my skin has been rubbed too hard. The doctor told me I had a really bad case of thrush but I just keep worrying so much and am fearful of sex and feel like a failure as a girlfriend. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I went for an 8 mile run a few weeks ago and when I got back and wiped myself there was a few red streaks of blood but again. I have thrush which also makes me skin split so I think it was just that rubbing as I have not had it since.

WiredIncorrectly
12-06-17, 14:07
Hey there,

Have you raised this concern with your doctor? Has your doctor explained what the cause could be? I'd probably side with the opinion of your doctor here. You have thrush, so get that treated and then see if your symptoms disappear.

Lanarose
13-06-17, 10:36
Thank you.

Yes I have I just can't stop worrying

Lanarose
28-11-17, 09:17
Hi All

So iv been on the pill on and off for around 11 years. Iv been taking Rigdiveon for 5 years now with no issues. However Iv started worrying about getting a stroke. I got sharp head pains the other day and have started worrying about blood clots. I read about a girl who got a stroke and she mentioned she sometimes took an extra pill. I use to do that a few years ago when my IBS was bad, once taking 3 in one day after having an upset tummy.

Iv booked an appointment for a coil but iv tried to get it before and it hurt so much I had to get the doc to stop.

Basically Im worrying that I wont be able to get the coil and that ill get a blood clot / stroke from the pill.

Eevie
04-12-17, 13:56
Hello,

did you manage to get an appointment regarding the coil

I was on microgynon for years and stopped about 2 years ago as I started getting really scared about blood clots. I recently started again this month and have been put on rigevidon.
Since I have been feeling breathless and have woken up today with a pulling feeling in my left leg when i stand on it or walk and I am petrified I've got a blood clot! I am wondering wether to go to hospital.

Lanarose
04-12-17, 17:00
Hi Hunni

I have an apointment for Saturday but I have my pill review tomorrow. I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. I had that 'pulling feeling' before when i use to get myself anxious. It used to be right behind my Calf.

Chances are if you are worrying / obsessing about symptons they tend to appear.

Eevie
04-12-17, 22:56
Hi lovely,

mine is at the side inner region of my calf, it feels really weird when I brush over the area too or touch it.

I think I'll go to the drs tomorrow and get it checked, it may be something I've done as I was wearing new shoes yesterday so maybe they've done something weird to my leg but it's just freaked me out as I get so anxious about blood clots from the pill and I have been feeling breathless!

xx

stella55
05-12-17, 18:15
Hi,

I know exactly how you feel! I had been adviced to take the pill to treat my acne and hormone imbalance 10 years ago, but I didn't want to start taking it for a very long time, as I knew of the risks it poses. 8 months ago, I finally decided to give it a chance. But I think I will stop taking it soon as it hasn't really helped my acne.
I also sometimes get dizziness attacks, a weird feeling on the left side of my body and overall have many symptoms that could be linked to vascular/blood flow problems. I've had these symptoms before the pill, but every time I freak out, thinking it could be a clot from the pill. It's just too much stress for me. I am a bit angry at my doctor for not having asked me about my health before prescribing these pills.

On the other hand, some women have to take the pill their whole life for health reasons, such as endometriosis. I've talked to such women and asked them whether they are not afraid of the side effects, and they said they'd rather take the risk than have their organs glued together and suffer the pain. So it's anyone's personal choice really. In the end, anyone could get a stroke or a blood clot any day, whether they are taking the pill or not.

As for your worries, if you are taking these pills only for contraceptive reasons, maybe you could switch to another method? I don't really know much about other methods, but maybe they don't pose that much health risks. You should talk to your doctor about this. :)

Lanarose
24-04-18, 15:22
Hello everyone

I am really really struggling at the moment with cancer phobia. The main big worry I have is breast cancer and I am constantly checking my boobs most nights as well as getting my partner and now my mum to check them too.

Im 27 and have been on and off the pill since I was 14 which makes me convinced im at a massive risk of breast cancer.

I use to drink heavily but have been sober for almost 4 years, I quit smoking 17 months ago and I exercise nearly everyday (though my BMI is 29, I am very short and a size 10 - 12 and do lots of weights and cardio although I want to lose more weight)

I went vegan 2 months ago but have now become frightened of certain foods. One minute soy is good for you the next it causes breast cancer which makes me distressed and then I think that I take the pill too so am I at a massive increase risk of getting breast cancer? It doesnt really run in the family although my second cousin had it in her 30's as did her mum and I think my nans sister had it too but that was it.

I have been prescribed clomipramine but i am anxious to take it.

Advice would be appreciated as this dominates my mind constantly, its the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing I think of when I go to sleep.

Carys
24-04-18, 15:57
OK.......as you will be aware, to start with, bc is rare in your age group. Most causes of any breast changes in your 20s are for benign reasons. Of course some people do get it in their 20s, but to be frank with you the 'risk factors' are less important than just damned back luck for many people. Soy, dairy, cruciferous vegetables...etc...all are put forwards with differing advice; don't drink, do this do that. There are lots of articles online about foods, lifestyle choices, weight, and any manner of things designed to make you question things and worry. I've known healthy, perfect BMI, active women with no risk factors get it too. I tell you these things not to worry you, but to tell you not to worry about all those risks that the online world throws your way. You can drive yourself nuts with trying to follow all the 'advice', some of it dubious and unproven. Once you realise that you are not responsible for causing bc, then some of the stress about having to eat certain things/do certain things/behave certain ways diminishes.

