PDA

View Full Version : Mr Panic is after me again - he won't win!!!

nomorepanic
19-04-07, 23:18
Hi all

As many of you know I have one main problem in my life and that is driving and I have made some fab progress towards overcoming it last year.

I thought I was cured until today!

I have to drive down the A14 every morning to get to work (2.5 miles) and there are always problems and accidents on it.

Today I drove up to it and could see it was stationary and they were queuing up the slip road so I decided to try the back route. Bad move! 15 minutes later and I had done about 1 mile and I knew that it was only 2.5 miles on the A14 and was moving just about as fast I was on the back roads.

So, I turned round and went back on the A14.

I was feeling a bit nervous but thought that it would be a good challenge as I hadn’t been stuck in traffic like this with no way out for a long time.

Off I went. You have to appreciate that this is my worst fear ever and I decided to face it.

We sat there and we moved a few yards every minute.

Then the road starts to go up and over the road below so gets quite high (well high enough if you don’t like heights!!). This is normally ok in the morning as the traffic is moving so I drive over it pretty quick and don’t notice it.

There are no pulling over places and nowhere to stop and nowhere to get off until the turn-off in over 2 miles.

I thought I was doing ok then wham it hit me – anxiety build big time. Feeling dizzy, shaky – you guys know it all.

Fine except I am stuck on the A14, can’t get off and can’t run away. Nowhere to go.

Lorry in front, lorry behind, lorry to the side – feel really shut in and hate it. Can’t see over the Lorries or around them.

So I start the deep breathing and playing with things in the glove compartment to distract myself. Not working. Try to remember what they said in CBT – would be ok if I wasn’t stuck and high up as the height fear is making things worse!

Traffic news says major delays cos lorry turned over so no idea how long I am stuck on there.

We start to drive up higher and I hate heights so now even if I dumped the car and ran, where would I go??? Stuck and getting very panicky.

Thoughts going through my head of how on earth I will get off. Can’t abandon car and walk the 1 mile (as it now was) there or the mile back so I am stuck.

Just me and the traffic and the car and my thoughts and panic.

Can’t control it so call Alex and ask him to talk to me and calm me down (he is good at this – done it so many times before bless him). He talks to me and I count down the mile and the yards to go before I can get off. I see the lorry overturned in road so see an end to it all.

At last I am off – nearly in tears and hands shaking.

Get to the office and walk in calm as anything and say sorry I was late – stuck on A14 (they already guessed that anyway).

Wanting to cry but having to hold it together as they know nothing about my problems.

So what have I learnt that is positive from this – thought it may help some of you. Here are some positives and negative thoughts:

“oh god I feel awful” – yes and I have been here so many times before and it just a feeling. Nothing bad will happen. I have never fainted or died!

“I can’t cope” – yes you can, you have coped with far worse that this and got through it.

“I can’t just leave the car and walk away” – you can but then what do you do? How do you get off the A14. You are safer in the car. Ok you abandon the car and cause more chaos and then still have to go and get it later and walk a long way.

“I hate this and can’t cope” – yes you can and you will. You have no choice. You are stuck on a road with no way off. You have to cope so JFDI. No-one can tele-port you out of this so deal with it and know you will be ok.

“I failed cos I called Alex and I am supposed to cope alone” – this is not failing it is using your backup help and support. You do not fail just cos you call someone and ask them to distract you. Look at it rationally – what did Alex did to help? Did he come and get you and drive you off the A14. No, all he did was reassure you that you were ok and that you would be fine. I was the one driving – not him.

“I will feel rubbish all day now cos I am all hyper and stressed” – no you won’t! Forget it, it is done and dusted. It can’t hurt you now and to dwell on it serves no purpose. You have a job to go to and you have to give that 100%. You can cry and sulk later if you want to.

“I will never go back on that road again” – oh yes you will cos avoidance will make it 10 times worse and then you will never do it. You will be back there again tomorrow and you will cope.

Just some thoughts anyway and I bet you have all had them. Thought it may help if I explained my thought process and how to challenge them.

It will be hard to get back on that road again when I see a traffic jam and of course I will remember today but part of our recover is to challenge, accept and move on.

