PDA

View Full Version : petechial rash? very worried

ConorMDrew
16-02-17, 17:30
Hello, new here so I hope this post is in the right forum.

11 days ago I was just about to go to bed when I noticed a petechial rash, mainly on my ankles which spread outwards to my feet and lower legs. The rash was non blanching and not hugely obvious without a bright light. I called 111 because I was starting to panic about meningitis and they sent me to A+E. 4 hours, three blood tests and a urine sample later they said there was nothing out of the ordinary and that I could go home. The rash itself is still there, it doesn't hurt but since then I've developed a dull ache in my ankles and a little in my legs. No real obvious symptoms other than anxiety which can make me feel very shaky and generally stressed out about it all.

I'm just hoping someone has experience with petechial rashes, why they happen without meningitis and whether it's potentially something serious? Going to go to the GP tomorrow to calm my nerves...

Thank you!
Conor

PASchoolSyndrome
16-02-17, 18:27
Petechial rashes can occur from a multitude of reasons, meningitis actually being one of the uncommon ones. Most are harmless.

Your GP will help you get to the bottom of the cause and hopefully give you some peace of mind! Good luck with everything!

beatroon
16-02-17, 18:29
Hi Conor,

I did have a petechial rash once but I'm not sure it was a proper one - it was at the Olympics, and I spent two hours slapping my thigh for applause while I ate and drank with my other hand - got home, peeled off skinny jeans and there was a huge purple non-blanching rash on my thigh. It did fade but not immediately!

I think it sounds fair enough to go to your GP for this one - I'm sure they will write it off as nothing to worry about if you've had all your tests. Try not to worry about it in the meantime - do something fun and distracting tonight!

All the best!

ConorMDrew
17-02-17, 13:34
Thank you both for replying, glad to hear that they can occur for no reason. I know I definitely make myself feel worse by panicking though :(

ServerError
17-02-17, 13:40
I've no experience of these rashes myself, but I would certainly focus on the fact you're still worrying after being tested in A&E. You've essentially been given a clean bill of health, so why the continued worry?