PDA

View Full Version : Obsessing about control over body

GeraltRiva
17-02-17, 18:46
Hey guys,

I wonder if some of you ever had this weird obsession I'm experiencing at the moment.
I fear that I can somehow lose control over my own body.
Like I forget how to move my limbs and be paralyzed just through thinking.
I know it's just irrational and impossible, but it really bothers me, as I can't really relax because I'm moving all the time just to be sure I don't forget how to do it. It's weird.

Best regards

MyNameIsTerry
18-02-17, 12:12
I had a similar issue where I would be thinking how to move my limbs, breathe, fall asleep, how to construct a thought, etc. I was getting so deep into the need to control everything around me to control my anxiety.

It can be just the overthinking that we do.

There is a specific theme in OCD referred to as Sensorimotor OCD which also covers this but I would say that's more when it becomes dominant & overwhelming e.g. someone feeling they have to control their breathing because they won't otherwise breathe hence they attempt to manually control it all day every day.

Whilst there are a lot of OCD themes, we can experience many of them without them becoming dominant or them "sticking". I think that's why OCD classifications are only about Obsession or Compulsion and hence why all these sufferers terms (HOCD, ROCD, etc) are seen as themes or elements because they don't apply boundaries to our disorders to mean they can't switch between or overlap.

Brad10
25-02-17, 01:14
I'm going through that too It's scary but it's just an obsession because when I'm not worried about that I'm worried about something else

GeraltRiva
25-02-17, 17:58
Unfortunatly my condition became worse. I'm constantly feeling my whole body. It is like an ongoing muscle pain, which sometimes locates in the chest, arms or legs.
It feels similar to stiffness or a burning sensation. I'm really struggeling to get through the day with this constant painlike sensation. It really bothers me, because I just came out of this existential OCD stuff and did much better the last few weeks.
I feel like I'm back to square one and every day becomes a battle again. Can anyone of you give me an advice?

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 18:20
Hey guys,

I wonder if some of you ever had this weird obsession I'm experiencing at the moment.
I fear that I can somehow lose control over my own body.
Like I forget how to move my limbs and be paralyzed just through thinking.
I know it's just irrational and impossible, but it really bothers me, as I can't really relax because I'm moving all the time just to be sure I don't forget how to do it. It's weird.

Best regards

The few times I tried smoking pot 30 years ago, when I was a young teen, I felt this way.
Not only that but I felt that if I didn't focus on my breathing, I would forget to breathe, and die.
I felt like I would forget how to walk, how to control the muscles in my face, etc.
It was a terrifying experience both times, and it steered me away from ever trying drugs again.
I can only assume that marijuana does not have this effect on most people, but it certainly did on me.