No idea if this helps anyone but thought I would share it anyway.

normalwisdom
19-04-07, 23:44
Thanks for that Nic......:yesyes: Sounds awful but when I first read your post I thought...Oh No this is my driving mentor....and she has had a bad time:blush: not thinking of you obviously lol thinking of me:blush: . But reading the end of your post wow:shades: it takes a lot to analyse and come to terms with a bad time and you did it!...well JFDI.... everything you said is so true. BTW I still have YODA on my shoulder and I argue with him lol....see I am mad!:shrug: . I think this story should be in the success thread really. Well done you it doesn't feel nice at the time but its a blummin good feeling to get through it!:shades:

yorkylover
19-04-07, 23:51
Well done for sticking it out Nic.:yesyes:

debera
19-04-07, 23:59
WELL DONE NIC
LOVE DEBERA :hugs:

manmoor
20-04-07, 09:19
Well done you :D positivity is the golden key xxx

Trev
20-04-07, 09:38
Well done for sticking it out Nic. All fuel for the "confidence bank". Especially as you had just about every possible combination at the same time. Heights, blocked in by 3 lorries, not moving, no way out etc.

Well done ;-)

So you're driving Sunday then?

Trev x

Dying_Swan
20-04-07, 10:11
Hey Nic.

Thanks for posting this. And Well Done for sticking it out. Bad as it was at the time, I bet you were proud of yourself for getting through it?

I think you're so right in saying that the most important thing was to stay with it and not to run. You would have felt so much worse if you'd abandoned the car and fled. Momentary relief, but monumental stress afterwards!

The A14 is horrible. I sympathise, completely! Hope you managed it today and there were no delays. And well done again for getting through it. :) xx

Piglet
20-04-07, 10:16
Well done for turning every negative into a positive - totally the right way to go!!! :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

shoegal
20-04-07, 10:21
Nic!!!

Well done. I hope you gave yourself a big pat on the back for such a huge achievement! :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:
I really loved your post because it explained beautifully the fear and the thought processes. I can't drive but I was right there with you!
I experience exactly the same feelings in different situations when I feel trapped.

I hope you are really proud of yourself because you handled it brilliantly.

Well done, and thanks for such a great post. :flowers:

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

honeybee3939
20-04-07, 10:41
Nic

I Have been in the same sittuation many times, i can understand just how you must have felt!
So proud of you Nic for getting through it :yesyes: , as i know its quite easy just to throw in the towel!
That awful demon isnt going to get the better of you! You keep going gal!:)

Very proud of you !!!!:yesyes: :yesyes:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Paddington
20-04-07, 11:26
Oh Nic Mate:hugs: what a brilliant description of the panic process:ohmy: i was with you in that car hun,well you know i have the same thing and because of YOU i actually drive places now[made it to my mom's again on wednesday:) ]Nic you coped wonderfully,i do think it is important to have some one to call when it gets that bad..the dreaded i cant cope gota run thing..happened to me at a concert a couple of weeks back and you know i thought i had conquered them!!Sadley i dont think James taylor would have been too pleased if i had startd chatting down the phone during his performance:blush: So ,like you,i went again,and it was not only ok but fabulous [i have decided to marry him:) ]We can beat Mr Panic,and when he does rear his ugly head we do what YOU taught us Nic..JFDI:yesyes: so proud of you Nic,love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lisa smith
20-04-07, 11:37
Well Done. !!!!!!!!!!!!! You Did It.. Thats What I Call Progress ...:) :)

jo61
20-04-07, 11:59
Well done Nic. Just hope this morning's journey was easier. It's all about building confidence. In recover from anxiety I feel everything is ok when things are going well but face a crisis and everything changes. You coped so well.

jodie
20-04-07, 12:16
:yesyes: :yesyes: well done:yesyes: :yesyes:

it must of been hard but hey you did it .

jodie x

groovygranny
20-04-07, 12:47
Wow, WELL DONE Nic!! :yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

What a great post, very helpful - even though I nearly went off on one reading the part where you were up on that high road - trapped...ugh!!:ohmy:

You set it all out so clearly - and I especially liked the positive and negative thoughts at the end....must try and remember them!