Yes, 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer in their lifetime, with most cases being in the 50 plus age group. You could spend the next 40 or 50 years stressing about getting it, and be the unlucky 1 in 8, or you could be the lucky 7 out of 8 who don't. The point is that you don't and won't know, and wasting your life fearing it will - well waste your life. Breast cancer nowadays is a very treatable condition, the vast majority of women go on to live long and full lives after treatment. Treatments are individual, effective and tailored to the specific type of bc......with new treatments being developed all the time.

Ok, you are checking your breasts too much, although its great that you are breast aware. Once a month is sufficient, and more than that is counter productive as changes can be subtle and you need a gap between checks to see if there are changes. Adopt a generally healthy lifestyle without obsessing,stay in your weight range, exercise, deal with anxiety and stress effectively!! and eat well. That will be beneficial for your health in general, as developing other health conditions is more likely, statistically, than BC.

Oh and........I had breast cancer two years ago....it doesn't dominate my mind or thoughts from waking up to going to sleep. Infact, most days I don't think about it at all. ;)

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

Also, just to add, there are a lot of 'fears of breast cancer' threads on here....if you do a search you might get some advice and reading that could help ?

Elen
24-04-18, 16:18
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Fishmanpa
24-04-18, 16:25
Advice would be appreciated as this dominates my mind constantly, its the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing I think of when I go to sleep.

This has been controlling your life for a while now :weep: These are only words on a screen, they can't make you do anything. It's up to you! Seriously, the first step in getting better is actually taking the first step. You've already taken some real life steps in getting physically healthy. Take the next step in getting mentally healthy. TAKE THE MEDS! They'll give your mind a rest, and look into real life professional help to help you manage the irrational thoughts when they start taking over your mind.

Positive thoughts

Lanarose
24-04-18, 16:32
Thanks for this that was really helpful. Im glad your on the mend :) xx

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Thank you so much :) x

Carys
24-04-18, 16:47
Can I ask Lanarose (and thanks for your thanks lol) what difference the words I wrote have made to you? Will you check less ? Do you feel less concerned ? If the answer is no, then you do need to follow the advice of FMP and see your GP to discuss anxiety.

hyprolxag
24-04-18, 16:53
Let's think about this:
1. This is the best time in history that you can have cancer, most common types of cancer nowadays is completely manageable and easily detectable. Cancer is so deathly because its symptoms are so familiar with common illnesses. you are a well aware person, Your likelihood of bypass those symptom is so small.
2. At your age you are much more likely to die in a car accident than cancer. So keep your head straight when you drive. The median age of cancer patient is 70s so you still have a lot of time ahead.
3. The media keeps feeding you with cancer news, as it is raising awareness in the population, it also spreads fear. There is almost no chance a war between US and North Korea happen but the media make us think we are gonna die in a total nuclear war.

Anxious18
24-04-18, 18:21
Hi everyone.

I’m 18 years of age and I have recently started to suffer with HA. It mainly resolves around cancer and I’m constantly anxious and worried that I will be diagnosed with this.

It started with shooting pains across my head and the only way I can describe the pains is that it felt like a firework in my brain. Sounds stupid right? Anyway I googled and convinced my self I had a brain tumour and this literally took over my life I could not think about anything else apart from this.. I stopped taking my contraceptive pill as it could off been a side affect and suprise! Migraines have stopped but the pains were still there

So I was okay for a while.. was however still wasn’t lurking in my mind and I finding it hard to tell the difference between anxiety and normal instincts?

I have now got 3 swollen lymph nodes in my neck and a lump behind my ear. I’ve had ultrasound it’s come back fine but I’m still really anxious about this..

I guess the main reason I’m posting is because I feel like joining a site like this will make me feel at some sort of ease, HA honestly takes over and it is mentally & physically draining.

unsure_about_this
24-04-18, 20:14
I know how you fear

I worried about the big c a lot every symptom, I am in my 30s, I do have a health problem and disability.

I worried about every pain ache symptom, I been for a number of ultrasounds, a few scans, some was due to my health problem which is real.

I am going back to the GP next month even though I been once this month.

anom
25-04-18, 08:24
The last time I was a complete mess about cancer was when I was 14..I realise at 14 it was very very very pretty much impossible to be the type of cancer I was worried about..so I got over it

Now I'm 32 and have had another 3 months of constant panic over bowel cancer as its a pain that hasnt gone and doesn't seem to be anything else that I've read online....so it must be cancer

End result is I have a colonoscopy in 5hrs...so I guess I'm going to know one way or the other..

I do wonder if I get the all clear will I go down the path of did they miss it? or will I think it must be somewhere else? frankly I don't know because I've never actually ran the scenario over in my head where its good news..

I don't really know if I can offer any sort of advice, I suppose if your convinced you have something..like I do! then the only obvious solution is to get some sort of scan which proves it one way or the other. But if its more of a general fear of getting it..that might be a bit more tricky and need distractions/help

Lanarose
25-04-18, 10:41
They have put things in perspective quite a bit. I hadnt posted on here in a long time and I had become completely out of touch with reality a bit. Im still struggling but I will take the meds and I am waiting for councelling :)