PDA

View Full Version : Pricked my finger with a rusty pin

Megan99
15-02-17, 18:30
I pricked my finger with a slightly rusted safety pin today. A tiny dot of blood appeared a minuscule swelling followed. I am now terrified of tetanus because I don't think I bled out properly. I have had my tetanus shots and was wondering if that will protect me. I am going to the doctor anyway today but my appointment isn't for hours and I can't help but to wonder if I will last that long. Will I get tetanus? What are the chances?

Fishmanpa
15-02-17, 18:32
0% IMO... but ask your doctor. He may do a shot anyway just to cover the bases.

Positive thoughts

PASchoolSyndrome
15-02-17, 18:56
I can't name one ED doctor who's seen tetanus in the US. I had one attending who saw one case of tetanus in Uganda while on a year long medical trip. Tetanus is almost non-existent it's hat rare but we give tetanus shots out like candy.

That being said keep it clean and use antibiotic cream like neosporin on it because it could still get infected.

Rhiannon.
15-02-17, 19:19
I know how you feel. When my partner bought out house two years ago it was a DUMP. It hadn't been lived in for 2 years and when it was a lovely old lady lived there, but she had Alzheimer's and was bedbound for about 5 years.
The house took TONS of work and during which I stubbed my toe on a filthy, very rusty nail. I freaked like you did!

What happened? Nothing. Healed like any other cut!

Something to bear in mind is that rust doesn't cause things to transfer tetanus. It's something that is all around us but is really hard to contract. It's also very treatable. If you are worried still see your doctor since they might advise you to have another booster just to be safe (like my partner had to have when he went to work in Turkey for a month!)