Thank You! :flowers:

skylight2007
20-04-07, 14:07
It will be hard to get back on that road again when I see a traffic jam and of course I will remember today but part of our recover is to challenge, accept and move on.

No idea if this helps anyone but thought I would share it anyway.

:yesyes: Nic that is fab!!!! well done matey!!!! yes it is so hard at times but we can move on and the more we challenge mr Panic the more we have control!!!!

love Sky:hugs: :yesyes:

darkangel
20-04-07, 14:13
Nic you proved the panic didnt win - WELL DONE

and to continue into work as usual - you are so strong and inspirational

we can all beat this - thanks for sharing

darkangel x

kate
20-04-07, 15:29
Oh Nic, I felt for you sooo much reading your post. It was as if I was there with you, panicking away!

But, yet again, you have proved to yourself that even if the worst happens, you do cope with it and you do come out the other end.

Kate xxx

Wenjoy
20-04-07, 18:29
Hey Nic - well done - really proud ofyou - so honest and thoughts were understandable but the important thing is - YOU STAYED PUT - well done!
Love wenjoy x

honeybee3939
20-04-07, 18:40
Hi Nic

hope all went well with the driving today:) :)
It was my turn to have Mr Panic after me today, i was out with driving instructor on a busy road had a car right up my back-side:ohmy: for over 4 miles, Mr panic started, took the first exit left that i came to carried on driving until we got lost!:ohmy: my hour lesson endend up been 2 hours long!! Ohh i do feel sorry for my driving Instructor!
I am going to print your post off and stick it on the fridge! then i can use your knowledge next week.:ohmy:

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

prism
20-04-07, 22:25
you did a fantastic job whilst under the most difficult of circumstances.congratulations.:yesyes:

Karen
20-04-07, 23:25
Great post Nic.

Well done for coping with all of that. It shows us all however much things seem impossible to us when faced with panic we can and do cope somehow.

Hope to see you Sunday.

Karen xx

Granny Primark
22-04-07, 09:00
Well done nic!!!
You coped with my worst fears. Im petrified of traffic jams and heights.
I have major probs going over the Thellwall viaduct at Warrington with my even with my hubby driving.
Im sure your post will help and inspire the many others that suffer with this traffic jam fear. I never realised just how common it is.

Take care
LYNN xx

Dying_Swan
22-04-07, 09:32
Then the road starts to go up and over the road below so gets quite high

Driving back on the A14 last night I thought of this post and wondered where this bit was. Then it hit me! It's the same bit of the road I don't like, by that weird tower?!?! Lol. Wonder what it is about it that's not nice? It just seems a little 'enclosed'. Hmmm.

Hope you're feeling better about it now :blush:

nomorepanic
22-04-07, 21:29
Hi all

Thank you so much for all the replies and support - means a lot to me :hugs:

I went back on the A14 the next day and it was fine as there was no traffic queue. I am sure I will soon build up the confidence again if I do hit the traffic jams again.

Swan - yes that bit by the water tower is where I was - freaky isn't it???

Dying_Swan
22-04-07, 21:37
Lol yea. I drove down that way twice today and thought about it. It is a bit horrible. I always go as fast as I can (legal of course ;)) but think my car might veer off the road and over the edge?! Anyway, probably see you there sometime!

:)

Brandy snap
23-04-07, 02:59
I have great admiration for you Nic. I have only been out driving alone 12 times since I passed my test in 1971 (whilst 8 months pregnant!). Something I need to work on I think. Brandy Snap

domino
23-04-07, 12:01
Wow, just read your post nic, ahh, not sure i would have coped like you did, then again i would not be in the driving seat.How do i print off your post so that even as a passenger i can read your positives/negatives to get me through my anxiety especially on journeys.
WELL DONE

domino
23-04-07, 12:11
NIC, it,s ok managed to sort it, it,s printing out all replies but never mind:blush:

bobsy
23-04-07, 18:15
Hii NIc

Just want to say a BIG WELL done. you turned a negative into a very big positive.

Love bobsy x x x

nomorepanic
24-04-07, 18:53
Rickards - great news!

Bobsy - thanks a lot mate